The Battle with Red Planaria Flatworms

Joshthebox

View Badges
Reaction score
I have these in my tank, but they seem very different than the photos of typical red planaria. Does anyone know whether these are flatworms or not? And if so, are they harmless? Thanks.

Best reef aquarium LED lighting

Aheinz

View Badges
Reaction score
the red planaria battle is real I've been dealing with it, but also avoiding the chemical route and I got blue sapphire damsels, down to one sadly one didn't make it farbut put them in the tank and they started eating the rp,

Aheinz

View Badges
Reaction score
You missed one key natural solution. The blue velvet nudibranch only eats flatworms.
Blue_Velvet_Slug_ps.jpg

Blue_Velvet_Slug_ps.jpg
interesting and may have been very well fed in my tank i've had moments of literal mats of the red planaria, btu weekly water changes, the blue sapphire damsel, and making to to suck up the planaria with the water changes has helped a lot

phillygeeks

View Badges
Reaction score
I have these in my tank, but they seem very different than the photos of typical red planaria. Does anyone know whether these are flatworms or not? And if so, are they harmless? Thanks.
They are flatworms. They are not red planaria and they are more benign and some would say beneficial to an extent. However, they become a nuisance given the proper environment. The methods to keep them at bay are controlled nutrients, regular maintenance and then predators. You can kill these guys with chemicals. However, they are not red planaria and I would research hard about the side effects of using the chemicals prior to using.

Baldguy

View Badges
Reaction score
This is exactly what I have. I've heard them called brown planaria. I've tried every known remedy meant for red flatworms and none have worked. Flatworm Exit just irritates them even at 10x the recommended doseage. The fish that usually go after red flatworms just spit these out. They don't seem to do any harm. At any given time I'll have 40 or 50 on my glass and who knows how many on my Lps and softies. I've given up.

Do you have a local "hobby" friend you can call on when you need them?

• YES

Votes: 238 37.5%
  • No

Votes: 117 18.4%
  • I wish!

Votes: 280 44.1%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors
Underwater Creations, Inc.
Coral Euphoria | Choice Aquacultured SPS