Test Kits

Steven91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello fellow reefers,

I got my tank cycling and currently really excited to start stocking it though I need some help. I need to get a new test kit for it. I know I need to test Nitrates, Cal, Alk, and idk what else to test though I would take suggestions.

I do not want to spend a ton of money on getting test kit(s), I would like to try to keep cost down though I would like to get ideas on what to get.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the big 5
Ca
Mg
Alk
phosphates
nitrates
Some use different brands for each. I am leaning more and more that way.

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ELOS is the ONLY test kit with certified reagents from NIST(National Institute of Standards and Technology). I use the Nitrate and the Pro Phosphate test kit. Stay away from API Master test kit. I had a problem with it and I know someone else that did too.

OP
OP
Steven91

Steven91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ELOS is the ONLY test kit with certified reagents from NIST(National Institute of Standards and Technology). I use the Nitrate and the Pro Phosphate test kit. Stay away from API Master test kit. I had a problem with it and I know someone else that did too.

I use the API for my freshwater too, though I have been hearing a lot of issues with API in salt/reef tanks

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the API for my freshwater too, though I have been hearing a lot of issues with API in salt/reef tanks
Mine was fine at first. I always shook the bottle correctly. Then it started reading 40ppm when it was 1.5ppm. My friends was reading 80ppm right from the first test when it was 10ppm. That's way off!

Xclusive Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If ELOS is one the best how come I see soso reviews on google and on amazon? I always heard great reviews on Red Sea and Salifert test kits.

jeff williams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't had any issues with Api but I run a fowlr setup and from what I've read cal, mag,phos. Require a bit more accuracy then what most reefers see in api. I would suggest getting an api for your basic tests if you wanna keep cost down then replace kits you find inaccurate or hard to use with other brands

ezell_tonya

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salifert kits for CA and ALK are inexpensive about $20. I use seachem labs for nitrites and nitrates $16.

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If ELOS is one the best how come I see soso reviews on google and on amazon? I always heard great reviews on Red Sea and Salifert test kits.
There is only 1 thing I can see why a person would not like it. The color code chart does not go above 20ppm and they do not have a clean tank. I did 2 videos on YouTube how to use them. I did it with one hand, because the other hand was holding the tablet to video it. I seen complaints about the test kit being hard to use in the reviews. So to me what good are the reviews.
That's like saying why is anyone still using the test kits BRStv did results on. They were ALL inaccurate. I still see people saying great things about them and they have already been proven inaccurate. The proof is there.
With ELOS reagents NIST already approved of them.
Who else is stepping up to the plate to say our reagents are that good and we have an organisation backing them and putting their name on it? No one.
Say when someone goes to by a test kit and there is 4 kits in front of them. Red Sea, API, Salifert, and ELOS. Do they buy the one that every one uses. Which is API, Salifert, and Red Sea or do you go with the one that is not talked about and the ONLY kit willing to prove to their customers some kind of honesty(which is missing a lot in this hobby).
With these kits. Any error is user error. Not the reagents. The most important part of the test kit.

JimWelsh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still see people saying great things about them and they have already been proven inaccurate. The proof is there.
Then please provide the proof or else stop slandering these manufacturers. Back it up or stop saying it. You are the one making the assertion, so the onus is on you to actually provide the evidence to back up your assertion.

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Google:How important is nitrate testing and is my test kit accurate enough? | BRStv Investigates

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then please provide the proof or else stop slandering these manufacturers. Back it up or stop saying it. You are the one making the assertion, so the onus is on you to actually provide the evidence to back up your assertion.
ELOS Nitrate test kit.
The NO3 reagent from ELOS, especially developed for freshwater and seawater aquariums, allows the determination of the nitrate level with the help of a finely tuned color scale, which shows a range of 5 to 75 mg/L.

General Information
In order to maintain good water quality, a range of test kits that offer accuracy, consistency and support is an integral part of a successful aquarium. ELOS AquaTest Kits are designed, manufactured and tested to standards that are unparalleled in this industry. All ELOS AquaTest kits provide the following:

Calibrated Droppers: Bottles are designed to provide a consistent drop size, which is a key element in testing - regardless of who is squeezing the bottle the drop remains consistent. Many less expensive brands will rely on the cheapest possible bottles, syringes and tips that can easily skew the test results.

While all chemicals should be considered dangerous and handled accordingly, ELOS uses the highest-quality reagents that are nontoxic. All ELOS boxes, instructions and reagents are clearly labeled along with childproof packaging - that amazingly is not found in some of our competitors who base their kits largely on toxic chemicals! Of course, it is more costly to use such a high grade of reagents, use proper packaging and labels, but ELOS feels it is necessary. In some kits, you will even notice a raised label for people who are vision impaired.

Validation of Each Reagent Batch: NIST (National Institute of Standard and Technology) certified samples. While some may claim to use, "lab quality components" in their kits, ELOS validates each batch of reagents using these NIST certified samples.

Careful Batch Management: All chemical test kits are susceptible to damage from extreme temperatures. ELOS carefully ships and stores our test kits before they ship to the retailer or final customer. This is a vital step that often is neglected.

