Testing kits.

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like Hanna meters, but the calcium one isn't known for being super accurate. So it depends on how much you care about accuracy.

Now the phosphate and alkalinity can't be beat for accuracy and convience. I've never used the Hanna salinity probe so no thoughts on that one from me.

Regardless of what you pick, pick a test kit you will actually use consistently. A super accurate and fancy test kit doesn't do you any good if your not using it.

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like Hanna meters, but the calcium one isn't known for being super accurate. So it depends on how much you care about accuracy.

Now the phosphate and alkalinity can't be beat for accuracy and convience. I've never used the Hanna salinity probe so no thoughts on that one from me.

Regardless of what you pick, pick a test kit you will actually use consistently. A super accurate and fancy test kit doesn't do you any good if your not using it.
If your going to pick an choose I'd say salifert or Red Sea for Calcium but stick with Hanna for other 2.

However ultimately your going to be the one that has to use them. So pick the test kit/method that you like the best.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get the hanna alk, phosphate, nitrate (or nyos), vee gee refractometer for salinity

OP
OP
DKPminus

DKPminus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your input. have a refractometer already but never tested for cal, phos or alk. No problems yet but just thinking to start watching levels.

Suohhen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the above and can add that alk is one of those tests that is fast easy and accurate seemingly no matter what kit you use out of the top brands.
The salinity meter has a known issue where it can be low, seemingly often around .03 sg low depending on the system. I don't know how common this issue is. But Atc refractometers are the standard for sure when it comes to salinity.

TCoach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have Hanna for Alk, Ca, ULR Phosphate, HR Nitrate., and the salinity checker Love that I don’t have to try and figure out colors anymore!

Ryan3313

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Hanna for phos and alk. Nyos for mag and red sea for cal mag and alk. The Hanna and Red sea for alk results have been pretty close so far.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back