Testing Kits

cdnco2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am seeing a lot of people saying to dump the API tests. I had got the API Saltwater and Reef Master kits (some over lap in reagents). I don't have coral yet so I have only been tracking Ammonia, Nitrites and Nitrates with my API Saltwater Master kit. I have a digital tester for PH and Salinity TDS etc. What would be good tests kits to get?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use salifert. Start with alkalinity, nitrate and phosphate. Once you get more into coral add calcium and magnesium.

fishski13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am seeing a lot of people saying to dump the API tests. I had got the API Saltwater and Reef Master kits (some over lap in reagents). I don't have coral yet so I have only been tracking Ammonia, Nitrites and Nitrates with my API Saltwater Master kit. I have a digital tester for PH and Salinity TDS etc. What would be good tests kits to get?
Yeah I agree with the API test kits being bad as many of them give false positives. I wouldnt worry about an ammonia and nitrite tester since once you cycle your tank its very rare you will be testing them. I would look into getting a different nitrate tester as that is one of the most tested things out there. The Aquaforest and Salifert test kit for nitrate is good if you are on a budget, but the hanna tester is also really good if you want to spend a little more. I would also look into getting a phosphate kit for now. Once you start coral you will need to get more testers.

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bulk Reef Supply has videos on various test kits and their information can be interesting and useful but it is not definitive.

API tests can be useful but they tend to be quick and dirty (approximate or misleading).

Nitrate - I use Red Sea pro. Salifert is OK,. I have heard good things about the Hanna High Range Nitrate.

ALK - I often use Red Sea Pro, Salifert and Hanna. Hanna tends to rate out the highest but I think that the others are comparable with Salifert costing the least.

Calicum - I use Red Sea Pro. Salifert is probably fine (but I have not used it). Hanna has some problems with you having to dilute it (or so I have heard).

Phosphate - Only Hanna ULR are sensitive enough to be useful. I use the Hanna ULR phosphorous which is the most sensitive.

Mg - Red Sea Pro dives me nuts. Salifert seems to be OK. But I am not convinced that any of the tests are very accurate.

OP
OP
cdnco2004

cdnco2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered Hanna HR Nitrate, ULR Phosphate, Calcium, Magnesium and Alkalinity.

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is hard to determine which test kit is 'the best'.

In my opinion, the best indicator is which one you can use to get a consistent result. Below might work for me on a consistent basis, but not for you! Trial and error- compare the test kits out there and find what suits you better!

Here's what I use:

Salinity: Milwaukee MA887 refractometer

Alkalinity: Hanna HI-772 (dKH)

Calcium: Red Sea (Primary) / NYOS (Control) - Just sold my Hanna checker because it did not give me a consistent reading

Magnesium: Red Sea (Primary) / NYOS (Control)

Phosphate: Hanna HI-774 Ultra Low Range Phosphate

Nitrate: HI-782 Marine Nitrate High Range

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is hard to determine which test kit is 'the best'.

In my opinion, the best indicator is which one you can use to get a consistent result. Below might work for me on a consistent basis, but not for you! Trial and error- compare the test kits out there and find what suits you better!

Here's what I use:

Salinity: Milwaukee MA887 refractometer

Alkalinity: Hanna HI-772 (dKH)

Calcium: Red Sea (Primary) / NYOS (Control) - Just sold my Hanna checker because it did not give me a consistent reading

Magnesium: Red Sea (Primary) / NYOS (Control)

Phosphate: Hanna HI-774 Ultra Low Range Phosphate

Nitrate: HI-782 Marine Nitrate High Range

I use a refractometer and it works well. It is good to have calibration fluid on hand also to check the refractometer when the reading is off. I use this one and Red Sea Pro and Salifert to cross check. I have found that all three have about the same amount of variation which seems rather odd.

Alkalinity: The Hanna detector is quite good. It is fast and easy and gives a numerical result rather than reading a color end point. But, for some peculiar reason, Hanna seems incapable of producing a consistent reagent. When I use up one reagent, there is almost always a significant shift with the bottle of new reagent.

Magnesium - I never could get consistent results with Red Sea Pro. I use Salifert and it isn’t the greatest. Given that 1300 is a normal reading, a 10% variation (which would not be so bad), one could expect getting results from 1430 - 1170 which is rather unsettling. Even a 5% variation would give results from about (rounding here) 1380 - 1220.

Phosphate - I use ULR phosphorous but the ULR phosphate is a good choice.

Nitrate - I use Red Sea Pro but the Hanna high range nitrate has gotten outstandingr reviews.

The thing is that any test can be off. To really understand your test you have to calibrate against a set of known standards which are not really available. One could brew up your own with an good balance and the proper reagents but that is probably more effort than most people are willing to undertake. The major thing is that the tests can indicate trends. Is something getting higher and lower and about the level of change.

Calcium - I use Red Sea Pro and it works well enough.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.9%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.1%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 71 42.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%

Back