Testing Reef Lights: What would you like to see?

Ryanbrs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What did you guys decide to look into?
I am still putting this together but I think we are going to start by doing PAR measurements under water, at multiple depths and heights in common arrangements like a single light on a 24 cube as well as a 120 with multiple lights. To start all this it pretty critical we know the PAR intensity and distribution of the available light sources at various depths. Followed by spectrum availability, spectrum blending, visual elements, programming and anything else relevant. Now is the time to ask if there are other things you would like to see : )

Once the community has a working set of comparable data on historical and current light sources I think we can work with the community to develop longer term growth and coloration tests based on that data. It's a fairly long path but I think it is going to be a fun exploration of the hobby : )

James72

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi BRS,

Love your program n videos. For lighting I would like to know if Actinic T5 tubes are useful or useless for corals?

Csr1978

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your videos have been extremely helpful to me. I am just setting up my first reef tank and I have not selected my lighting yet. I am looking forward to this investigation so I can purchase the best light fixture for my setup and budget. When will some results be available?

dullyxxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We're kicking off a new segment in BRStv Investigates and we're out to change EVERYTHING we know about reef tank lighting! With that in mind, we want to know; what you would like to see us test and/or challenge in regards to reef lighting?

everything you can on Giesemann AURORA HYBRID LED / T-5
& Giesemann SPECTRA HQ / T-5

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LED shading fixture vs fixture. I think you could do this with putting say a 1" disk over the top of the sensor maybe 3" up. But you can play around with the actual size of the disk and height. What you are testing is how much the light can reach that sensor over the test area. 1st look at PAR as you normally do, then put that disk over the senor and repeat looking at % loss. Then look at other fixtures and you should be able to see shading.

For example, lets say you have two light fixtures, a single point source and one that LEDs are spread out. These two might produce very similar PAR values in a empty tank, but if testing the single point fixture directly under the LED cluster that shading disk will block almost all the light and you would get very little PAR, but a fixture that has diodes across 24" or so you will see much higher PAR in the center of the tank as the light is coming from the edges. This should indicate the 24" light will have less shading issues. Do it with T5 of various sizes and metal halides too. Then have a benchmark for fixtures like coralcare and G4 which looks to improve shading issues - have some real numbers to look at.

WhiskyTango

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put a pair of Kessil A80's on a IM Fusion 40 or Lagoon 50. I'd really like to see the par and coverage these little pucks can produce on a tank that size. Thank You

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We're kicking off a new segment in BRStv Investigates and we're out to change EVERYTHING we know about reef tank lighting! With that in mind, we want to know; what you would like to see us test and/or challenge in regards to reef lighting?

PUR ratings for LED. PAR is so misleading with LED and doesn't tell you the whole story.

Csr1978

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ReefBright XHO. Particularly with a 5 x 24" combo of 3 XHO Blue & 2 XHO White.

WhiskyTango

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you guys think about this? I hoping that small fuge compartment fills out with chaeto. Grow at 100%

IMG_0857.JPG

Reef man 89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you guys think about this? I hoping that small fuge compartment fills out with chaeto. Grow at 100%

IMG_0857.JPG
What tank is that? Also do you have problems with the light having spill over to the next chamber and going algea on the glass? Seeing that the light is design to grow algea.

Monkeynaut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Along with ideal PAR to PUR ratings I want to know. Is a high Par with mostly blue as dangerous as high par with more white?
Set one light up at 600 PAR and super white light and one at 600 with white toned down and much more blue. Then see if a coral tolerates one better than the other.

pdiehm

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would like to see the difference in spread and PAR of say 4x54 and 6x54 using common bulb combinations like B+, B+, C+, Actinic and 4 B+, C+ and actinic.

Do this over 48", 60" tanks at a depth of 24" and a normal height of 9" over water

Reef man 89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IM Fusion 40, the Kessil H80 arrived from BRS yesterday.
I am running the same tank and thought about doing the same thing but with the spill over was not sure how much algea would be growing on the glass in the 2 chamber

pdiehm

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Definitely would like to see a test involving the Reefbreeders lights. For me, personally, I have had a horrible time dialing in the 48" version.

Looking forward to this!

dullyxxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
led lights with the disco light effect and those that don't (radion G4, AI Hydra 26 HD etc)

Medic755

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like to see a comparison between the high end LEDs and the black boxes, especially the ones that claim to hit the right spectrum.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 11 84.6%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back