testing priority

caro325

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was hoping someone could help me figure out the order of import6ance for testing for the tank????? I want to buy the hanna tester, but I can afford all of them at once, so I needed to figure the best purchase order...... I have biocube AIO 29G with a couple of clown fish, a cardinal, some snails, a sea urchin, 2 anemones and a few corals. TIA

lil sumpin

Digital Sponge
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I check salinity, ph and temp almost regularly using the Hanna testers and a reg deg thermometer. I check alkalinity 2-3 times a week, sometimes 1-2 times. Calcium, nitrate and phosphate get checked once every other week before and after water changes.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you test for right now most frequently? Get that one.

The first one I ever got was the hanna salinity tester.

OP
OP
C

caro325

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you test for right now most frequently? Get that one.

The first one I ever got was the hanna salinity tester.
the problem is that I am not testing often enough... I have the epi test kits, but they are sooooooooo tedius and take so long!!! I was looking into an automatic tester (apex), but it is just way too much money....I also looked into the hanna Marine Master Waterproof Wireless Multiparameter Photometer but again it is also a lot of money...... I am just trying to keep my 2 anemones alive, so finding the fastest most effective and affordable way to do the tests...

buruskeee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salinity, Temp, Alk are the top 3, then Phosphate and Nitrates would be ideal if you can test weekly. Typically if you’re using water changes regularly and have a quality salt, then the Mag and Cal will be good as long as your Alk is good (assuming it’s a nano tank), so you don’t have to test that very often (maybe once a month).

twentyleagues

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have two nems anything else? With just those you really dont need to worry about much especially if you do regular water changes. Salinity, temp, ph are your biggest concerns, maybe nitrate and phosphate. If you have or plan on having hard corals lps or sps, alk, cal, nitrate and phosphate. I too say skip the hannah cal checker and use salifert or redsea pro. I currently test alk 3 times a week hannah, cal and mag once every 2 weeks redsea pro kit, nitrate weekly api, phosphate weekly hannah.

OP
OP
C

caro325

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have two nems anything else? With just those you really dont need to worry about much especially if you do regular water changes. Salinity, temp, ph are your biggest concerns, maybe nitrate and phosphate. If you have or plan on having hard corals lps or sps, alk, cal, nitrate and phosphate. I too say skip the hannah cal checker and use salifert or redsea pro. I currently test alk 3 times a week hannah, cal and mag once every 2 weeks redsea pro kit, nitrate weekly api, phosphate weekly hannah.
I have 2 neems, 2 clowns, 1 cardinal, and some coral

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 111 43.0%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 123 47.7%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 24 9.3%
Back