The ‘Most of you will completely disagree with everything I did’ 180g Mixed Reef

OP
OP
Gregg @ ADP

Gregg @ ADP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update Pt 1:

Finally got around to rebuilding the collapsed lagoon end. A few challenges with this, primarily being up against the clock. I didn’t have time to tear things down and do a really solid rebuild.

I had 2 hours.

So I’ll try to outline what I did, how I did it, but more importantly, what I did wrong that resulted in this issue.

1. Quikrete Water-Stop Hydraulic Cement:

This product is mildly controversial with reef keepers. Some swear by it, some say avoid it at all cost.

I have used this stuff for years, and let me say first off that I have never had a single issue with it in terms of being an issue with water chemistry. I’ve used it on dozens of tanks, and I’ve never seen organisms react negatively to its use…even without first curing.

That said, this product has some limitations, and there is a learning curve associated with its use and how those limitations in saltwater. It is great for building structures. What it is not great for is supporting load. When using Quikrete, it’s important to not ask it to hold heavier structures together without additional support. If rocks are anchored with dowel or rods, the mortar is excellent in solidifying the structure, even when going horizontally with nothing underneath.

But if you try to get it to bear load, on its own, it will eventually crumble.

The new learning for my learning curve on this one was that plastic mass changes once underwater, and locking everything in tightly with cement when it’s dry, and then not using enough cement while doing so, is a recipe for disaster. When I built that lagoon, not only did I not account for shifting and swelling of the structure, I also mixed the cement too thin. Had there not been any structural shifting, it might have been fine, but all of that shifting plus the weight of all of the sand pretty much just liquefied the cement.

I drained the tank 2/3 of the way down to redo the front corner of that structure:
5ZWTWeP.jpeg

Once I did that, I realized the cement all the way around the entire structure failed. It opened up against the back panel, and once I moved the sand bed, and bunch of it just slid down under the structure. Womp womp, as the kids would say.

I was able to just cut some filter pad and block it, but I realize now that everything I’m doing is a stop-gap, and after the school year, I’m going to have to drain the tank down and rebuild the lagoon structure properly.

None of the corals I’ve added are attached to permanently cemented rocks, so it will be easy to move all of that stuff out and really get into it.

Despite the relative failure this time, I still really like the Quikrete in reefs. Just need better anticipation next time.

Put back together (for now):
MgzMmFK.jpeg

OP
OP
Gregg @ ADP

Gregg @ ADP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update Pt 2:

Finding 2 Needles in a Haystack

Going into redoing that lagoon end, my biggest concern was that I have a pistol shrimp and a goby living in the upper part near the overflow. The substrate depth was about 7” near the overflow, tapering down to about 4”.

I also became aware through my observations that while the main opening for the shrimp was in the top corner, the tunnel network spanned out for about 12-14” from the corner, including through the mangrove roots.

That meant that I had to try to coax the goby and shrimp out before draining. I’ll spare you the suspense and tell you that it most certainly did not happen. So, I quickly drained the tank down with 1” flex PVC, and quickly started digging. With two very small animals somewhere under several pounds of substrate, I had to be very careful trying to extricate them. I slowly and gently pulled substrate away with my fingertips.

After about 4 minutes of digging, I found the goby. Pulled it out and dropped it in one of the water containers. It was fine, even after being out of water for several minutes. Then I started looking for the pistol shrimp. I ended up clearing all of the substrate out from that end of the tank, but did not find it. I was at the point where I was going to have to start pulling mangroves, and almost said ‘Screw it’. Not sure how much mangrove experience people have, but their roots are vital to their survival, as they utilize a reverse osmosis process that allows the trees to live in saltwater. Messing with their roots can be a fatal mistake.

I gently started to brush substrate away from the roots, and was delighted to see how extensive the root structures had become. After getting the first one pulled up, I found the pistol shrimp under where the tree was. Grabbed it, dropped it in the container. It was fine.

I was delighted that I was able to actually find and capture these two. Then, after setting the tank back up, I placed the goby in the same spot. As I added the shrimp to the upper back corner of the lagoon, it shot backward toward the front of the tank, dropped down into the deeper water, and scrambled back into the rocks.

So much for that.

The goby has moved into the deeper part of the tank, and I hear the shrimp occasionally, so I’m sure they found each other. I just don’t anticipate ever seeing the shrimp again.

The happy couple before I literally tore their world apart:
dGZN4UL.jpeg

OP
OP
Gregg @ ADP

Gregg @ ADP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update Pt 3:

I have already accepted that the lagoon end is going to require a fairly substantial redo at the end of the school year. I really need to get in there and reinforce all of it so that I don’t have the same issue that I just tried to fix.

But I’ve never really been satisfied with how clunky and full that end of the tank looks. So that will be an opportunity to make it right and give it a little more shape and make it look less boxy. More on that when the time comes.

I think I’m done adding coral for now. Here is the latest haul:

f8biOZE.jpeg

I noticed as I was mounting coral on the corals on the reef wall end that I was kinda running out of room. Additionally, since I am going to remodel that part of the tank, I might as well redo the reef wall a little. So there isn’t much point in getting more coral. Although I could start adding some stuff to the lagoon.

