Testing saltwater

Tony Tanks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone had this problem . I have three INSTANT OCEAN specific gravity meters and one MILWAUKEE REFRACTOMETER .One INSTANT OCEAN is old and the other two are new . Testing the same water , the readings are as follows -- Old INSTANT OCEAN reads 1.022 . New INSTANT OCEAN , One reads 1.027 and the other goes straight to the top . No reading . The MILWAUKEE reads 1.024. Cannot get the same specific gravity reading. Any suggestions .

mjw011689

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Throw the IO sg meters away. They’re never going to be accurate. Ballpark? Maybe, but your results are showing not even that. If the Milwaukee is calibrated I would 100% trust that without a doubt over the hydrometers.

The fact that hydrometers are still sold in stores when you can get a perfectly accurate refractometer from Amazon for $18 is kinda embarrassing at this point.

Tuan’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I remember using the IO hydrometer 30 years ago lol. They aren't that bad and work fine in a pinch. Just make sure there's no bubbles or the readings will be off.

mjw011689

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember using the IO hydrometer 30 years ago lol. They aren't that bad and work fine in a pinch. Just make sure there's no bubbles or the readings will be off.
Same, but at this point there’s no need to. They’re so affected by the most minor buildup on the pivot. Was it cleaned of saltwater properly the time before? Do you have super hard water in your area that even rinsing it leaves a buildup? Even if all the bubbles are taken off, so much can affect those things.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back