The Battle with Red Planaria Flatworms

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that’s too bad, definitely can’t do a melanarus in there! I would just live with them until it was too much to bear. I’m just not the type of reefer to poison my tank with some sort of chemical. Definitely a tough situation! Hopefully they find their happy place and just become a healthy part of your ecosystem.
Again I have had them for over a year with really no problems! Check out my tank build thread if you get a chance. It is not like my tank is barren of corals.

Dserra89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Again I have had them for over a year with really no problems! Check out my tank build thread if you get a chance. It is not like my tank is barren of corals.
I'm facing the same problem in my 17 gal mixed reef. I first tried a possum wrasse for a few months but there didn't appear to be any interest in eating flatworms. Then I tried flatworm x and had marginal results. Within a month the population returned to normal and I lost a couple of corals in the process. My next approach is adding a pink streaked wrasse (also goes by cryptic six line). I'll let you know if I have any success.

Goby_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm facing the same problem in my 17 gal mixed reef. I first tried a possum wrasse for a few months but there didn't appear to be any interest in eating flatworms. Then I tried flatworm x and had marginal results. Within a month the population returned to normal and I lost a couple of corals in the process. My next approach is adding a pink streaked wrasse (also goes by cryptic six line). I'll let you know if I have any success.
How’s the pink streaked wrasse doing? Thinking of going the same route myself with a 20g nuvo. Maybe blue velvet nudi if I can find one.

Dserra89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How’s the pink streaked wrasse doing? Thinking of going the same route myself with a 20g nuvo. Maybe blue velvet nudi if I can find one.
Unfortunately, I'm still waiting on the pink streaked wrasse. Hopefully it shows up in stock in the near future.

catiebartholomew

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, I'm still waiting on the pink streaked wrasse. Hopefully it shows up in stock in the near future.
i have a bvn that i’m trying to lend out! let me know if you’d like to feed him for awhile

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On average they are 1- 1.25"
It has been over a year with red planaria in my tank and the colony has definitely thinned a ton but has never disappeared entirely. Maybe one day I will get one of these beautiful little creatures to help eradicate them for good, but I feel it is useless as the planaria will always be able to hide in spots that are unreachable like the back chambers.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
It has been over a year with red planaria in my tank and the colony has definitely thinned a ton but has never disappeared entirely. Maybe one day I will get one of these beautiful little creatures to help eradicate them for good, but I feel it is useless as the planaria will always be able to hide in spots that are unreachable like the back chambers.
the issue often is eggs which are tiny and often has a successful hatch rate if not discovered and removed

catiebartholomew

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i though that too being that i have a 40 gallon sump, but my bvn cleared the population in a month. i only have one and he was only ever in my display tank. i cannot find a single planaria anywhere in my tank, sump, or overflow (kinda sad bc now he’s starving). have a plan on how to decrease your flow specifically on the sand bed/ eliminate wide open areas on the sand bed by adding frag plug, run activated carbon to combat the bvn’s casual toxicity, and you’ll be fine. i run an ulns which is probably also helpful (carbon dose some vodka baybee it will change your life).

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i though that too being that i have a 40 gallon sump, but my bvn cleared the population in a month. i only have one and he was only ever in my display tank. i cannot find a single planaria anywhere in my tank, sump, or overflow (kinda sad bc now he’s starving). have a plan on how to decrease your flow specifically on the sand bed/ eliminate wide open areas on the sand bed by adding frag plug, run activated carbon to combat the bvn’s casual toxicity, and you’ll be fine. i run an ulns which is probably also helpful (carbon dose some vodka baybee it will change your life).
It is tough for me because my tank is 1.5 years old now and has basically had the planaria in it the entire time. If you check my build thread around 6 months ago the rocks were covered in them. They have really thinned out now and just see speckles on the rock/sand bed. Even during their peak when they hoarded my tank they seemingly caused no issues. I was always scared to treat with flat worm exit because it could release all the toxins which I did not think was worth it. I should also note I have never added any filtration on my tank (13.5 fluval evo). I think if not bothered or dying they dont really release toxins. Ive had many ornamental fish + inverts with no problem. If somone in the area had a BVN I would definitely add it in than pass it on, but not looking to actively buy one as Im not sure I could find a home for it after my small tank.

wattson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yellow or green coris wrasse will clean them up pronto, I actually had to rehome several coris wrasses because they would never stop hunting and poking through polyps of corals constantly.
As part of my dipping regimen of new corals, I would do a Flatworm Exit (double/triple dose) in a separate container for a half hour to avoid these flatworm PITA getting into my tank.

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back