Testing suite

zdrc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've made a list of testing equipment to buy before starting my first (nano) tank. What do you think? Is this a good list? Am I missing anything or should I get a different version of any of these tests?

Salinity: refractometer (e.g. this) plus calibration solution
Alkalinity: Hanna
Temp: $6 amazon digital thermometer (do I need this if I'm planning on getting an inkbird heater controller?)
Nitrate: Nyos
Phosphate: Nyos
Calcium: Salifert
Magnesium: Salifert

I have API ammonia and nitrite tests already. I know they're not great but I'm used to using them and I won't be testing for either of these very often.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good. I use the red sea pro alk test as its quicker but that is my personal preference. I would rather get a hanna test for phosphate over the alk .

I would also get the cheap thermometer with the inkbird. I do so to make sure my inkbird is still reading correctly

Klyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Id recommend the salifert for alk... the Hannah alk Checker is nice but a lot a variance between bottles of reagent. Once u get used to using the salifert alk it's quicker than the Hannah and imo more reliable. And I've grown to hate refractometers...a lot of calibration fluid. I switched to the Tropic Marin glass hydrometer and haven't looked back. That thing is awesome. And I know a lot of people prefer red sea calcium over salifert, myself included. Aquaforest makes a good magnesium kit.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PS BRS did some great videos comparing the different test kits. I'd check them out if I were you.

Klyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Id recommend the salifert for alk... the Hannah alk Checker is nice but a lot a variance between bottles of reagent. Once u get used to using the salifert alk it's quicker than the Hannah and imo more reliable. And I've grown to hate refractometers...a lot of calibration fluid. I switched to the Tropic Marin glass hydrometer and haven't looked back. That thing is awesome. And I know a lot of people prefer red sea calcium over salifert, myself included. Aquaforest makes a good magnesium kit.
Also imo ur wasting $$ getting any phosphate kit other than Hannah Checker. I can never read the colors right. But make sure u get the right Checker if u go with Hannah. Most use the ULR

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also imo ur wasting $$ getting any phosphate kit other than Hannah Checker. I can never read the colors right. But make sure u get the right Checker if u go with Hannah. Most use the ULR

I wanted to say that but I am colorblind so most test kits available are a waste of money for me lol

OP
OP
Z

zdrc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good. I use the red sea pro alk test as its quicker but that is my personal preference. I would rather get a hanna test for phosphate over the alk .

I would also get the cheap thermometer with the inkbird. I do so to make sure my inkbird is still reading correctly
Which Hanna phosphate? The LR or the ULR?

I picked the Hanna alkalinity because it seemed like it would the simplest. Do you think the red sea pro is simpler?

OP
OP
Z

zdrc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know. I think I like how the red sea pro alk test looks.

Hmm, I'll have to think about the hydrometer. It is nice that it doesn't need calibration.

Klyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Good to know. I think I like how the red sea pro alk test looks.

Hmm, I'll have to think about the hydrometer. It is nice that it doesn't need calibration.
I've never used red sea alk so can't speak about it but from someone who's been using salifert alk for 2+ years I can't say enough good things... it's cheap, very reliable, and I've never noticed a discrepancy between bottles of reagent. (Whatever the old kit read, the new kit is the same) The only variable between bottles of reagent is the end color. Sometimes it's pink and sometimes it's more purplish - red. But always spot on!

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which Hanna phosphate? The LR or the ULR?

I picked the Hanna alkalinity because it seemed like it would the simplest. Do you think the red sea pro is simpler?

Alk test like the salifert and red sea pro are easy to use. I originally got the pro alk, calcium, and mag from red sea in a combo kit (saves you some money) and fortunately I can read these.

As for phosphate, the hanna ulr phosphate or ulr phosphorus are best (the phosphorus one is more precise)

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.1%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 69 41.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back