Test kits

Checkitout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just wondering what test kits you are using. Also, I was wondering if there is a more accurate name brand of test kits than others.

yellojello

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
API - Alk
Elos - CA and Mag

May try Salifert next, seems like syringes may be easier and more accurate than counting drops.

Some tips I have encountered

- instead of the test tubes they give you, Pharmacy or little plastic cups/containers seem to mix and swoosh around better. Test tubes, you have to put cap on and invert several times
- shake each bottle before use, before uncapping, flick the top of the bottle a few times so there is no fluids stuck in the nozzle, also, after opening cap, squeeze a few times upright to push out tiny fluid/bubbles so the nozzle is clear
- if there is any fluid on the outside of the nozzle, wipe off

- it is most important to be consistent. Elos readings may be different than Salifert, but just as long as you stick to one, and you get consistent readings and adjust water parameters accordingly.
- before, I had free water tests for the first few months at my LFS (only 5 min away) before I got comfortable doing it myself. They used Salifert, and their readings was just a little off to my Elos.

Speg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a red sea master test kit but it's so annoying to try and determine which color the vial is.

I also have salifert tests and those are sooooo much easier to determine what your levels are.

Last edited:

milkman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
API for everything except mag which I use Salifert.

SaraB

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just switched from using Salifert for years over to Elos for CA and Mag and LaMotte for Alk and Nitrate.

Devilboy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ammonia, Nitrate, Nitrite - API
Ca, Mag, Alk - Salifert
Phosphate - Hanna

bigbill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i bought mardel test strips just to see if they work and i get the same every time when i checkit wiith my red sea master there simple and quick and cost about 13 bucks for 25 test it test for nitrate nitrite alkalinty and ph

OP
OP
Checkitout

Checkitout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok it looks like the over all choice is ELOS. I really need to buy some test kits soon because I tested my water yesterday for cal with a salifert test and the cal came back 200, but I just changed the water 24hrs before. So either my corals really really suck up the cal or the test kit was messed up. O also the test kit is about 1yr old and had been sitting in a garage for about 6 months so that also might have something to do with it. I also started noticeing some of my acros tips bleaching as well as the bottoms of them. I have no clue whats up with that. Any suggestions? Also where do you buy your test kits from? My local fish store only has API.

doughboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always used api and they are just fine. however, in the last two bottles of api test for ca, my reading is always very high, like over 600. I actually bought the second bottle because I think the first one may be going bad, but that was not the case, the readings are the same. then I got a salifert ca and the readiing I get now is 450-460. so there must be something in the tank that is causing the api ca reading to go high.

I did use both api and salifert ca test a long time ago and did not find any difference between the two, maybe between 10-20, usually 10 or less, good enough to just use api. and the extreme high ca reading has just happened on my last two bottles of api ca.

api does not have mag kit so I use salifert. I still use api for alk.

Last edited:

_Alex_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My api cal test has been reading 550 but about out of bottle 2 going to get a sali or elos and see what they read

yellojello

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just switched from using Salifert for years over to Elos for CA and Mag and LaMotte for Alk and Nitrate.

@SaraB

Which do you find easier to use? Salifert Syringes or Elos Drops? Do you like Elos after the switch?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 38 32.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back