Testing Reef Lights: What would you like to see?

DBR_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on the Chinese black box test- I know you don't sell them, but if the expensive lights really can't beat them for growth, I think your customers would appreciate you informing them. It is that kind of honesty in your business that won me as a customer.

SharkLaser

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alkalinity level has been all but accepted as a major factor in SPS growth. It seems to drive the light intensity decisions as well. While I thoroughly enjoyed Dana's presentation on photosynthesis, I think that his evaluation of the rate of photosynthesis on porites coral in a tide pool does not exactly apply to what some of us try to grow in high end SPS tanks in terms of growth rate, coloration and the flow rate. I think the most colorful SPS corals are not in the ocean. So what I would like to see is:
- rate of photosynthesis of several representative groups of SPS corals at PAR higher than 300 measured in actual reef tanks under different types/brands of lights
- measured effect of alkalinity at higher light intensity, especially with regards to burned tips AND under various nutrient levels (ULNS, higher NO3, higher PO4)

PlanB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Test popular lighting fixtures to see if they match the outputs their manufactures claim. i.e. Hydra 52 HDs - what is the PAR for each puck at different heights, and what is the spread. Manufacturers are horrible at breaking down the specifics, instead just generalizing, for example, a light with 4 pucks lengthwise has even PAR readings/coverage in a square spread? Shouldn't the spread be a rectangular?

How do corals respond to identical PAR levels under different lighting? Are there major differences with growth/color?

rc1626

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for offering this to the R2R reefing community.
I know not a product you carry but testing on the new GHL Mitras. (Spread, intensity, spectrum, etc). And how it may compare to other top end LED only fixtures.
This is one reason why again in my opinion BRS is one of the best vendors out there.

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When using a popular consumer meter like the Apogee MQ500/510, I want to know if PAR is equal between LED and MH/T5.
In other words... if my coral like 300 PAR under MH, should I aim for 300 PAR under LED?

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do I want to see in a lighting test from you guys?

I want a straight lighting throw down! Put them all to the test! From ATI powermodules down to the most economical offering you have and everything in between!

Denisk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love to see a scientific test on blue vs. white lighting and its impact on growth and color of SPS. Does whiter light really grow SPS faster and does blue light really improve the color of SPS? My own experience makes me believe there is some truth to this claim, but I would love to see it tested in a controlled environment.

This would be a good one!!!

RobertP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Upgrading to an LED soon and look forward to this. Mounting options are important for those of us that dont want to drill holes in the ceiling...and have a wife that says it must not be an ugly mount! :)
Would love to see which ones can be controlled by Apex and what additional components/wiring are needed for that to happen.

In addition to the cheapo chinese light how about RapidLED Corona added.

BantyRooster97

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a simple test between T5 and LED (several fixtures of each if possible). I keep reading people that swear LEDs can't grow coral, then I read a thread where people have success. Or I go to a LFS and all they have is LED.

JustinW

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We're kicking off a new segment in BRStv Investigates and we're out to change EVERYTHING we know about reef tank lighting! With that in mind, we want to know; what you would like to see us test and/or challenge in regards to reef lighting?

I currently have the radion g3 with the tir lenses. And I'm curious to see how much of an effect glass over the tank and the light is about 7inches from the water.

Famsquad26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to see some cheap white and blue leds and if they can grow some more simple corals like polyps and mushrooms.
Many people who are trying this hobby want to know the cheapest leds they can get for some decent growth on simple corals, not more expensive lighting for sps corals.

Thank you, BRSTV

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LEDS and shadowing. I have 2 Radion G4 units over a 4 foot tank and as my small sps colonies grow I see that areas are being shadowed. Does adding more units or turning them sideways affect shadowing?

Good call, I nearly went for 3 XR 15s over 3 foot 3 inch display, I was going to angle them in a touch, 2 at the back, middle one at the front, went hybrid instead! ;)

ReefingwithO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Good call, I nearly went for 3 XR 15s over 3 foot 3 inch display, I was going to angle them in a touch, 2 at the back, middle one at the front, went hybrid instead! ;)

I wish I had a canopy and could go hybrid but I can't. It's a rimless tank, and I can't hang a fixture from the ceiling.

Ryanbrs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SPS growth under Kessils!

I think we would all love that degree and testing and I hope at
I would like to see in water tests of the Giesemann Spectra in comparison to the premium LED (Radion, Kessil, Giesemann) and T5 lighting (ATI, Giesemann). I understand that MH is dying, but it is still viable for large tank owners.

Sometimes I think if people were able to see halide tanks in person before making a lighting decision they might be more popular. We have a tank here running the ReefBrite halide/led hybrid with a 250w Radium and it is pretty awesome.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 111 58.1%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 56 29.3%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 68 35.6%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 32 16.8%
  • Other

Votes: 58 30.4%
Back