The 29g BC Journey

cMan5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's goin on reefers! Here I will be posting my journey's.. My experiences.. And progress as I build and create my ultimate biocube setup. I am stoked to get back into this hobby.. I dipped into the shallow end with a small pico tank.. Now I am diving in with the 29g BC..

Here is a checklist of the products I currently have as my BC is on it's way in the mail.. This thread will soon be updating regularly!
29g BC HQI (finally on it's way!)
inTank media basket/fuge basket
koralia 425/750 ph's --- should be proper flow? maybe too much?
reef keeper lite,
custom stand being built from a great friend
XM 150w 20k MH

I've got a couple questions now as it comes down to the time to order my live rock. :confused:
Everywhere I've read said this is the /foundation/ of your tank. So why not have a solid foundation.. Right? I am looking at some "fancy fused live rock" the average rock in a 30lb box range from 8-18".. It has green/purple/red/yellow c.algae on it..
I have a good feeling this will be a great foundation to my tank.. I am worried however- I read that the 20k MH bulb produces such a color that isn't found in the wild- meaning this will cause my c.algae to die off.. and not flourish.. Should I be worried about this? Should I return the 20k MH bulb for a 14k? I really want the color from the 20k.. But I also want the tank to be happy.. I've also read of people doing a 12hour LED strip, and 6hour MH rotation.. Is this something I should be looking into?

Maaaaaan am I diving in head first!:beat_brick:I'm ready for this though- I want to do things right/ and not rush into things..
Any advice or input from you guys would be :cool:
Thank you so much in advance, I look forward/honored to be sharing this journey with you guys!

ToXIc

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
look like a good list.. if you can front it get mp10 and do the 9-10 on a led strip and 6 on MH..

Gitsoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't worry to much on the algae dying off, are you gonna get a skimmer?

OP
OP
cMan5

cMan5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
look like a good list.. if you can front it get mp10 and do the 9-10 on a led strip and 6 on MH..

Thanks man, I really really like the mp10.. I'll probably end up purchasing one later on down the road..
What's the wattage I need to look for when I'm looking for a LED strip that will provide my coral with the proper light?

I wouldn't worry to much on the algae dying off, are you gonna get a skimmer?
I was debating that, I read that the tunze 9002 fits nicely in the back chamber, I have a mediabasket fuge for the second chamber. I am going to be filling that with chaeto. Theoretically I feel if I do bi-weekly 20% water changes I won't need a skimmer..

OP
OP
cMan5

cMan5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The cube has finally arrived in the mail! The stand is undergoing its final touches with my friend... And the live rock ships out Tuesday... Then it's go time!!

Gitsoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I think the water changes will cover the skimmer, Glad to hear your getting it soon your missing out on some nice coral!
oh yea your gonna have an ATO right?

OP
OP
cMan5

cMan5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I think the water changes will cover the skimmer, Glad to hear your getting it soon your missing out on some nice coral!
oh yea your gonna have an ATO right?
Solid.
I know... I keep seeing all of these rockin' packs people have or sale.. It's just like a constant itch that I can't scratch yet... Gotta be patient though! I'm going to get some pics up once I get my stand finished.. Gonna throw some primer and paint on it.. Then I'll be ready to start putting pieces together... Workin Mon-Friday this week.. And then four days off... Perfect timing for when the rock arrives..

Haven't really dipped into an ATO system yet.. I'll have to look around at them.. How much do they typically run?

Gitsoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think an ATO is a must, you can find them ranging from $45 - $100+.
also there's a lot of DIYs you can do but I wonder if your reef keeper has a module for this?

OP
OP
cMan5

cMan5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a couple little updates to show how this is goin! First time uploading pictures on here so bare with me!:eek:oh:

Biocube arriving...Dog is wondering what the heck is goin on!
photo 1.jpg

Unloaded tank
photo 2.jpg

Friend dropped off a stand he built for me, gotta finish the doors yet!
photo 3.jpg

Put on the primer/black gloss
photo 4.jpg

Got the jugs filled with water.. it's ready to rock n roll...
photo 5.jpg

Bout to get the hands wet:matrix:

OP
OP
cMan5

cMan5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The hands are wet.. salt/water mixing... hope this all mixes well and when the live rock arrives tomorrow.......Its GO TIME!

OP
OP
cMan5

cMan5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So... I've came to my first.. dangit moment.. Where I wish I would have ordered the rock earlier... I noticed this stuff needs to be cured... And that it's usually not the best thing to do in a brand new tank, bu better in a seprate container... Ima hold off on adding the rock to the tank.. Maybe give the rock a week to sit in a bucket and do its thang... Blah! Oh well... Nothing too tragic!

Gitsoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually it will take longer then a week to cycle rock. So I would just already drop it in the tank do my rockscape and add dr.tims one and only it will speed the nitrate cycle down to a week or a week and a half. I used it for 57gal and I even added two fish the same day. You can search about it. But I really trust this stuff.

OP
OP
cMan5

cMan5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm.... I'm kinda scared.... :/
Kinda wanted to go the all natural route...

Gitsoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand but how come you don't want the rock to cycle in your tank?

OP
OP
cMan5

cMan5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with it... I am having everything cycle in the tank...

OP
OP
cMan5

cMan5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure why I was afraid to cycle the rock inside the tank.. Probably read something somewhere that said doing so was a bad idea.. That's the problem with a ton of sources!

Anyways.. I talked to some reefer buds and said it should be fine.. So I'm doin it.. I wish I would have scrubbed the rock with some type of brush.. I've got some floaters goin on in here..

Snagged a couple basic pics.. I'll probably get more into pictures and bust out my dslr when I have a day off and this water clears up! Until then.. check out the pics! I'm really stoked about the live rock I got.. I was able to create a pretty nice setup.. I'm open to anything and my ears are wide open!!

P.s, I don't have the MH set up.. Going to do that tomorrow and run the light for about two hours a day... I had to set up my reef keeper, and just did it for the basic components.. I just wasn't havin all that tonight!

Thanks for all your help in advance!
Sorry for the head tilt....:sad: Really gotta figure out why these pictures are coming up sideways on here.. and I cannot rotate them!

photo 8.jpg

photo 9.jpg

photo 10.jpg

photo(1).jpg

OP
OP
cMan5

cMan5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Preformed a new aquascape... Gave the tank a type of cave like structure to it.. Pretty stoked about it.. The tank has been cycling with uncured live rock for about a week now.. Ammonia levels are still through the roof... But that's expected..
If anyone can give me any tips about anything different I should do gimme a holler!
Also.. I really can't figure out why these pictures are all sideways! it's not how they appear on my computer... Confused!!

Cheers!

photo 11.jpg

photo 12.jpg

photo 13.jpg

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 109 43.6%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 84 33.6%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 40 16.0%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 13 5.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.6%
Back