Testing a Kalkwasser source?

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve bought a load of Kalkwasser (well, calcium hydroxide). I’ve got an idea that there should be a simple way to check if it’s acceptable to dose to the tank intentionally, as opposed to unintentionally, lol.

Perhaps we could compare bulk supply results.

I imagine an ICP test would give an idea. Can anyone describe a reliable method of obtaining a solution to send away and test? I’m thinking a saturated solution should be ok to have tested? Perhaps dissolving some with Hydrochloric and making a solution from that to include the normally precipitated stuff?

Thanking you muchly.

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve bought a load of Kalkwasser (well, calcium hydroxide). I’ve got an idea that there should be a simple way to check if it’s acceptable to dose to the tank intentionally, as opposed to unintentionally, lol.

Perhaps we could compare bulk supply results.

I imagine an ICP test would give an idea. Can anyone describe a reliable method of obtaining a solution to send away and test? I’m thinking a saturated solution should be ok to have tested? Perhaps dissolving some with Hydrochloric and making a solution from that to include the normally precipitated stuff?

Thanking you muchly.

I did some ICP testing and give some specification purity data here:

OP
OP
Garf

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did some ICP testing and give some specification purity data here:

Fabulous.

So, if I were to do this;

“None of the samples were filtered, but all looked visibly clear.. The quicklime sample was made suspending 1 g of quicklime (Mississippi Lime Co. Vertical Calcium Oxide: CODEX (Food Grade) Pulverized Quicklime; Figure 1) in 1 L of deionized water. The sludge sample was prepared using 2.9 g of sludge (a mixture of water and solids) in 1 L of deionized water. The solid quicklime and sludge samples were acidified to pH 2 using reagent grade concentrated hydrochloric acid to be sure it all dissolved.”

That would be my starting point? And see what turns up on ICP?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fabulous.

So, if I were to do this;

“None of the samples were filtered, but all looked visibly clear.. The quicklime sample was made suspending 1 g of quicklime (Mississippi Lime Co. Vertical Calcium Oxide: CODEX (Food Grade) Pulverized Quicklime; Figure 1) in 1 L of deionized water. The sludge sample was prepared using 2.9 g of sludge (a mixture of water and solids) in 1 L of deionized water. The solid quicklime and sludge samples were acidified to pH 2 using reagent grade concentrated hydrochloric acid to be sure it all dissolved.”

That would be my starting point? And see what turns up on ICP?

The only concern is how much the hobby icp companies have optimized their procedures for seawater and whether kalkwasser can give reliable results. I presume that folks who can test RO/di can test those, but it would be useful to tell them it is kalkwasser in case that impacts handling.

Maybe Christoph can advise.., @Christoph

Christoph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

Thanks Randy for tagging me to interesting questions :)

ICP is very matrix sensitive, since salt content changes viscosity (which changes nebulization/sample introduction). Aswell high matrix lowers plasma temperature and thus excitation pattern for different elements. This is why it is important to have matrix-matched standards.

Having a "freshwater sample" in an seawater optimized sequence (or the other way round) would give very unreliable data. In general it is important for the lab to know what to expect in a sample, otherwise the data will be unreliable and there is the risk of machine problems (and possibly damage).

We also do analysis of salts/raw materials, but it would be recommended to send us the solid (otherwise there might be contaminants from the water and dissolution progress). We can then dissolve the solid in lab grade water (+ nitric acid whenever required) and measured it on IC and ICP-MS. Due to the detection power of ICP-MS only very dilute siluations are required to get an accurate elemental profile (thus limiting matrix influence).

For the technically interested: We are furthermore using internal standards to correct for slight variations in dissolved solids/matrix, but this could never correct the gap between seawater/freshwater.

If you are interested in getting such an analysis done, you can PM me for details on the process and pricing.

all the best,
Christoph

OP
OP
Garf

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

Thanks Randy for tagging me to interesting questions :)

ICP is very matrix sensitive, since salt content changes viscosity (which changes nebulization/sample introduction). Aswell high matrix lowers plasma temperature and thus excitation pattern for different elements. This is why it is important to have matrix-matched standards.

Having a "freshwater sample" in an seawater optimized sequence (or the other way round) would give very unreliable data. In general it is important for the lab to know what to expect in a sample, otherwise the data will be unreliable and there is the risk of machine problems (and possibly damage).

We also do analysis of salts/raw materials, but it would be recommended to send us the solid (otherwise there might be contaminants from the water and dissolution progress). We can then dissolve the solid in lab grade water (+ nitric acid whenever required) and measured it on IC and ICP-MS. Due to the detection power of ICP-MS only very dilute siluations are required to get an accurate elemental profile (thus limiting matrix influence).

For the technically interested: We are furthermore using internal standards to correct for slight variations in dissolved solids/matrix, but this could never correct the gap between seawater/freshwater.

If you are interested in getting such an analysis done, you can PM me for details on the process and pricing.

all the best,
Christoph
Thanks Christoph. I don’t think this needs to be super duper accurate, as I’m pretty sure nobody will know what you can and can’t get away with putting in the tank at really low levels. I really would like a simple “Under no circumstances put this rubbish in your tank” type gross test.
I’m gonna see what ICP tests the local LFS has got and give one of them a call, see what they suggest.

Cheers

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 126 59.2%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 29.1%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 76 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 36 16.9%
  • Other

Votes: 63 29.6%
Back