Tetra Algae Wafers to tangs

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got a yellow tang and a Kole tang (to be fair the kole tang doesn't need much algae based food and does fine on mysis) both tangs have been eating mysis and pellets for the last week or so without ant masstick or dried seaweed as I have run out and it is tough to get right now. Both tangs have been eating well since I got them for a while. Would it be worth it to throw in an algae wafer that I usually feed my plecos and such in my freshwater tank to my reef. Are algae wafers worth a try to keep some algae in their diet until i can get more? I feed hikari carnivore and mysis otherwise with some freezedried bloodworm.

OP
OP
A

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might just try half a wafer today at feeding time...

Amado

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tangs need nori. You can get nori at the supermarket. Just make sure it’s just seaweed. The pleaco algae wafers might be to hard for the tangs to eat. The nori in the supermarket is also cheap. It’s like $3

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on the nori. Sushi grade nori is usually pretty easy to find at the grocery store and the tangs love it. Most of the nori you find is lightly toasted. Doesn't hurt anything, but reduces the nutritional value slightly. If you can find dried but not toasted, that's best.

I just checked my algae wafers that I feed my pleco's and there are a lot of ingredients. I think I'd leave that for the freshies.

OP
OP
A

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tangs need nori. You can get nori at the supermarket. Just make sure it’s just seaweed. The pleaco algae wafers might be to hard for the tangs to eat. The nori in the supermarket is also cheap. It’s like $3
They have been out for a bit of most foods where I am and the lfs is a bit far I was just wondering if a single feeding or so would hurt becauae I saw on youtube people feeding algae wafers to clean up crew and tangs.

OP
OP
A

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on the nori. Sushi grade nori is usually pretty easy to find at the grocery store and the tangs love it. Most of the nori you find is lightly toasted. Doesn't hurt anything, but reduces the nutritional value slightly. If you can find dried but not toasted, that's best.

I just checked my algae wafers that I feed my pleco's and there are a lot of ingredients. I think I'd leave that for the freshies.
I is tough to get nori at the moment I am going to check again but its hard to get certain foods right now I wil try to order masstick soon.

OP
OP
A

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

OP
OP
A

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried half a wafer and they went crazy especially the tangs definitely not a food I would feed often but they loved it. I fed 5 to my freshwater tabk however.

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried half a wafer and they went crazy especially the tangs definitely not a food I would feed often but they loved it. I fed 5 to my freshwater tabk however.
Okay. Now I gotta try it. Just once. Sounds too good to resist.

dtruitt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our yellow and kole Tang like the algae wafers, but they tend to sink and find their way under the rocks.

Wish I could suggest something other than Nori, but seaweed is a must for tangs. Check amazon, liveaquaria, or brs maybe?

OP
OP
A

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our yellow and kole Tang like the algae wafers, but they tend to sink and find their way under the rocks.

Wish I could suggest something other than Nori, but seaweed is a must for tangs. Check amazon, liveaquaria, or brs maybe?
I break up the algae wafers instead of feeding them as one piece so instead it is like pellet size with one piece left bigger that my kole tang got last time. This lets the fish eat it quickly.

2000se

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What if you have so much algae growing in your tank that the tangs are eating that.. Still need nori?

dtruitt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What if you have so much algae growing in your tank that the tangs are eating that.. Still need nori?

They'll be fine for a while with a good crop of algae in a DT. I just wouldn't trust nuisance algae to meet all of their dietary needs in the long run, and I would hope that algae will disappear sooner than later.

Amado

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

yes tangs spend all day in the ocean eating algae. So in our tanks it’s a good idea to feed nori. I have 4 tangs in my tank and I feed a sheet of nori every day.

OP
OP
A

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have been feeding nori, masstick, and the occasional broken up algae wafer. I think the algae wafers help cleanup crew more than fish but the fish eat them.

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey! In my experience i have never seen a fish interested in an algae wafer, but snails like em! We sell macros that tangs love such as sea lettuce! ~Shaun K.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 24.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 48 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 30.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 11 7.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.8%
Back