Written and Illustrated Instructions: Along with professionally calibrated color charts (when needed) make it easy for beginners through to experts, to use the kit correctly. Expiration dates, batch and lot numbers in every kit and every reagent, allow ELOS to carefully track - and when needed - assist customers with questions about their kit.

When purchasing your next kit, compare our track record of reliability, consistency and support, with any other test kit range on the market, and you will see that no test kit company compares. The ELOS Aqua Test Kit range is truly, a lab quality kit designed for the hobbyist.

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So unless steven91 wants to buy 3 test kits to combine for 1 test result to get accuracy. Like they PROVE on the brstv video. I recommend the ELOS test Kit at an affordable price which he was looking for and 1 test kit. That just so happens to be the ONLY kit that has reagents certified by NIST. ;)

JimWelsh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Google:How important is nitrate testing and is my test kit accurate enough? | BRStv Investigates
So, the first three minutes of the video is him describing all of the subjective qualities of the various test kits. Then, he out-of-hand dismisses Salifert with no really valid explanation of why. My favorite part is at 10:00 where he says a downside of the NYOS kit is that it "Doesn't read well below 0 PPM"! Well, dangit, what good is a NO3 test kit that can't read my ULNS tank's -1.0 level!?!? I could go on at how ridiculous this video is, but I'll stop there.

I see no "proof" of anything.

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, the first three minutes of the video is him describing all of the subjective qualities of the various test kits. Then, he out-of-hand dismisses Salifert with no really valid explanation of why. My favorite part is at 10:00 where he says a downside of the NYOS kit is that it "Doesn't read well below 0 PPM"! Well, dangit, what good is a NO3 test kit that can't read my ULNS tank's -1.0 level!?!? I could go on at how ridiculous this video is, but I'll stop there.

I see no "proof" of anything.
So you did a great job at picking it apart. Good for you. What did the numbers say? That's all that matters to a test kit right? THERE IS YOUR PROOF! I could care less about what he says, because they are considerate to do enough to show PROOF. What you asked for.
Say it so we all can see it.
Were the "test results" accurate on the Red Sea or NYOS?

Nice job by the way slandering BRStv by calling what they do ridiculous. One of the most respected companies in the hobby that is actually doing something every week to inform the community.
Have you ever tried to make a video and prove accurate test results to the community so we can pick you apart.. Please by all means do! Prove to use you are better. They spend a lot of money to show us something. Pony up your money, go get your Selifer test kit PROVEN. Till you do or BRS does. You have NO PROOF that it is accurate. FACT! Mic drop..

Sharvey103

ReefAddicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is only 1 thing I can see why a person would not like it. The color code chart does not go above 20ppm and they do not have a clean tank. I did 2 videos on YouTube how to use them. I did it with one hand, because the other hand was holding the tablet to video it. I seen complaints about the test kit being hard to use in the reviews. So to me what good are the reviews.
That's like saying why is anyone still using the test kits BRStv did results on. They were ALL inaccurate. I still see people saying great things about them and they have already been proven inaccurate. The proof is there.
With ELOS reagents NIST already approved of them.
Who else is stepping up to the plate to say our reagents are that good and we have an organisation backing them and putting their name on it? No one.
Say when someone goes to by a test kit and there is 4 kits in front of them. Red Sea, API, Salifert, and ELOS. Do they buy the one that every one uses. Which is API, Salifert, and Red Sea or do you go with the one that is not talked about and the ONLY kit willing to prove to their customers some kind of honesty(which is missing a lot in this hobby).
With these kits. Any error is user error. Not the reagents. The most important part of the test kit.

NIST certified reagents only mean they matched against a NIST standard not that NIST certified them. It also depends on which grade of standard it was matched against - ultrex grade or pharmaceutical grade which is actully not that great because of impurities levels compared to ultrex.

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NIST certified reagents only mean they matched against a NIST standard not that NIST certified them. It also depends on which grade of standard it was matched against - ultrex grade or pharmaceutical grade which is actully not that great because of impurities levels compared to ultrex.
Since you brought it to my attention. I sent an email to find out everything about them. Let's find out how much they are twisting words around, because I am also interested in how technical they truly are.
The only 2 questions that comes to mind with all this being said. If ELOS is matching their standard to NIST be it whatever grade.
1)What are all these other companies matching their standard to or is there even one?
2)Do the other companies just say we can make something to detect it and having a ballpark figure is good enough for the aquatic community? Which seems to be the case.
That's where I am kind of hard pressed about it all, because like you said if there are impurities in a pharmaceutical grade. Can you imagine the impurities in a non graded reagent or of a company with no standard. On a positive note. At least we have one that does, hopefully.

JimWelsh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reference to NIST in the ELOS literature quoted above is to their use of "NIST certified samples" to validate their reagents. This means that they are using NIST reference materials to verify that their reagents are the proper concentration. It does not really have anything to do with the "impurities" in the reagents themselves. That's an entirely different topic.

While it is true that using NIST reference materials is a great way to standardize reagents, it is also true that for common tests such as alkalinity, nitrate, calcium, magnesium, etc., each of these has readily available methods that are well known for creating primary standards that can be used to standardize the reagents. For each of these, its just not that hard to create reference materials against which the reagents can be standardized. You don't really need NIST for that.

The NIST argument goes to the reagents' accuracy, not their purity.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 32.8%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back