The 3 most nutritious foods for your fish?

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most will go with LRF, I make my own:)

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can only get the frozen ones and they don’t defrost well... at least not like mysis or brine does. How do you feed it?

I thaw littleneck clams on the counter than rinse them after about an hour; havent had any issues this way. I drop them in the tank whole and the fish really seem to enjoy picking at it. I typically leave it in the tank for an hour or two and remove the shell.

Sorcha2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Nutremeva ova
Everything eats it from fish to most of my corals. It's the only thing my mandarin will eat other than live pods.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I buy the biggest chowder clams I can find. They sell them in a fish market or bait store. I freeze them and slice of paper thin slices.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really don't know what the most nutritious but I think that a "wide" variety of whole food from the sea is best for a long life.

OP
OP
B

Bigfish of La.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed reef frenzy nano, PE mysis, PE flakes, and fish eggs for desert.

I feel the reef frenzy is most nutritious, but they go nuts for the fish eggs.

Kmsutows

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I second the fish eggs. Also I feel it's best to choose a nice variety of fresh food. I use LRS fish frenzy, mysis, clams, fish/prawn eggs, nori, sometimes rods and whenever I can find live black worms. Like another said, really depends what kind of fish you're feeding

DesertReefT4r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best thing by far is variety. Get a lot of different frozen foods, a couple flake and/or pellet food. Make a blend of your own if you are up to it. Mysis, mysid, brine, plankton, Marine Cuisine, Rod's Food, LRS, Ocean Nutrition Prime Reef/ Formula 1 and 2, PE flake or pellets, New Life Spectrum, nori sheets. All are great choices and we should all work on having a good mix to feed our fish a mixed diet. For flake food I really liked Prime Reef, all my fish loved it.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's hard to define nutrituous. We talking about highest caloric value per gram, or most variety of vitamins, or the highest amount of vitimins per gram but less overall variety of vitamins and then how about breakdown of fatty acids omega 3 and such and ratios of DHA:EPA of those fatty acids.

Then have to consider what you are feeding and their needs, algae feeders or a lionfish or anthias.

That's why most recommend a variety or a food like LRS or rods that has a big range of ingredients.

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always used Hikari mysis, brine w/spirulina, and mega marine. San Francisco Bay mini blood worms. Reef Nutrition Tigger Pods. After checking out the LRS products. I am going to look into those.

ReefFrenzy

Shrimp Pimp
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks to everyone for all the LRS love! I certainly believe that a variety of ingredients and diversity is beneficial in an all around general aquarium food. A good mix of proteins and fatty acids can help bolster immunity and certainly help with conditioning broodstock for spawning. The proof is in the pudding, or fish food as they say and our website has a dozen testimonials where LRS has aided captive breeding efforts. http://www.larrysreefservices.com/testimonials.html Lot's of other great foods mentioned in the thread as well, and we also add PE Mysis to our blends.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back