The Ants have arrived! How to treat around Reef tank?

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also live next to a small wetlands in the middle of what was swampy creek-land before development in/around 1980, so I've got a persistent presence to deal with.

Ants aren't the worst thing to have so I don't stress too hard over them outside of a week or two out of the year where they seem to swarm.

Gnats are the worst. My yard is completely uninhabitable by the time summer is rolling.

I gotta wear one of these if I wanna garden or mow without looking like a crazy-person being chased by invisible bees. :D

Bug Baffler Shirt - (L/XL)
09536_01_bugbaffler.jpg

No, not figuratively. I really have one of these and wear it if I need to garden or mow or whatever in the summer....basically when the weather is warm and not raining.

I've been known to garden at night with my Petzl headlamp to avoid the little rat-crap gnats. Even at night in the rain once or twice. ;)

I think I'd volunteer to have hornets, yellowjackets AND wasps and be stung by all three if I could get rid of the gnats.

Also, carpenter ants showed up last Summer so we'll see if there's a change in the ranking of "worst". :rolleyes: They were a small presence, but nothing I did deterred them last year. They ignore baits and expertly avoid diatomaceous earth. I even tried cinnamon and hot pepper powder out of silly desperation. Gonna try Tanglefoot in a couple strategic places this year if needed.

Don't want carpenter ants!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
Ubans13

Ubans13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have used the terro gel. It did put a dent in the ant population. And I moved the ato water to a bucket for now. I did by some spray and went around all the walls and did make a path around the tank. So after a day of the spray I would say I have killed a couple hounded thousand ants. And I'm not even exaggerating! Been shop vacuuming them up every day. Have had a ton of live ants floating around my sump so it looks like I will be having a sump clean up day in the very near future. Can't really do anything outside yet due to the snow! Need to melt. But a lot of great ideas to deal with the ants.

Back