OP
OP
TechnicalFisher

TechnicalFisher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update, I'm now about 5 months into running Triton and no water changes. Alk has settled in around 7.8 and corals are continuing to grow. I'm still down at a really small daily dose (like .5ml) and am not sure why usage is so low (I guess frags don't use a lot) but things are stable so I'm happy. My only hiccup has been a big dose of Core7 #2 that went in a couple months ago driving my calcium through the room. Everything seemed OK so I just took #2 offline on the doser and have been letting it gradually settle back down. It's just finally getting back near normal, currently at 490 so a little more to fall.

A few coral pics....

BC Forest Fire Digi has really taken off with several branches coming out .
FF Digi 2-11-18.jpg

BC Pink Milli has also shown great growth, completely encrusting the base and starting a new stalk. It grew over the course of a week that I was away. When I first saw it I panicked seeing the white and thinking it was RTN'ing but it's got polyps and is all new growth.
Pink Millie 2-11-18.jpg

Red Planet I picked up a couple weeks ago from Boom Corals. Already encrusting over the plug.
Red Planet 2-11-18.jpg

JF Superman Monti that had struggled for months as my tank was settling in has finally taken off, colored up and is growing well.
Superman 2-11-18.jpg

Walt Disney from Boom Corals. It hasn't started encrusting yet but is showing good PE and is starting to color up. Can't wait to see this one take off.
WD 2-11-18.jpg

And my Zoa Island, started out with just a few and has really started to get covered.
Zoas 2-11-18.jpg

Also have been getting the Ethereal dialed in better. I'd been running it down around 80% on the blues and 65% on the whites for a long time. Finally got my hands on a PAR meter and was shocked at how low my levels were. Will put together a pic with some numbers at some point but everything was below 150, even up on top where my acros were. I'm surprised they were growing at all at those numbers. I've gradually increased my settings to 100% on all except warm white, which is at 95%. At those levels I'm getting mid-200's at the base of all my acros on my upper rock and between 250-350 in the areas where they will all be growing into. Hopefully that should be enough to sustain good growth and coloration, time will tell.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TechnicalFisher

TechnicalFisher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple pics of what's happening in the sump since going full Triton method. In order to have the fuge in the first chamber I had to remove the baffle in the SCA sump that divided the first chamber and then moved the skimmer into the second chamber- it just fit.

sump.jpg

For the fuge, I started out with a mix of Cheato, Hypnea Pannosa and Red Gracilaria. The Chaeto has grown like crazy so I've been harvesting about 1/3 of it a month. The Hypnea, which is a cool shade of blue that you can sort of see towards the front, has been growing slower but doing well. The Gracilaria hasn't done much and is sort of dwindling away.

fuge.jpg

For lighting I'm using a 36W grow light from Amazon. Running it for 12h each night. Seems to be working great.

OP
OP
TechnicalFisher

TechnicalFisher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also meant to include latest parameters:

Sallinity- 1.027
PH- 8.0 daily average
Alk- 7.6
Ca- 490
Mg- 1390
NO3- 1
PO4- .03

Dosing .5ml/day of Triton Core7 #1 and #2 plus 1ml/day of Core7 3a/3b combined. Dosing 15ml/week of AcroPower and 1.5ml/week of Triton Iodine.

Also dosing KNO3, recently at 2ml per day but NO3 has still steadily fallen. So have increased it to 6ml/day bring it up and will be aiming to keep nitrates closer to 5, which seems to be where the corals have been growing/coloring the best.

Broadcast feeding the tank 2-3 times a week with Reef Chili.

OP
OP
TechnicalFisher

TechnicalFisher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right around one year on Triton with no water changes, thought I'd post some updated pics...

FTS 10-18.jpg

Dales 10-18.jpg

Planet 10-18.jpg

Rastas 10-18.jpg

BoomBerry 10-18.jpg

WDC 10-18.jpg

OP
OP
TechnicalFisher

TechnicalFisher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And last a few growth sequences. All of these are February-October 2018.

BC Forest Fire Digi

FF Digi 6 mo grow.jpg

ORA Red Planet

Planet 6 mo grow.jpg

Boom Corals WD Tenuis

WDC 6 mo grow.jpg

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 34.7%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 16.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 24.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back