Testing Reef Lights: What would you like to see?

BRStv Investigates is teaming up with Reef2Reef members to get your feedback on what you would like to see in regards to reef tank lighting! With...
Tags:
  1. Bulk Reef Supply

Bulk Reef Supply Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Gold Sponsor

We're kicking off a new segment in BRStv Investigates and we're out to change EVERYTHING we know about reef tank lighting! With that in mind, we want to know; what you would like to see us test and/or challenge in regards to reef lighting?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2017
    Tags:

2. coreysreef123

coreysreef123 Member

SPS growth under Kessils!

3. BigJim

BigJim Well-Known Member Partner Member 2018 Build Thread Contributor

I would love to see a scientific test on blue vs. white lighting and its impact on growth and color of SPS. Does whiter light really grow SPS faster and does blue light really improve the color of SPS? My own experience makes me believe there is some truth to this claim, but I would love to see it tested in a controlled environment.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2017
  4. coreysreef123

coreysreef123 Member

Another thing I would be interested in learning more about is LED vs. LED/T5 combo

5. Rex

Rex Valuable Member

SPS growth under T5 only vs SPS growth under a T5 / LED hybrid.

6. glagunda

glagunda Active Member

cheap led lights vs high end led

7. apex003

apex003 Aquaculturist in training Build Thread Contributor

I would love to see you run a standard set of tests (lighting, chemistry, etc) on extraordinary vendor and individual reefer setups so we can get a better apples to apples comparison of the systems and better understand the interplay of light with other parameters that make for amazing results.

8. gcarroll

gcarroll Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

I would like to see in water tests of the Giesemann Spectra in comparison to the premium LED (Radion, Kessil, Giesemann) and T5 lighting (ATI, Giesemann). I understand that MH is dying, but it is still viable for large tank owners.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2017
  9. cnmcalpi

cnmcalpi Member

Full spectrum vs "spiked" led spectrum's effect on coral growth. Spectrum's effect on macroalgae growth vs micro algae growth. Is a spike in Chlorophyll A & B useful? Ive noticed that I have a hard time growing macro without micro algaes taking over.

10. revhtree

revhtree Owner Administrator Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter Photo of the Month Award R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2018 Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor

I hope the R2R community appreciates the fact that BRS is reaching out to us to for input! We appreciate it and hope to help put together some great ideas for the lighting video!

11. Pete_the_Puma

Pete_the_Puma Member

I'm most curious about the interactions of various lightsources. I have 2 Radions on my tank and have to be honest I have struggled with deciding if I have a good amount of light, or whether I need more or less intensity. For example do 2 light fixtures that each produce say 200 PAR at x depth now produce 400 PAR at the same x depth where they intersect?

I just recently decided to get a PAR meter to stop the guessing game... It is in transit from BRS as we speak.

Ryanbrs and Bulk Reef Supply like this.
  12. karm40

karm40 Member

Overall, I agree that photosynthesis is the key but, I would like to see the cost of unit vs. energy usage vs. photosynthesis. If there was a way to come up with a numerical factor to show a rating for all the factors so you could gauge with one number.

13. happyhourhero

happyhourhero Valuable Member Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor

I want to see if the LED lights that claim to hit certain wavelengths and chlorophyll peaks actually do.

McMullen, LSDcoral, Ryanbrs and 3 others like this.
  14. DBR_Reef

DBR_Reef Active Member Article Contributor

I would like to see average yearly cost of ownership, including bulb or LED replacement and total power consumption over the entire photo period of the different light sources- it would be very easy to add in the data, and it may not show anything unexpected, but I'm curious about real world savings with LEDs vs T5. And who knows, maybe my halides with electronic ballasts aren't as bad as I fear :)

panoum, Ryanbrs, JLynn and 1 other person like this.
  15. Saltwater_luis

Saltwater_luis New Member

I would love to see a test done on the Arcadia T5 HO LED Replacement bulbs, I just want to see if they are capable of growing corals the same as t5, heat out put vs t5, par output vs t5

16. kschweer

kschweer Zoas!!! Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter Reef Squad Leader R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2018 NJRC Member

Maybe something with different popular bulb combos. The "look" and par of each could be compared.

austinl, Ryanbrs, jsker and 1 other person like this.
  17. Jason mack

Jason mack Monti madness R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor

+1 for cheap LEd v expensive LED

kevlow, SalinFL, Gbrum and 12 others like this.
  18. Useful_Idiot

Useful_Idiot Artificially Intelligent R2R Supporter CTARS Member

I'd like to know if the spectrum shifts on leds after years of use. Or if the par drops.

Don Lidtke, panoum, McMullen and 9 others like this.
  19. Broadwave

Broadwave Active Member

For me, I'd like to see which light set up has the best spread and spectrum that can cover the vast majority of corals and provide great growth for long term success but at the same time, have the least maintenance / cost of ownership based on the size of aquarium. Sure for smaller set ups, LED is ideal... but initial cost on larger aquariums can be a bit costly.

20. hybridazn

hybridazn Acro killer..... Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter 3RMAS Member Photo of the Month Award R2R Excellence Award Showcase Editor Partner Member 2018 Build Thread Contributor

Side by side comparison of metal halide and led. Use similar spectrum halide bulbs to really get good data going. Tracking differences in growth, coloration and par numbers over time would be great.

Also if possible keep track of the difference in electricity consumption between the 2.

Draft saved Draft deleted