Testing Reef Lights: What would you like to see?

Ryanbrs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm most curious about the interactions of various lightsources. I have 2 Radions on my tank and have to be honest I have struggled with deciding if I have a good amount of light, or whether I need more or less intensity. For example do 2 light fixtures that each produce say 200 PAR at x depth now produce 400 PAR at the same x depth where they intersect?

I just recently decided to get a PAR meter to stop the guessing game... It is in transit from BRS as we speak.

This is going to be a big focus. I think all of us want to know how multiple light sources interact with each other. I think the results will be pretty surprising and valuable for setting up or adjusting our lighting.

Ryanbrs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like to know if the spectrum shifts on leds after years of use. Or if the par drops.
We are about to plug some T5's in for a year to find out a similar question. Hopefully, we can simulate 3 years of use by running them 24/7 with a few short off cycles a day.

DBR_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are about to plug some T5's in for a year to find out a similar question. Hopefully, we can simulate 3 years of use by running them 24/7 with a few short off cycles a day.
Bit of a long shot, but it might be possible to find a new old stock LED and compare it to one taken of a tank that has run for 5-10 years. I think actual lifespan and spectrum shift is something we have all wondered about with LEDs.

spiraling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to know if the extra features on led lights are beneficial to corals or just a gimmick. Lightening storms, cloud cover settings, and does the disco ball effect (really ecotech??) make the hammers look like they are dancing?

nervousmonkey

LPS Lover, SPS Enabler
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pros and cons of plasma.
Are E5's really worth it?

Secondly I would like to see halides with LEDs tested; partly to understand the recent movement back to MH and T5 as well as combining old technology MH/T5's with new technology LED and E5 tubes and the fixtures they are used with to find out if there is technical data to back up anecdotal evidence of better growth under metal halides and T5's versus better coloration under LED system

dragon99

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1) I'd love to see the PAR map and spectrum curve for every light you sell or have tested. Maybe in some type of comparison tool (ie AI's light sciences)
2) Testing with multiple lights (ie 2 Primes/A360W's/XR15) vs larger arrays (26HD/ AP700/XR30), does 1+1=2?

chefjpaul

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Test popular lighting fixtures to see if they match the outputs their manufactures claim. i.e. Hydra 52 HDs - what is the PAR for each puck at different heights, and what is the spread. Manufacturers are horrible at breaking down the specifics, instead just generalizing, for example, a light with 4 pucks lengthwise has even PAR readings/coverage in a square spread? Shouldn't the spread be a rectangular?

How do corals respond to identical PAR levels under different lighting? Are there major differences with growth/color?
This[emoji651]....also a true reading over water with movement.

bubblemytip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Testing the Sicce GNC LEDs and their approach to LED lighting - focus on spread using many smaller wattage LEDs to generate PAR and passive cooling. Or the Triton LANI.

What is the lifespan of the LEDs in Hydra, radion etc if they are overpowered - how does their spectrum shift over time? How does that affect the economy of using LEDs?

some impressive SPS tanks in Italy use the Sicce lights with great success.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would also like to see you guys take an ATI Sunpower and put it against the Gmann Matrix. Get the same length and bulb count i.e. 6x54 watt in both. Burn in 6 Aquablue Special bulbs for 100 hours and then test PAR after both fixtures have been on for 2 hours. Set the ATI fans to their proper speed (probably 9v but maybe 7.5v) so the bulbs cold spot is roughly 35°C. You'll just have to let the Geisemann try to cool passively.

Then show us the readings...

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All these ideas are great! I can't think of anything to add to them and can't wait to see the results of yall's tests.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are LEDs compatible to metal halide bulbs for growth and colour on sps ?
I have two iwasaki 250w metal halide bulbs and 3 VHO actinic fluorescent bulbs over a 120 gal tank. Want to change over to LED do to high electrical cost and heat from chiller.

Neptune1707

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whatever the results, it would be nice if PAR could be a new parameter that would be recommended in coral "info" on sites like Liveaquaria.com....we get info on temp, salinity, etc that corals needs to thrive, but what's lacking is more specific info on what PAR readings this coral will do best at. Simply saying this coral will do good in "bottom, middle, or top" is not good enough in my opinion. This spec info should be a standard benchmark for all companies selling corals online or at you LFS.

bubblemytip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would also be good to compare the spectrum requirements of different corals and how the different pigments react to different spectra. Does a PAR reading at one spectrum mean the same at a different spectrum? Can you use less PAR if the spectrum is totally dialled in?

chefjpaul

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whatever the results, it would be nice if PAR could be a new parameter that would be recommended in coral "info" on sites like Liveaquaria.com....we get info on temp, salinity, etc that corals needs to thrive, but what's lacking is more specific info on what PAR readings this coral will do best at. Simply saying this coral will do good in "bottom, middle, or top" is not good enough in my opinion. This spec info should be a standard benchmark for all companies selling corals online or at you LFS.
Definitely great idea, as more controller companies make par meters for their devices, this will definitely become standard.

Monkeynaut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We're kicking off a new segment in BRStv Investigates and we're out to change EVERYTHING we know about reef tank lighting! With that in mind, we want to know; what you would like to see us test and/or challenge in regards to reef lighting?

I would like to know the best PAR values for a 70% PUR for specific coral types (I chose 70% b/c I think that is one of the better colors for the respective PAR). For instance what is the best PAR for Acan lords or other specific coral types.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 79 38.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 31 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back