The advantages and disadvantages of a bare bottom tank. Would you go BB?

Would you maintain a reef tank with a bare bottom?

• Yes I do now

Votes: 224 24.8%
  • Yes, I will try it in the future

Votes: 164 18.2%
  • No, I tried it and didn't like it

Votes: 72 8.0%
  • No I will never

Votes: 404 44.8%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 38 4.2%

• Total voters

Yevoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. What are the advantages of having a bare bottom reef tank?

2. What are the disadvantages of having a bare bottom reef tank?

3. How many of you run your tank bare bottom and how many of you used to but switched back to sand and why?
-No sand blowing around, allowing higher flow rates for SPS.
-No nutrient sink slowly building up in kitty litter, oh sorry sandbed.
-Easy clean up. Turn off pumps. Blast the rock,vacuum the bottom.
-Never have to deal with a sandbed gluing itself in a brick and wrecking your biofilter.
-More consistent dosing.

-Generally longer start to stability. Can be combated by mature rock, cycled bio media.

3. How many of you run your tank bare bottom and how many of you used to but switched back to sand and why?

I've run 3 tanks with sandbeds and 2 without. I won't ever have another sandbed unless the biotope requires it ie burrowing gobies or a mangrove tank.

Yevoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As to the "it doesn't look natural" complaint...
reef.jpeg

A large expanse of sand isn't natural in the middle of a reef crest. It just isn't.

Wall to wall coral on a rock base is actually the natural state there.

robospa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are generally two ways to maintain a reef tank as far as the substrates are concerned. You can either use some type of sand or you can use no sand and go bare bottom. Which is actually no substrate at all! :p We talked about sand the other day so today let's talk about bare bottom and the advantages and disadvantages of it.

bare bottom tank image via @irwin_fletch
DSC_0019.jpg
There are generally two ways to maintain a reef tank as far as the substrates are concerned. You can either use some type of sand or you can use no sand and go bare bottom. Which is actually no substrate at all! :p We talked about sand the other day so today let's talk about bare bottom and the advantages and disadvantages of it.

DSC_0019.jpg

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to try a bare bottomed tank if I was going for a high flow system. I only have a 29 gallon and the way my tank is scaped and placed in a wall I really don't see the bottom unless I'm standing right in front of it and it is only about 1/2 inch of sand.

I've always had some sand......fine sand, IMO the "flakey stuff" that is sold as sand today is on the coarser side than what I was told to use back in the day.

Sand is good for isolating corals though.

Bensonthefish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

DSC_0019.jpg
I have sand right now but I will go bare bottom soon. I see all the beautiful and successful corals in you tube w/o sand.

Barnabie Mejia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to try it, I should have done this with my 75g build but I went the sand route. I have set up a frag tank with a bare bottom, but I don't think I should consider it a win because it only has frags in it, so I don't have a bio load that I would have with a normal tank.

I think from all the research that I have done on here I think I have enough knowledge and skills to make it happen with minimal ugly stage, but it will be a prolonged time frame for it to be ready for SPS, but I am anxious for the flow opportunities for it!

Appoloreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I feel as though I don't fight as much algae, I've yet to get cyano or anything typically that you get with "sandies"

detritus for days. I vacuum into a sock in the sump but it piles up quick. I've turned up the flow as much as I'm comfortable doing so.

2 tanks running, 1 bb, 1 sand.
I currently have a 125 gallon bare bottom and will eventually add soft corals and have GSP to cover the bottom. I have seen tanks like this and I feel that it would be great having a grass bottom instead of sand. I used to have a sand bottom and my tank crashed and I said never again and I really love the clean look that the bare bottom offers.

ClownWrangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tile bottoms work great on freshwater tanks. Its the only way I go now, but would not look all that natural in a reef tank. Copepods wouldn't have a home. I think a bare bottom saltwater tank would look better with more "clutter" as this works well with freshwater tanks. A large live rock with chunks of ornamental macro algae here and there. and a few smaller rocks scattered around. The idea is to have more than 3/4 of the bottom covered with something

Appoloreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!
Using bare bottom for the first time over an year now.
Hard to come back to sand… very easy to maintain and best advantage is in terms of circulation.

However, I have to be honest… I still miss the sand… it is not the best visually.

D48BFCAC-8A18-4517-99F6-DC0E21E26443.jpeg
I honestly do not see anything wrong with the tank. I think it looks great. You can have all the same pleasures of a reef tank in a bare bottom as you can with a sand bed

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NO!

Sand sleeping wrasses are the best! Leopard wrasses, radiants, earmuffs... yes pls.

Maybe in a nano where I can't keep those anyways. My frag tank is bare bottom but not my large display.

Scorpius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my bare bottom tank. Getting it cycled and the biodiversity where it needed to be is definitely not for the faint of heart. Still though, I'll never go back to sand. Sand maintenace is terrible.

Justin_Casper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now I have two bare bottom tanks, but one is with the specific intent to grow out acropora and transplant the rock structure into an upgraded tank with sand. Essentially growing out the bommie in BB and then moving to a shallow tank with sand.

Bugeater281

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my bare bottom tank. Running a hammerhead pump on a closed loop on a 135g. Keeps food suspended until it’s gone or went over the over flow. The tanks bottom has next to no diatris build up(except around the base of some rocks. While I prefer the sand look. After having many pumps fall, and blast sand all over, sand inside pumps and water buckets. It’s nice to not have sand for a change. I just look forward to covering the bottom with corals.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got rid of my socks on my current bare bottom, no problems so far. Last tank was a play sand tank, no problems there either.

reefer415

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!
Hard to come back to sand… very easy to maintain and best advantage is in terms of circulation.

However, I have to be honest… I still miss the sand… it is not the best visually.

D48BFCAC-8A18-4517-99F6-DC0E21E26443.jpeg
That looks great! How do you keep the coraline off the bottom? In fact you don't look like you have any coraline at all? Only flow in one direction or did you take off the powerhead on this side for the pic?

Gaspipe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

Nice looking "floor" what's your routine to keep it so clean?

thanks!

Anthony Gatch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted "Other". I currently got sand. Maybe I would try it in the future. I know sand is a pain to take care of but I like the look of sand.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back