Testing the Big 3 Parameters

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been waiting for Aquaforest tests for a long time, and I very excited that the new Aquaforest tests are out now.

One of the things I like about these tests is that they are laboratory certified. My confidence level with these tests are higher than most. I wanted to see how the Aquaforest tests compare to Hanna checkers, Red Sea, and ELOS. On a side note, I purchased all of these tests used.

Aquaforest has some classy videos along with Red Sea, Hanna, and ELOS. ELOS wins for music. I have provided links below for the videos from each of the companies tested. The reason for shooting videos, is that I wanted to show a hobbyist doing the tests. I do have some fancy stuff for testing but no lab coat.

AquaForest

ELOS

Hanna

Red Sea

The first test is the calcium test.

The second test is the magnesium test.

In the final test will be the alkalinity test.

My findings are that the Aquaforest, Hanna, and ELOS are very close and consistent in testing.

I messed around with the kits and found that Aquaforest and ELOS are right there with my Hanna checkers on Ca and alkalinity. I have a Red Sea Mg test kit and compared the test with the Aquaforest Mg. I kind of lost faith in the Red Sea kits because the alkalinity test has not been testing alkalinity consistently in the past 6 months even with new reagents. The Red Sea Mg has been a little weird too. The Red Sea Ca has been testing lower Than the Hanna and the Aquaforest test kit.

Here are the number as they were tested.
Comparson 08-30-17 dashbord Apex.PNG

I also tested the Aquaforest test kit sample water using the other kits with what sample water I had. I did speed these videos up a tad. You will notice that some of the numbers are all over the place. Kind of the reason that I am a two test kit person with the big 3 going forward.

Sample water Ca

Sample water Mg

Sample water Alk

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

XNavyDiver

Insightful answer loading... please wait.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome videos! Great info and I had no idea aquaforest was making test kits. I would be interested in seeing how salifert compares with mag and cal as those are I'm using currently for those.

I love your cuvette holder and magnetic stirrer. I need to up my water testing game it seems...

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hanna has a Calcium tester! I never knew. I use their Alkalinity tester and love how fast and easy it is to use. I'm buying their Calcium tester now.

It a great kit, and you get some lab toys to pay lab tester with.

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
very nice and good info!

what is the sample AF alk solution supposed to be? interesting how different the hanna and AF were on that.
I going for tester error on that one. I did not have enough solution to run another test
IMG_5013.JPG

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@jsker What is that device that the vile is sitting on?

The clear thing? That is the JSKER handy dandy vile/cuvette holder, so my sausage size finger do not knock them over:D

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome videos! Great info and I had no idea aquaforest was making test kits. I would be interested in seeing how salifert compares with mag and cal as those are I'm using currently for those.

I love your cuvette holder and magnetic stirrer. I need to up my water testing game it seems...

I was thinking about using the sailfert Mg test add may add it in here very soon. As far as Ca tests all the test were pretty close, so in my opinion most calcium tests one has nothing to be concerned about accuracy.

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you again. The link has 10 stirrer bars. Is this something that goes bad and needs to be replaced?
They are so tiny or can get lost, I keep extra on hand. You will need metal tweezers to get them out of the cuvettes ;)

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great write up.

I only have the MG, but it pretty consistent for me so far.

I just truly love my hannah CA & KH.

We must Always remember we are not needing to chase these numbers, but get a consistency with these kits to lead to stability.
Agree %100 there brother

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back