Test kits

Marine Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

I have the standard salt water API test kit, but I’m looking for that is more specific to reefs. Any suggestions? Or is there a better way to piece a good kit together?
I understand that everyone has a specific brand that they like better than others, I am not particular to one brand so as long as it has had success in good with it.

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the Hannah checker for phosphate and alkalinity. I use Red Sea for Nitrate, Ca, Mg. I think I have some Salifert kits too.
I don't use the Hannah checker for Nitrate since I've seen so many negative posts about the results and the 3724 step process.

fcmatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the Hannah checker for phosphate and alkalinity. I use Red Sea for Nitrate, Ca, Mg. I think I have some Salifert kits too.
I don't use the Hannah checker for Nitrate since I've seen so many negative posts about the results and the 3724 step process.

Ditto. Hanna for ultra low phos and alk. Red sea for everything else because close enough is good enough. You also get a red sea alk kit in their larger reef kit to double check hanna on occasion.

NashobaTek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm also looking for suggestions to replace the API tests. So Thanks for the suggestions!

elorablue

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I first bought the API saltwater master kit .which is PH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. I must say it has served me well. I'll switch to another nitrate kit when this one is done.
I added the Hanna checkers for Alkalinity and phosphate and like them a lot. Hanna digital for salinity.
For Magnesium and calcium I use the Salifert kits which for someone with iffy eyesight like myself are a pita.

OneSockERock

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use...

Hanna for Alk and phosphate
Red Sea for NO3, NH3
Aquaforest for Mg
Refractometer for salinity (definitely pick up a 35ppt calibration solution from amazon)

I also use Hanna for Ca right now, works ok. I see about +/-10 ppm on back to back tests and it's more expensive per test reagent wise, so I won't really recommend that one. I've used Red Sea in the past for Ca and liked it.

Just picked up a Nyos for NO3, haven't tried it out, but it's supposed to be good.

M Stein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would use.
PH = API
Nitrate = salifert
Low Range Nitrate = Red Sea Pro
Phosphate = Hanna
Alkalinity = Salifert (when you use a 'Smart Stir' Salifert is even easier than Hanna)
Calcium = Red Sea (the dropper bottle is better than Salifert's in this one)
Magnesium = Salifert

And make sure to get a Smart Stir it's well worth the money.
Smart Stir - Magnetic Stirrer for Test Kits - AutoAqua - Bulk Reef Supply

NashobaTek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hanna ULR phosphorous.

Alkalinity - Hanna, Red Sea Pro or Salifert. All of these are subject to wobble in the results so multiple tests are necessary for a good read. But if you just want ball park, one is enough.

Nitrate - I like Red Sea Pro but Salifert is fine too.

Calcium - I use Red Sea Pro but I bet Salifert is good.

Magnesium - Red Sea Pro drives me nuts so I use Salifert.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 50 48.1%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 58 55.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 25 24.0%
  • None.

Votes: 26 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 8.7%

Back