Thank you COVID - RODI Solenoid Failure Disaster

jsbull

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I'm blessed this time because the disaster could have been so much worse.

My Tunze RODI solenoid that sits behind my 150 gallon tank and manages my top-off, failed big-time this week. By failed, I mean that the brass snapped (how does this even happen with low pressure purified water running through it!?!?) and the RODI started running onto the hardwood floors, into my living room and through the wall into the adjacent room.

Thanks go to:
1. Apex leak detection for quickly alerting me of the issue.
2. COVID causing me to work from home, because I never could have trouble shot this with my wife via a phone call (like most aquarium crises). It took shutting the cold water off in the bathroom on the other side of the wall. My office is about 30 minutes from my home. I was fortunate not to assume the cause of the leak and to have a flashlight next to the aquarium so I could see the cause.
3. My work team for pressing on with the Zoom call I was leading when I bolted off without explanation mid-sentence.

I have no clue how this happened, but I think we will recover after fast action, lots of shammys to soak up the water, some closet carpet removal by me (first time and I don't know how to put it back down) and a few fans to dry as much as possible.

My advice and change I'll make is to be sure the solenoid is in an easy to access location and away from electronics.

12368C97-2678-4168-B18F-AEC0915BC761.jpeg C13F8E04-DE7A-4AAE-8805-4369BF8235AF.jpeg 599B0B20-3523-4770-8580-5501D5F7D286.jpeg 9347828B-8AB0-4185-94B7-25C88A3A0E8B.jpeg

OP
OP
jsbull

jsbull

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was resting on the ground behind the tank and I've never done anything except plug it in and connect the hoses. So no tightening at all. It was tapped off a sink's cold water line on city water, through the BRS RODI filter and then to the solenoid. ‍♂️

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 76 35.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 58 27.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 66 30.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.7%
Back