The battle of green Chromis

DerekT5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I had a pair of 3 Chromis in my tank but eventually killed each other off. I am planning on getting another group of about 5 and I wanted them to stay peaceful and not kill each other. Any suggestions? Thanks

Baldguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you did have one survivor I'd keep that one and be happy. If you get more chances are they'll be down to one before long also.

falconut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only went with one, since the majority of people say they just kill each other off until one remains, I figured I'd skip the killing step. I also have a blue reef chromis and they seem to be fine together.

reefndude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Old tank I bought 5 from lfs and they all got along for over two years.
Current tank I ordered nine and every single one died within 2 weeks.
I recently added 7 that I purchased from lfs to try again one died immediately in qt. 6 made it through and are now in display. Only been 4 days now

Dr RBG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
started with seven and now have 3 1/2 (one hides most of the time) They chase other fish and fight with each other. .I am not a fan of them

RobertP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 5 chromis were the first fish I added a year ago. They picked on the smallest a while but all 5 are still doing well. I feed 1-2 times a day and lots of places to hide.

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I had a pair of 3 Chromis in my tank but eventually killed each other off. I am planning on getting another group of about 5 and I wanted them to stay peaceful and not kill each other. Any suggestions? Thanks

Unless you have a very large tank, lots of caves/tunnels in your aquascale or large acro colonies for them to hide in they’ll more than likely be aggressive. They can also start being aggressive to other fish...I wouldn’t get more. The one survivor has established dominance and if will very likely fight newcomers to death.

I’ve managed to keep 3 but 2 are lemon chromis and one is a regular b/g. That said, they ignore each other, never seen much schooling... good luck!

USMC 4 LIFE

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought 3 and still have 3. They even lay eggs twice a week. Really simple fish to keep for me.

I attribute my success to having plenty of flow, feeding frequently and having plenty of caves and crevasses for fish to hide in just in case.

Caliguy1983

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_6506.JPG I've always had 3 no problem. Had 3 for years in an old system and have had 3 in my new tank for a year.

OP
OP
DerekT5

DerekT5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you have a very large tank, lots of caves/tunnels in your aquascale or large acro colonies for them to hide in they’ll more than likely be aggressive. They can also start being aggressive to other fish...I wouldn’t get more. The one survivor has established dominance and if will very likely fight newcomers to death.

I’ve managed to keep 3 but 2 are lemon chromis and one is a regular b/g. That said, they ignore each other, never seen much schooling... good luck!

Can you keep different types of Chromis together?

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you keep different types of Chromis together?[/QUOTE

I’ve had these 3 for a couple of years now and they just ignore each other. Lemons look quite a bit different than regular b/g which I think helps. I’ve found the blue Reef and especially black and white chromis to be really aggressive so wouldn’t mix them.

HiddenUser

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had 3, then had 1. Added 4 more, then had 1 again. Now we just keep the 1 and he's been around for about 4-5 years.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back