Here’s what that end looks like now:
JqxzSYf.jpeg

What I really like about the reef wall is that I can have it getting blasted by the wave gyre, but…as in nature…it takes the brunt of the flow but lets the perfect amount swirl around in the lagoon end.

The reef wall also gets a lot of direct sunlight…about 3.5hrs a day. It’s hilarious how changing coral from one LED to another LED requires gentle acclimation, but if you switch them from LED to sunlight, they don’t miss a beat.

Finally, I still have this isolated rock structure on the left:
8has6Dv.jpeg

The top rock is just sitting there. The lower piece is one that I cut the bottom to be flat with a Sawzall, and then cemented it to the bottom of the tank. The top of that piece is naturally flat. I am trying to decide if I should leave that top rock on there, add some nice table-top acro on the lower rock, and then some other stags etc on the upper rock…

Or…

Get a Heteractis magnifica for the lower rock and then maybe move that top rock off. I would love to just have a giant anemone with a bunch of clowns in that spot.

What do you all think?

LegalReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update Pt 3:

I have already accepted that the lagoon end is going to require a fairly substantial redo at the end of the school year. I really need to get in there and reinforce all of it so that I don’t have the same issue that I just tried to fix.

But I’ve never really been satisfied with how clunky and full that end of the tank looks. So that will be an opportunity to make it right and give it a little more shape and make it look less boxy. More on that when the time comes.

f8biOZE.jpeg

I noticed as I was mounting coral on the corals on the reef wall end that I was kinda running out of room. Additionally, since I am going to remodel that part of the tank, I might as well redo the reef wall a little. So there isn’t much point in getting more coral. Although I could start adding some stuff to the lagoon.

JqxzSYf.jpeg

What I really like about the reef wall is that I can have it getting blasted by the wave gyre, but…as in nature…it takes the brunt of the flow but lets the perfect amount swirl around in the lagoon end.

The reef wall also gets a lot of direct sunlight…about 3.5hrs a day. It’s hilarious how changing coral from one LED to another LED requires gentle acclimation, but if you switch them from LED to sunlight, they don’t miss a beat.

8has6Dv.jpeg

The top rock is just sitting there. The lower piece is one that I cut the bottom to be flat with a Sawzall, and then cemented it to the bottom of the tank. The top of that piece is naturally flat. I am trying to decide if I should leave that top rock on there, add some nice table-top acro on the lower rock, and then some other stags etc on the upper rock…

Or…

Get a Heteractis magnifica for the lower rock and then maybe move that top rock off. I would love to just have a giant anemone with a bunch of clowns in that spot.

What do you all think?

Definitely gotta support your idea of getting a Magnifica anemone, one of those flowing gently in the current with a clownfish harem would look incredible honestly! Alternatively, having a big ol' tabling acro of some sort growing out there could look really cool.

OP
OP
Gregg @ ADP

Gregg @ ADP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely gotta support your idea of getting a Magnifica anemone, one of those flowing gently in the current with a clownfish harem would look incredible honestly!
I’m heavily leaning that way. It’s a perfect spot for one, and it can get as big as it wants there.

I can grow a table acro anywhere.

LegalReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do
I’m heavily leaning that way. It’s a perfect spot for one, and it can get as big as it wants there.

I can grow a table acro anywhere.

Go for it then! It'd look phenomenal, and be a useful teaching tool if you can manage to get a breeding harem of clowns going too!

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update Pt 3:

f8biOZE.jpeg

JqxzSYf.jpeg

8has6Dv.jpeg

Or…

What do you all think?
Love all the new frags!

OP
OP
Gregg @ ADP

Gregg @ ADP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
High school kids are funny about this aquarium. It’s almost like they don’t even know it’s there.

But then you point something interesting out to them, and they flip out.

Today, I noticed a basket star that had come in with the maricultured rock. It was actively feeding, and when I was pointing it out to students, they lost their minds:
Q1KGWjb.jpeg

Also found a Samo crab in one of the maricultured acros. I’m assuming it came in with it, and there didn’t appear to be any tissue damage, so it can stay for now. But I’ll be keeping my eye on it:
38egvDR.jpeg

The kids went nuts over the crab as well.

OP
OP
Gregg @ ADP

Gregg @ ADP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:

As I have mentioned, I don’t plan on doing much, if any, water testing. I’ve never chased numbers, and I generally have a good feel for what is going on in the water.

If there is a parameter I definitely don’t chase, it’s pH. In my experience, two things are true: 1) in nature, the pH does change…sometimes daily, and 2) if alkalinity is in line with where it would be in nature, it’s going to be pretty difficult to bring it down very much.

But then sometimes I get curious.

I have a classroom that, for 6 hours a day, has 25-30 people in it. That is a LOT of CO2 production and release. In addition. I do not have a protein skimmer with an air intake that I could run out of the window.

My pH should be on the low side, right?

Not according to my Pasco sensor:
N0v3zTr.jpeg

KldAfj2.png

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back