Testing new salt mix; super high ph

Schulks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pH is 8.6 but I'm using salifert and the test only goes up to 8.6. I mixed this water up about 2 days ago. I use a salt mixing station that is only 3 months old.

I am assuming I need to change my RO/DI filters based on the nutrients. I have 2 stages of DI and one is used up but I have been lazy.. Carbon blocks were changed about 3 months ago and I only use about 30 gallons a week. Sediment was changed 3 months ago too. RO was changed 4 months ago.

This is the Tropic marin pro reef salt.

parameters

Sg - 1.0255
pH - 8.6/8.6+ (Salifert)
NO3 - 0.5 (nyos)
PO4 - 0.03 (Hanna phosphorus ULR)
kH - 6.9 (Salifert)
Ca - 420 (salifert)
NH3 - 0 (red sea)
NO2- 0 (Salifert)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Schulks

Schulks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems like my kH and Ca are evaporating and that is causing pH to rise. if that is right how can I prevent this in my mixing tank?

Keep the heater off?

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not even sure where to start...

First, Alk and calcium don't evaporate.
Second, you can't judge "nutrients" in your RODI water by testing saltwater.
Third, although I doubt the pH is actually as high as your results, I can't imagine a pH of 8-9 will make much difference once you do a water change.

Hopefully someone who uses the same salt can chime in with more specific guidance.

OP
OP
Schulks

Schulks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Erin1971Texas I still have at least 3/4 of the second canister. I assumed the second one was still enough but I guess it leeches past that once it is full.

I read you can't test RODI water with hobby test kits so I was just trying to figure it out. If I test different salt mixes and I don't have phosphate/nitrate in one it would tell me it is the salt not the RODI.

I was mostly worried about the pH because my test maxes out at 8.6 and it was new salt. I'll probably just try the mix I guess.

Last edited:

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PH in saltwater is mainly a measurement of how much Co2 is the water(up to an equilibrium point). The higher the Co2, the lower the PH, and vice vs.

Let the mix sit for a while with no movement. Bet the PH will drop.

Not a concern after the water sits for a bit with no movement.

All salt mixes add a small amount of phosphate and nitrate. This small amount is usually negligible in the grand scheme.

If your product water isn't 0 on a TDS meter, it's time to change some filters.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems like my kH and Ca are evaporating and that is causing pH to rise. if that is right how can I prevent this in my mixing tank?

Keep the heater off?

It's not. Slow down on wild hypotheses.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pH is 8.6 but I'm using salifert and the test only goes up to 8.6. I mixed this water up about 2 days ago. I use a salt mixing station that is only 3 months old.

I am assuming I need to change my RO/DI filters based on the nutrients. I have 2 stages of DI and one is used up but I have been lazy.. Carbon blocks were changed about 3 months ago and I only use about 30 gallons a week. Sediment was changed 3 months ago too. RO was changed 4 months ago.

The important part of the RO/DI in this context is the DI. Are you monitoring the output by TDS to know if the DI is depleted?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just switch to Reef Crystals, problem. Solved!

Thank me later!

How about we get more info before thanking you. lol

You believe this is a salt mix issue? Why? If the alk is 7 dKH, aerated salt water won't have a pH of 8.6

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This is the Tropic marin pro reef salt.

parameters

Sg - 1.0255
pH - 8.6/8.6+ (Salifert)
NO3 - 0.5 (nyos)
PO4 - 0.03 (Hanna phosphorus ULR)
kH - 6.9 (Salifert)
Ca - 420 (salifert)
NH3 - 0 (red sea)
NO2- 0 (Salifert)

The pH is most likely inaccurate, unless you did very little aeration. How did you aerate it?

More aeration will ensure the pH is below 8.4, regardless of what the kit reads.

Do you see precipitate on the bottom of the mixing container?

OP
OP
Schulks

Schulks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The important part of the RO/DI in this context is the DI. Are you monitoring the output by TDS to know if the DI is depleted?
TDS is 0 going out of DI and 3 going in.

It's not. Slow down on wild hypotheses.
I mixed up the words precipitate and evaporate. x((.. My kH and calcium are lower than the box lists and the ph is high.

The pH is most likely inaccurate, unless you did very little aeration. How did you aerate it?

More aeration will ensure the pH is below 8.4, regardless of what the kit reads.

Do you see precipitate on the bottom of the mixing container?

My water storage container is not aerated. It has a fitting lid on it too. This is the tank I use.

It does look like there is a bit of a buildup on the bottom of the container. idk if you can see it in this picture.

Do other people aerate their storage tanks? also should I clean out my storage container now?

20230130_114357[1].jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Schulks

Schulks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All salt mixes add a small amount of phosphate and nitrate. This small amount is usually negligible in the grand scheme.

If your product water isn't 0 on a TDS meter, it's time to change some filters.
I did not realize all salt mixes had some of those in them. Ty

My tds meter is still reading 0 coming out of the system. Could it still be time to change some filters?

OP
OP
Schulks

Schulks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think my problem is I just need to aerate mixed water between uses.

Back