Testing Reef Lights: What would you like to see?

Bulk Reef Supply

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We're kicking off a new segment in BRStv Investigates and we're out to change EVERYTHING we know about reef tank lighting! With that in mind, we want to know; what you would like to see us test and/or challenge in regards to reef lighting?

Last edited by a moderator:

BigJim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love to see a scientific test on blue vs. white lighting and its impact on growth and color of SPS. Does whiter light really grow SPS faster and does blue light really improve the color of SPS? My own experience makes me believe there is some truth to this claim, but I would love to see it tested in a controlled environment.

Last edited:

apex003

Aquaculturist in training
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love to see you run a standard set of tests (lighting, chemistry, etc) on extraordinary vendor and individual reefer setups so we can get a better apples to apples comparison of the systems and better understand the interplay of light with other parameters that make for amazing results.

gcarroll

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to see in water tests of the Giesemann Spectra in comparison to the premium LED (Radion, Kessil, Giesemann) and T5 lighting (ATI, Giesemann). I understand that MH is dying, but it is still viable for large tank owners.

Last edited:

cnmcalpi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Full spectrum vs "spiked" led spectrum's effect on coral growth. Spectrum's effect on macroalgae growth vs micro algae growth. Is a spike in Chlorophyll A & B useful? Ive noticed that I have a hard time growing macro without micro algaes taking over.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I hope the R2R community appreciates the fact that BRS is reaching out to us to for input! We appreciate it and hope to help put together some great ideas for the lighting video!

Pete_the_Puma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm most curious about the interactions of various lightsources. I have 2 Radions on my tank and have to be honest I have struggled with deciding if I have a good amount of light, or whether I need more or less intensity. For example do 2 light fixtures that each produce say 200 PAR at x depth now produce 400 PAR at the same x depth where they intersect?

I just recently decided to get a PAR meter to stop the guessing game... It is in transit from BRS as we speak.

karm40

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Overall, I agree that photosynthesis is the key but, I would like to see the cost of unit vs. energy usage vs. photosynthesis. If there was a way to come up with a numerical factor to show a rating for all the factors so you could gauge with one number.

DBR_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to see average yearly cost of ownership, including bulb or LED replacement and total power consumption over the entire photo period of the different light sources- it would be very easy to add in the data, and it may not show anything unexpected, but I'm curious about real world savings with LEDs vs T5. And who knows, maybe my halides with electronic ballasts aren't as bad as I fear :)

Broadwave

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me, I'd like to see which light set up has the best spread and spectrum that can cover the vast majority of corals and provide great growth for long term success but at the same time, have the least maintenance / cost of ownership based on the size of aquarium. Sure for smaller set ups, LED is ideal... but initial cost on larger aquariums can be a bit costly.

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Side by side comparison of metal halide and led. Use similar spectrum halide bulbs to really get good data going. Tracking differences in growth, coloration and par numbers over time would be great.

Also if possible keep track of the difference in electricity consumption between the 2.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back