Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hopefully he will answer.

jeffww

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An accessible way to test for home chemist is using 285nm UV hand lamp and a TLC plate vs a reference. I think it might dissolve in ethanol and run on the TLC plate. I could test bacterial resistance but I do not have an erythromycin resistance marker. I have a friend that could do LCMS but I think it seems pretty obvious that chemiclean is some type of antibiotic.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
An accessible way to test for home chemist is using 285nm UV hand lamp and a TLC plate vs a reference. I think it might dissolve in ethanol and run on the TLC plate. I could test bacterial resistance but I do not have an erythromycin resistance marker. I have a friend that could do LCMS but I think it seems pretty obvious that chemiclean is some type of antibiotic.
NO clue - but I wonder 'why'. Were it me, I would assume it's an antibiotic - since the target is a bacteria lol. This whole thing seems ridiculous.

chipchipbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just because im interested...

is Blue Life Red Cyano RX and Chemiclean basically the same stuff?

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I presume they are, yes. Similar language, dosing, and visible properties.

Eric Cohen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dd

No...they are two totally different Antibiotics. We originally started with the same one, but with the suggestion of our Vet, we switched to a more selective spectrum antibiotic and is more effective against gram-negative bacteria or more specifically....enterobacteria. I think that's why our Cyano product has proven more effective in general.

Eric Cohen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eric Cohen would not agree/produces the blue life...
@Eric Cohen is your mix the same as chemi clean
Thanks Brandon.....that's correct....they are different antibiotics that are very different. Under the advice of our Fish Vet, we changed the type of antibiotic used many years ago.

chipchipbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dd

No...they are two totally different Antibiotics. We originally started with the same one, but with the suggestion of our Vet, we switched to a more selective spectrum antibiotic and is more effective against gram-negative bacteria or more specifically....enterobacteria. I think that's why our Cyano product has proven more effective in general.
thanks for your reply!
So just for my understanding... if there would be a bacterial infection in a tank and i use red cyano rx even if I dont have cyano - would that help eradicating the bacterial infection?

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s amazing to hear they are both antibiotics thanks for chiming in

Eric Cohen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for your reply!
So just for my understanding... if there would be a bacterial infection in a tank and i use red cyano rx even if I dont have cyano - would that help eradicating the bacterial infection?
Yes. Especially effective on coral……:)

Eric Cohen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
could someone do like only a tiny dosage and it would help aswell or do I need to go the full dosis :D
Same dose. Very helpful with freshly cut acropora and other fragged corals. Euphyllia coral benefit from it too. Check our other product “Reef Rx” :)

OP
OP
jda

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think that it is smart to admit that you sell antibiotics over the counter without labeling them consistent with the contents? While the FDA nor USDA do not currently require a prescription to sell for ornamental fish (aquatic life not for food), the do require that you label the type, amount and give approved directions for use to follow. Mostly... there are some antibiotics that are illegal to sell without a Rx for any purpose, but these are more specialized.

I am sure that it will be less than 3-5 posts before somebody claims that you don't have to label this stuff... but know that I heard this from the horses mouth while discussing another case. This is why you see the big companies like API, Fritz, etc. let you know what is in their products.

With the uptick in people circumventing doctors and prescriptions by self medicating with fish antibiotics, discussion is happening to potentially close this loophole of not having an Rx for ornamental fish. Apparently, the only thing allowing hesitation is the quality of the fish meds which are composition-wise identical to human meds, at the moment.

Do yourself a favor and label it correctly. People will still buy it since it is not easy to get in small quantities, honesty will push people to your brand over others and if a storm comes with fines or punishment from the USDA, then they can move to other people. UWC was cautioned to label their product correctly for years - please don't be dumb like they were.

Eric Cohen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think that it is smart to admit that you sell antibiotics over the counter without labeling them consistent with the contents? While the FDA nor USDA do not currently require a prescription to sell for ornamental fish (aquatic life not for food), the do require that you label the type, amount and give approved directions for use to follow. Mostly... there are some antibiotics that are illegal to sell without a Rx for any purpose, but these are more specialized.

I am sure that it will be less than 3-5 posts before somebody claims that you don't have to label this stuff... but know that I heard this from the horses mouth while discussing another case. This is why you see the big companies like API, Fritz, etc. let you know what is in their products.

With the uptick in people circumventing doctors and prescriptions by self medicating with fish antibiotics, discussion is happening to potentially close this loophole of not having an Rx for ornamental fish. Apparently, the only thing allowing hesitation is the quality of the fish meds which are composition-wise identical to human meds, at the moment.

Do yourself a favor and label it correctly. People will still buy it since it is not easy to get in small quantities, honesty will push people to your brand over others and if a storm comes with fines or punishment from the USDA, then they can move to other people. UWC was cautioned to label their product correctly for years - please don't be dumb like they were.
You could be very right. We have worked with the EPA on labeling issues and did so at the very beginning of development. Have paid a few thousand $$ in legal fees too in order to repackage, import and distribute these antibiotics. So far over the past 20 years or so, we’ve made it thru. I supply sds and msds sheets to distributors when requested. Im happy to disclose the product. Nobody has asked. :)

OP
OP
jda

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
USDA or FDA would be the ones who gives you any trouble, not the EPA. Just put a sheet in the box with the antibiotic name and amount, or post it on your website... ala how API says 200mg of erythro, among the many others.

For example, Tylosin at 100 mg per scoop or 4g per container, or whatever.

You have probably gotten lucky that Boyd has been such jerks about this for a few decades that most of the ire has been on them :)

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 22.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 20.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back