The Aquarium Industry

disco_monster_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

I was wondering - how many of you actually work in the aquarium industry? I'm a product design student, with a couple years of planted/reef experience, and dream about having the opportunity to work in the design side of the industry. What have your experiences been?

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

I was wondering - how many of you actually work in the aquarium industry? I'm a product design student, with a couple years of planted/reef experience, and dream about having the opportunity to work in the design side of the industry. What have your experiences been?
I don't know if it would be considered the aquarium industry, but I worked for Petsmart in petcare for a little while. I basically bagged the fish and cleaned the tanks. I am really hoping to one day get involved with the reefing industry. Whether it be working for a facility like liveaquaria or a local fish store that does saltwater reef stuff.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back in my younger days, I managed a LFS and then did aquarium maintenance for several years. You sorta get burned out, start neglecting your home aquariums, etc. after awhile.

Antics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Back in my younger days, I managed a LFS and then did aquarium maintenance for several years. You sorta get burned out, start neglecting your home aquariums, etc. after awhile.
Pretty much this.

In my (limited) experience, people who own/manage/work in LFS or maintenance usually get to the point they don't have a home aquarium, and if they do its usually watered down to the point that its relatively low maintenance and easy to care for stuff.

Sometimes making a living kills the joy!

Back