Test kits?

mues

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you had to put together a list of test kits to buy when setting up your reef tank (first 6 months-1 year need only) what would you pick and why?

Starting to gather these as I get closer to setup for cycling and want to get a head start on the what and whys. tyia

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you had to put together a list of test kits to buy when setting up your reef tank (first 6 months-1 year need only) what would you pick and why?

Starting to gather these as I get closer to setup for cycling and want to get a head start on the what and whys. tyia
Ammonia, nitrite (depending on which cycling protocol you plan to use), nitrate, calcium, phosphorous,, Magnesium (more for reef tanks) alkalinity, pH - are standard tests a refractometer or something else to check salinity/specific gravity. If you plan to do a quarantine, you will need a copper test kit, and a thermometer

It's hard to explain in a short post the reason for each test.

OP
OP
mues

mues

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ammonia, nitrite (depending on which cycling protocol you plan to use), nitrate, calcium, phosphorous,, Magnesium (more for reef tanks) alkalinity, pH - are standard tests a refractometer or something else to check salinity/specific gravity. If you plan to do a quarantine, you will need a copper test kit, and a thermometer

It's hard to explain in a short post the reason for each test.
Appreciate it. I am watching as much youtube and doing as much reading as I possibly can. One thing I love about the hobby, you never stop learning.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Appreciate it. I am watching as much youtube and doing as much reading as I possibly can. One thing I love about the hobby, you never stop learning.
PS - welcome to R2R

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Absolutes for new systems are:
Ammonia
Nitrate
ph (optional)
refractometer or non-floating needle for salinity

Why:
A cycle is called a cycle when two things occur. . . . when ammonia rises then falls and achieves a steady reading of Zero for at least 5 days and when nitrate rises and falls and holds at 20 or below- you are cycled. Testing these two confirms both levels and what you should be seeing and monitoring.
Add ammonia chloride or something to increase ammonia initially to allow these to rise.
A typical cycle period is 10-14 days and you want to stock very slowly to allow denitrifying bacteria to keep up with new bio load as the tank matures

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back