Testing Reef Lights: What would you like to see?

Nicolas_Brown

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like to see longevity of mh bulbs vs manufactur recommened replacement intervals iv ran bulbs 3 years to no loss in par or spectrum shift. Modern ballasts have changed over the years

Monkeynaut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to know the best PAR values for a 70% PUR for specific coral types (I chose 70% b/c I think that is one of the better colors for the respective PAR). For instance what is the best PAR for Acan lords or other specific coral types.
Or... The test for PAR for specific corals but with the BRS recommended PUR value.

What I mean is to first find the PUR that is output from the ideal Metal Halide/T5 bulb combination that is generally accepted to produce results and then tell us what the best PAR is for individual Coral types under that PUR setup. Then we could set up our LED's for that PUR and place corals in the ideal PAR.

BlennyKravitz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
one huge sump plumbed into several equal-sized nano tanks with the same bioload, flow patterns and varying frags of the same starting size - mixed reef of zoanthids, acans, acropora and montipora. Each tank gets a different light system... I think most of us want to see the difference between Kessil, Radion, Chinese LED, T5, MH and MH/T5.... I would also do a comparison of the same LED fixture (Kessil or Radion) and run one blue and one white. Then do a time lapse video over a few months.....

Excited to see the results of this one!

tjnorthdakota

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know you dont sell them but I'd really like to see pacific sun hybrids and t5's tested, maybe add them to your lineup, the hybrids led/t5's come at a much better pricepoint than the ati's or geisemann's. Another option in t5 tubes too.

SlvrZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DIY Radion/T5 vs boxed led/t5 setup. does it perform just as good? better? worse?

dave57

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems like there is such a broad discussion about par, intensities, spectrums and how they all correlate with growth and color on corals. I would like to know the specifics of these topics on how we can best tweak our lights to provide the best possible growth and color for our corals. For example what intensity should we provide our corals for best color and growth. Another example what spectrum best stimulates corals to grow and color up? Or more specifically does lower par 150-250 range provide increased growth rates in our corals?

Nolan Shinn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like to see some user interface tests on the various LED systems. Maybe some ease of setup vs customisability vs fit and finish of the UX/UI.

Other than that, anything other than just anecdotal evidence about the different lights. There are a million different LED options and twice as many stories from people who swear by X Brand because they "... got fantastic results with them..." or they hate Y Brand because "I had a bulb burn out after a week". A side by side comparison would be awesome.

FlamingGrapes

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to see some data showing the practical life span of LEDs. Do they really hold their proclaimed PAR and spectrum as long as they claim? This contributes to the long term ownership costs.

James Jordan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything I want to see has already been mentioned but I wanted to post just to say thanks. A company reaching out to ask how they can better serve people in the hobby just to make a youtube episode/series is really kind. I know you'll make money in the long run with the products you demo (and you should) but it takes a real passion for customers to continue to produce the stuff you put out.

The BRS 160 videos have been the single largest source of information for me as I started my journey. I am really thankful for you guys. It hasn't yet translated into a sale, but it will one day.

rick6034

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The AI Prime HD, best color settings for sps corals, best ramp times, & time on.

Lousybreed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off I would like to say thank you to BRS for wanting to do this. I know you are going to have to balance the interests of the brands you sell and your findings but here would be my suggestion. I think there are two topics that I would be interested in. One is a comparison of lighting for chaeto growth. I would ask that you do include HPS lighting for this. My other request has been asked already. People are moving back to MH and T5 lighting because of results. I personally went back to MH and I am planning on supplementing with DIY leds. But I don't know the best ratio of spectrums for my LED supplementation. Is it even advantageous? Does it wash out the colors of the MH? I think more data on pure LED systems vs hybrids is needed. I feel LED is popular partly because it's sexy (packaging, programming, energy consumption, ect), convenient, and cutting edge. But is it really the best option?

DinoS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a current led but it is only blue and white lights how can I choose the best upgrade for the most affordable price $600 - $1000 for a good light seems to be out a range for me

jacoviii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love to see a scientific test on blue vs. white lighting and its impact on growth and color of SPS. Does whiter light really grow SPS faster and does blue light really improve the color of SPS? My own experience makes me believe there is some truth to this claim, but I would love to see it tested in a controlled environment.

Yes is is a big one for me

sundog101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like to see how spread out fixtures (reefbreeders or orphek) compare against more condensed fixtures (kessils or radions). Is the par output more even? Are there less hotspots? Color blending? Consistent or uneven spectrum?

Helfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it true, that lower PAR enhances photosynthesis and growth? Dana Riddle has talked about this and would be fantastic if you could back up his study on this.

Maybe study how different wavelenghts of light affects coral growth and coloration?

Also please test the new GHL Mitras LX7206!

It is fantastic how you guys are working to advance this hobby (besides being a vendor). I would totally support you by buying from you, if that would be possible from Finland [emoji6]

Fishlee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Id like to see par values for varying intensity ratings for example radions at 30%, 50% or 60% to get a better ideal of actual use par
also testing the different preset options from the radions like coral radiance, sps ab+, sps phx14 and Lps/ soft

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 129 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back