Test Reading Help

Ashley0925

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all I have been cycling my tank for about 4 Weeks now and am starting to see the algae take off on my live rock....I would like to add some cleaners but not sure based off my chemistry it’s quite ready....I am using the API test kit and if I just use my tubes vs test card which lowest numbers are 0.25 they look good to go, however I usually go on and mix a control sample with some Salt RODI I have from LFS and I can see a slight difference esp in nitrites.....but against card you’d prob call it 0......any suggestions on making a determination?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If algae is growing then there are nitrates in the system. API isn't the best testing equipment. I would double check your numbers and have your LFS test them. As long as ammonia and nitrates are gone then I'd do a water change and add some life.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When ready for CuC I recommend ordering from reefcleaners.org and get the package for half your tank size. Reef pods are a good idea while you're at it.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4 weeks is very early to be seeing algae, did you do a big water change after the cycle?

if no corals and you have lights on I would turn them off, will help with the algae.

OP
OP
Ashley0925

Ashley0925

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank u I have looked at reefcleaners website before and I’m glad you mentioned to go with half the tank size because when I looked at the packages for my tank I thought holy cow that’s a lot of critters. Do you prefer Red Sea? My LFS (which is okay at best) actually uses an API kit because I was taking water in for them to test while starting and noticed that’s what they had and just purchased one to save trips.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use salifert for all of my testing
Red sea and Hannah are both good too

OP
OP
Ashley0925

Ashley0925

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4 weeks is very early to be seeing algae, did you do a big water change after the cycle?

if no corals and you have lights on I would turn them off, will help with the algae.
I used Fritzyme Turbo 900. No water changes so far but some of my live rock do have coral so I do have lights on 8 he cycle. On my set up I used LFS RODI saltwater, wet live rock from LFS, live sand and the Turbo which I am assuming is why I’m ahead of the usual schedule.....I am in no real hurry to add livestock but was asked from my LFS if I would be willing to try the Turbo and give my feedback.

OP
OP
Ashley0925

Ashley0925

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use salifert for all of my testing
Red sea and Hannah are both good too
Ok thanks I have looked into the Hanna digital system but had seen a lot of mixed reviews and for the price didn’t want to take the gamble.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the turbo and live rock you should be ready for a large water change and adding fish and cuc

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 7.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 64 76.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 6.0%
Back