Testing the Philips Coral Care LED's claims - Are they realistic?

Aliasger

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ye
@Aliasger
Do you have a 8 meter long by 1.2 meter deep tank?

Yes i am planning on having a reef tank. I was thinking of buying orphek but then came across this lights so wanted to know. Any experts advice please. Will really appreciate.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes i am planning on having a reef tank. I was thinking of buying orphek but then came across this lights so wanted to know. Any experts advice please. Will really appreciate.
That's a monster tank!!!!!!!!
That's like 26 feet long by 47" deep!!!! :)
@Terence @gus6464

Happy 4th of July!!!!!!!

Do you guys have any incite for @Aliasger

Regards, GoVols

Luc Vogels

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,

Is philips coral care good enough for an 8m long , 1.2m deep reef tank?
That is indeed a huge tank! The biggest tank (currently in development) with Coralcare will be 5mx3mx1m and has 24 lamps above it... But this is in a public zoo! Can you share a bit more information about your tank. What is the width and what animals you want to keep (fish only, or corals sps/lost/mix). Based on this I can give you some more advise.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is indeed a huge tank! The biggest tank (currently in development) with Coralcare will be 5mx3mx1m and has 24 lamps above it... But this is in a public zoo! Can you share a bit more information about your tank. What is the width and what animals you want to keep (fish only, or corals sps/lost/mix). Based on this I can give you some more advise.
(lol)
Tagging... Again!!!!!! :)

Aliasger

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The width is 1m and will house corals and fish. Mainly corals..

Luc Vogels

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The width is 1m and will house corals and fish. Mainly corals..

A fish only tank of this size can be lid with 6-8 lamps.
Adding LPS and software corals would require about 10 lamps.
For a mixed tank with LPS and SPS you would need about 14-16 lamps.
And a full SPS tank with ideal light distribution would require 20 lamps (2 rows of 10).

Such a big tank requires a lot of light :)

Aliasger

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A fish only tank of this size can be lid with 6-8 lamps.
Adding LPS and software corals would require about 10 lamps.
For a mixed tank with LPS and SPS you would need about 14-16 lamps.
And a full SPS tank with ideal light distribution would require 20 lamps (2 rows of 10).

Such a big tank requires a lot of light :)
Instead, i was planning for orphek P300 V4. I spoke to them and they said it works upto 4 m deep. Was just curious about this philips since its cheap. But i am going to house sps and lps and looking at 14-16 lamps would equally charge me for 8 orphek lights.

Luc Vogels

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Instead, i was planning for orphek P300 V4. I spoke to them and they said it works upto 4 m deep. Was just curious about this philips since its cheap. But i am going to house sps and lps and looking at 14-16 lamps would equally charge me for 8 orphek lights.
Adding only 1880W of LED lighting (Orphek is 235 Watt max) above a tank of 10.000 Liters is maybe a bit optimistic.
You can use spotlike lamps if you have sufficient height above your tank (else you won't achieve a homogenous light distribution) but you would need more power if you only want to install 8 light sources.
It just depends on your budget and goals of your tank..
Full SPS... (every inch of your tank has sufficient light to house/grow (SPS) corals)
Or just create corals islands with spot like lights above them.
Good luck (and lots of fun) with the preparation!

sasa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Guys,

Reading the topic it seems most of you are from the states and uncertain about the coralcare unit's true potential. I do not say I've reached it but I currently using 3 units on my 150 gallon, currently running them at 70%. Corals need time to get used to the light. Details here:
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/sasa-150g-sps-tank.318098/

Needless to say I am really happy with Coralcare. Ordered the first lamp just a few days after release in last year October / November if I remember correctly. Tried and seen several other products, chinese LEDs, high level brands like Orphek and Laniled. So far I like the Coralcare the most (expect the look, duh. But I love that it's passive).

Last edited:

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Guys,

Reading the topic it seems most of you are from the states and uncertain about the coralcare unit's true potential. I do not say I've reached it but I currently using 3 units on my 150 gallon. Details here:
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/sasa-150g-sps-tank.318098/

Needless to say I am really happy with Coralcare. Ordered the first lamp just a few days after release in last year October / November if I remember correctly. Tried and seen several other products, chinese LEDs, high level brands like Orphek and Laniled. So far I like the Coralcare the most (expect the look, duh. But I love that it's passive).
Thank You!!!

Welcome to Reef 2 Reef

We understand the potential, but we don't even know if it will come to the states??? :confused:

Philips needs to get the power supply out of it and slim it down, so that it looks good.

I've showed my wife the CoralCare, and she said...
"When they get that thing down, to the about the width of our flat screen TV hanging over our reef, will talk"

That fixture reminder's her of the ole MH days. It's massive and has too many cables and does not look good in your den.

If it gets to the states??? and it's slimmed way down, I'm in.

Regards, GoVols :)

Last edited:

sasa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they slim it they'd need fans to cool it. I love that it is passive and ip protected.

There is no info on Us release still?

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.8%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 33 16.8%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 35 17.9%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 96 49.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.5%
Back