Test recommendations

LDswims

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently getting my tank established. It is cycled and I am slowly but surely adding cleanup crew, at present. I'm a ways off from adding coral and am inclined towards SPS. So with that intro...

I know I don't want to go forward with API tests. They are too guessy. I have already aquired a Hanna alkalinity tester and feel much better about what is going on there - I'd had alkalinity through the roof but pH falling. I've now got alkalinity under control and pH stabilized. Now I'm learning to tweak and the Hanna tester has helped immensely.

So what tester do I acquire next? I am using up API through my various cyclings as I add each new fish. I see so many things say that ammonia doesn't matter in an established aquarium, but ... I can't wrap my head around that one. I'm inclined towards either pH or a salinity/TDS tester. Am I on the right track thinking to work toward those? I want to have all quality testers in hand before I start adding coral.

I'm looking for opinions....but also the reason "why".

OP
OP
L

LDswims

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a quality and readable phosphate test kit (not API). If you don't have something to measure salinity, get that ASAP.
What do you recommend for a phosphate test? Hanna? I do have a hydrometer but I am looking to improve there, as well. At least, for now, I know ballpark numbers.

bushdoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to run Reef Tank with SPS or mixed reef you need:
  • Ca (Salifert, Aquaforest)
  • Alkalinity
  • Mg (Salifert)
  • Ultra Low Phosphate Checker by Hanna
  • Nitrate checker is usefull too (Hanna)
Quality Hydrometer, like Tropic Marin is more than enough
pH probe or checker is nice to have too

Propane

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like Hanna for Alk, Phos, Nitrate. For calc and mag I use Aquafirest and both those tests come in a pack with Alk for like 55.00 us. Salifert also makes some decent test kits.

I use a Hannah pen and refractometer for salinity.

OP
OP
L

LDswims

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don't already have a way to test salinity, this is the priority.
(You only test TDS in fresh water (RODI))
I do have a hydrometer but I want to improve on that. And understood about what to test TDS on. Do you have a recommendation for a refractometer or salinity tester?

BanZI29

Still just a reefer noob!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I have for testing and all of it has always been accruate ( 2 LFS's have tested for me and mine have been right on)

Alk = Hanna
Calcium = Red sea Calcium pro
Nitrate = Hanna high range
Phos = Hanna Phosphorus ULR ( need to get the conversion chart for this one)
salinity = Refractometer
pH = Hanna
Mag = Aquaforrest

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

LDswims

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome...thanks y'all! In doing my research I was coming up with a lot of these recommendations but there are always the naysayers. I am grateful for being able to read personal opinions and experiences!

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any cheap refractor should work. The key is having accurate calibration fluid and using it. Randy has a DIY recipe that is easy and super cheap to make. I've been using an atc refractometer that I bought for like $25 years ago. I'd break a hydrometer because I'm a klutz but it's alway good to have 2 methods to measure for comparison purposes.
Other recomdations look good. Hanna ulr for phosphate and high range nitrate. The low range nitrate is a total pita to use and not needed unless you're running an uln system.

bandando

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which misurator for phosphate? Hanna 736 (phosphorus) or Hanna 774 (ultra low phosphate) ?
I have to buy one of them and I prefer 736.
Any advise?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 36.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 26 29.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back