Test kits/checkers

BeTreyed

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats good for testing water parameters?

So many brands of test kits and many different checkers as well.

I've used API and a few RedSea in the past, however, I know those are necessarily the best tests to be using. I'm not necessarily looking for the best of the best either, but accurate tests and decent refill pricing.

Any tests in particular you would recommend using a Hanna checker for? I've heard their phosphate ulr is really good, but any others recommended?

What about those of you with controllers, do you rely on some of your probes or still work with manual tests?

Thanks,

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use salifert for everything. The fancy ones are nice if you don't care about paying more for a little more ease of use. I don't see them as necessary. Just like paying for mp powerheads. Meh

OP
OP
BeTreyed

BeTreyed

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use salifert for everything. The fancy ones are nice if you don't care about paying more for a little more ease of use. I don't see them as necessary. Just like paying for mp powerheads. Meh
A lot of people recommended Salifert when I was last in the hobby about 10 years ago, but I never used them. Was curious if those were still a hot item. Not a fan of the MPs?

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mostly agree with Jekyl. Though having said that I do use hanna checker for phosphate and alk. I have a hard time with colors and those are two tests i want precise measurements that are easily read. Though i just use low range not ULR phoephate as i dont keep it that low to need it.

For nitrate i actually prefer API as it is easy for me to see that my levels are above zero but below 10 which is really all i care about. Salifert i have a real hard time distinguishing any color under 25 unless the reading is very low and i can look through the side for a low range measurement.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never had a problem with my salifert tests. As far as the MPs I can get 4 powerheads that do the same thing and can adjust angles for the same price.

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bulk Reef Supply has a bunch of YouTube videos where they compare test kits. These videos are usually organized by what is tested: nitrate, calcium etc. They give you a decent idea.

For phosphate, only Hanna makes a test that is sensitive enough to be of much use. I prefer their phosphorous test because it is more sensitive than their phosphate test.

Alkalinity. I have used Red Sea Pro, Salifert and Hanna. Hanna is supposed to be the most accurate but they all seem to perform about the same to me.

Calcium. I use the Red Sea Pro. It works so I have not messed with anything else.

Magnesium. I like Salifert. Red Sea Pro is erratic for me.

Nitrate. I like Red Sea Pro but Salifert is pretty similar and is a good test.

I rarely test for ammonia, I have not tested for nitrite since cycling the tank. I do not test for pH as it has not been a problem.

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is what I'm using and happy with:
GHL Probes for Salinity, Temp, and pH
GHL KHD for Alk
Hannah Aalk (great to double-check GHL)
Hannah Ca
Hannah ULR Phosphate
Nyos Nitrate
Seachem Ammonia

OP
OP
BeTreyed

BeTreyed

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bulk Reef Supply has a bunch of YouTube videos where they compare test kits. These videos are usually organized by what is tested: nitrate, calcium etc. They give you a decent idea.

For phosphate, only Hanna makes a test that is sensitive enough to be of much use. I prefer their phosphorous test because it is more sensitive than their phosphate test.

Alkalinity. I have used Red Sea Pro, Salifert and Hanna. Hanna is supposed to be the most accurate but they all seem to perform about the same to me.

Calcium. I use the Red Sea Pro. It works so I have not messed with anything else.

Magnesium. I like Salifert. Red Sea Pro is erratic for me.

Nitrate. I like Red Sea Pro but Salifert is pretty similar and is a good test.

I rarely test for ammonia, I have not tested for nitrite since cycling the tank. I do not test for pH as it has not been a problem.
Yeah I've watched the BRS video, at times it seemed like info overload. I appreciate you posting what you used. That's the info I'm looking for. What did you use for cycle? I'm not a huge fan of API, but that seems to me the best for that original cycle. Or did you just watch for Nitrate?

AJsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have relatively poor color vision when it comes to discerning differences on color charts. Hanna devices have been critical for me.

I’m a big fan of just about their whole line up with the exception of the calcium checker which is very sporadic with its readings.

I use the Alk, phosphorous and nitrate checkers most often

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 112 87.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back