Testing of Chemiclean

Eric Cohen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
USDA or FDA would be the ones who gives you any trouble, not the EPA. Just put a sheet in the box with the antibiotic name and amount, or post it on your website... ala how API says 200mg of erythro, among the many others.

For example, Tylosin at 100 mg per scoop or 4g per container, or whatever.

You have probably gotten lucky that Boyd has been such jerks about this for a few decades that most of the ire has been on them :)
Thanks for that and will do! Really appreciate it.

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same dose. Very helpful with freshly cut acropora and other fragged corals. Euphyllia coral benefit from it too. Check our other product “Reef Rx” :)
Thank you for your honesty. I have to ask why not disclose the antibiotic now right here in this thread?
I for one would love to know what it is as some of us have had great success treating corals with specific antibiotics (cipro) and while some may totally disagree with the use of antibiotics. I have personally seen great success with cipro when all else has failed.
Having said that I do feel like full disclosure should be made to the reef community so we have the opportunity to make informed decisions on what we are putting in our aquarium in regard to your product.

Eric Cohen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your honesty. I have to ask why not disclose the antibiotic now right here in this thread?
I for one would love to know what it is as some of us have had great success treating corals with specific antibiotics (cipro) and while some may totally disagree with the use of antibiotics. I have personally seen great success with cipro when all else has failed.
Having said that I do feel like full disclosure should be made to the reef community so we have the opportunity to make informed decisions on what we are putting in our aquarium in regard to your product.
I’m happy to. We use a pharmaceutical grade of Tylosin tartrate. We do not use Erythromycin.

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m happy to. We use a pharmaceutical grade of Tylosin tartrate. We do not use Erythromycin.
Thank you. Have you done any testing with Tylosin Tartate in regards to treating any type of bacterial infections in corals and do you have any data to share? If so I'd love to see a thread on that.

Eric Cohen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. Have you done any testing with Tylosin Tartate in regards to treating any type of bacterial infections in corals and do you have any data to share? If so I'd love to see a thread on that.
Good question and looking back at our research and development I wish we had done more test studies. Here’s what I can tell you:

This company was founded by myself and partners as part of my previous company Sea Dwelling Creatures. We were guided by our friend and veterinarian Dr Robert Hildreth who had a passion for aquariums beyond most hobbyists. He really helped us set up our experiments and did weekly testing with us.

Having access to so much livestock, we tested all our products on our in house tanks and I also used our customers (mainly coral farmers) to help test, and in regards to this product, we found that sps and lps corals greatly improved in health after cuttings compared to previously when we cut and didn’t use anything. This all is going back to the 90’s when we were learning so much about corals and how we can treat them…..I was lucky enough to be on the collection/handling side and the import side. Having spent over a decade in Fiji learning how to properly collect and handle these corals. Pretty cool situation….I could collect, hold and pack and ship to my own company that opened up the shipments and gave me back the results. I did that for 17 years. Freaking awesome part of my life.

As you can imagine, we tested pretty much everything we could think of. The Tylosine proved to be the most beneficial and with little to no side effects.

Over the last 20 years or so, I can say that we’ve had some failures and had to modify our “for best results” section….most importantly we learned that some tanks with low Alk, Kh, Ph etc can get a low drop after dosing. Especially if dosed at night. Other than a dozen or less problems over tens of thousands of packages sold, we feel confident that we can successfully rid Cyano bacteria as well as help with coral bacterial challenges. Freshwater aquariums benefit from Tylosin as well and we have expanded packaging to cover in this sector too.

We’ve come a long way in the hobby…..pretty cool we are still pushing and learning how to improve….I suppose that we will always be learning….appreciate the time and question!

Easy E

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dd

No...they are two totally different Antibiotics. We originally started with the same one, but with the suggestion of our Vet, we switched to a more selective spectrum antibiotic and is more effective against gram-negative bacteria or more specifically....enterobacteria. I think that's why our Cyano product has proven more effective in general.

How do you know the current (or past) composition of chemiclean?

Eric Cohen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you know the current (or past) composition of chemiclean?
It’s been close to 20 years so I don’t recall exactly, and the color of Chemiclean doesn’t give you a distinct clue but I have always told hobbyists to rotate between our product Red Cyano Rx and Chemiclean if repeated doses were necessary. What do you suspect all that yellow powder is in Chemiclean? That has always been a mystery. I also just did a google search on Chemiclean and multiple responses also say it’s eurithromyiacin. We originally used the same but quickly changed to Tylosin at the recommendation of our assisting vet. Fairly easy to determine our products as we don’t disguise them.

Last edited:

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It’s been close to 20 years so I don’t recall exactly, and the color of Chemiclean doesn’t give you a distinct clue but I have always told hobbyists to rotate between our product Red Cyano Rx and Chemiclean if repeated doses were necessary. What do you suspect all that yellow powder is in Chemiclean? That has always been a mystery. I also just did a google search on Chemiclean and multiple responses also say it’s eurithromyiacin. We originally used the same but quickly changed to Tylosin at the recommendation of our assisting vet. Fairly easy to determine our products as we don’t disguise them.
It's interesting - Its a close cousin of erythromycin - not used in human medicine. Like @Randy Holmes-Farley wondered - could Chemiclean be tilosin? (I.e. the same product as yours since the rumor is that they switched from erythromycin but there is some debate about that.... Clearly - it is an antibiotic of some kind (Chemiclean)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

OK, thank you.

jeffww

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Erythromycin is usually white is it not? Even its succinate and sulfate salts are white. Perhaps there is a splash of tetracycline in there? Or a mix of tylosin + erythromycin. Or maybe a dash of tumeric haha.

Eric Cohen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, thank you.
I was checking the sds sheets for Chemiclean and they list it as “trade secret”. So who really knows. My suspicion because of the color and volume, is that it’s mixed with something but I haven’t sent it to a chemist to verify. Hope you’ve been well!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My suspicion because of the color and volume, is that it’s mixed with something

That’s certainly typical for pharmaceuticals for a whole variety of reasons.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Erythromycin is usually white is it not? Even its succinate and sulfate salts are white. Perhaps there is a splash of tetracycline in there? Or a mix of tylosin + erythromycin. Or maybe a dash of tumeric haha.

Depends on purity. Aquarium grades might be human grade rejects. Lol

malfist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is Tylosin, I see it's wikipedia page says its effective against a "limited range of gram negative organisms". Any idea if nitrobacter is one of those effected?

Eric Cohen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is Tylosin, I see it's wikipedia page says its effective against a "limited range of gram negative organisms". Any idea if nitrobacter is one of those effected?
Does not effect you
If it is Tylosin, I see its wikipedia page says it’s effective against a "limited range of gram negative organisms". Any idea if nitrobacter is one of those effected?
Safe for in tank treatments, in short term use. That’s maybe why it’s recommended for 2-3 days and then do water change. Not sure if it would effect negatively with longer exposure.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 130 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back