OP
cMan5

cMan5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey reefers!
Wanted to show you guys a nice little update to my tank..

I began the cycle of this tank on.. 1/19/12.. It has almost been up and running for a whole month!
Within a week the ammonia levels jumped off the charts, and were sitting there for quite some time.. I was cycling uncured live rock.. It was cold here, and most the dead crap on the live rock died. Boo-hoo. I had some c. algae grow back.. As I cycled my tank with a light cycle of two hours.. Trying to keep it alive.
Like a rookie, I dramatically increased the lighting time during the cycle, by an hour, every couple days. Currently I am sitting at seven hours. (Where I want to stay I think..) The c. algae bleached, light shock. Boo-hoo.

Nitrites sat at a solid "off the charts 5+" for a good two weeks. The ammonia levels were slowing decreasing. I added some chaeto to the back chamber about a week in, and they got it under control.

Nitrates are still a little high, but drop almost every test.

I came to the conclusion.. With the coral I am going to be keeping.. Kor 750/ Kor 425 / MJ 1200 was just overkill on the flow.. I took out the 750, and repositioned the 425.. Now I've got a nice low flow.

I really haven't had much of an algae bloom. I am assuming its because of the 20k bulb. The only algae I have growing is in the back corners of the tank, it's green. The stuff growing on my rocks is practically white.. Not really sure what's up with that.. Probably still getting use to the light..

Being the impatient person I am. I jumped the gun and purchased a couple zoanthids. They're doing fine, and growing. Added a little life in the tank. I have another shipment on the way in about two weeks.. Wait till you guys see these things.. two little gems that will knock some socks off..

I'm going to be added some snails within the week also.. Anyone have a recommendation on what I should add? I'm only going to be LPS/softies in here.. Wasn't crazy on any crabs.. Thinking mostly snails.. I may add a pair of clowns.. That'll probably be it..

But yeah! Here's the update. Cheers.

full4.jpg

zoa2.jpg

zoa.jpg

iphone pics.. meh

OP
OP
cMan5

cMan5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks man! Going to be adding that soon.. Not sure what to add.. Check the last paragraph ;)

Gitsoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh haha I feel dumb now! I always hate when people do that and now I did it haha but yeah
can't go wrong with turbo snails, hermits and Tongan Nassirus snails the only thing I don't like about them is if I have a frag in the sand the tend to be pushed or moved around a bit by the since they are mostly in the sand, but they do keep the sand stirred

OP
OP
cMan5

cMan5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha, all good man. Sometimes I worry I write to much.. I probably get the .. TLDR comment.. Oh well.. (too long didn't read)

I added two turbo snails.. They're puttin in work on the algae..

Nitrates are still in the 20's.. Haven't done a water change in about two weeks... Gonna hit that up tomorrow and should be steady eddie.. Got a couple chalice pieces coming Tuesday.. Stoked!!

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 103 43.5%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 79 33.3%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 39 16.5%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.7%
Back