Tests during cycle period

DarkReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,

I've just started cycling my tank, my LFS gave me an ammonia test kit only to start with saying the rest can come later.
Basically told me I should aim to get 3 ammonia spikes (by spike I think they were talking like 0.2ppm something small), using the ammonia chloride stuff from dr tims.

Should I be testing for more? Seeing a bunch of posts saying that Nitrates should be checked as well, anything else? Or is just the ammonia okay for now using this method and then grab a nitrate kit once I'm getting 0 ammonia on the 3rd time?

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I be testing for more?
Seeing a bunch of posts saying that Nitrates should be checked as well

Or is just the ammonia okay for now using this method and then grab a nitrate kit once I'm getting 0 ammonia on the 3rd time?

You can just test the ammonia. Once the bacteria you added has grown enough to consume the ammonia in 24 hours. You can test for nitrates.
They will be high
Change out 75 to 90% of the water if you can and add a fish or 2.

OP
OP
DarkReefer

DarkReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can just test the ammonia. Once the bacteria you added has grown enough to consume the ammonia in 24 hours. You can test for nitrates.
They will be high
Change out 75 to 90% of the water if you can and add a fish or 2.
Thanks for the info, will just work with that then :)

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bacteria that eat ammonia multiply exponentially and fast. Your ammonia will stay the same for awhile but will dive fast when bacteria hit critical mass. Wait a couple days after this point then do a 50% water change. You are as cycled as you are going to get.

Not sure why to bother reading nitrate. Waste of a test kit at this point.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 72 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 70 50.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 35 25.2%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.5%
Back