Testing question..

Bryan47

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will preface this with the fact that I use API test kits, if you have other recommendations let me know, I'd love to get the Hannah checkers or something digital and less prone to human error.
So I am doing my weekly full test of every parameter and my nitrates were rather high so I knew a water change was in order so I pulled up an online calculator for lowering nitrates. The first required input is nitrate level of tap water. I never considered my tap water would have nitrates so I tested it. It read 20 ppm. I think the EPA allows 10ppm maximum. I of course use prime so I would imagine that takes it down gradually.

My question is about when I read the test. I have always held it to the white background however this drastically darkens the color. Without a background it's between 5-10ppm. So do you hold it to a white background or no? I have posted pictures below of the effect I'm sure many of you are aware of.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416480303.092112.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416480314.292206.jpg

saltyphish

Certified Sand Groomer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hold it to the white background as the directions state. When in doubt follow Manufacturers directions. Also even the Hannah checkers are prone to human error. I only recommend the phosphate, and alk tester from them. I don't care for the api nitrates test kit myself. I found them to be inaccurate for me. I use a salifert nitrate test kit.

OP
OP
Bryan47

Bryan47

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks I'll give that a shot!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back