The best algae scraper isn't sold as one

Joe Rice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First let me say that I only use this on the sides and back glass of my tank (where I'm less concerned about an errant scratch) but far and away the best algae scraper I've come across is this:

1600798462692.png

• You can get them online for between $10 and $15
  • The wide blade reduces the time it takes to clean the glass
  • The blades are very inexpensive to replace
  • The handle is very stiff allowing you to really get a lot of pressure on the blade (this makes a huge difference)
  • The blades are very sharp - easily removes coralline algae in one pass
I did have to put a dollop of silicone on the hole at the end of the handle to keep it from filling up with water when submerged. It actually hasn't scratched the glass but I still defer to my Tunze scraper for the front glass.

Homebrewer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First let me say that I only use this on the sides and back glass of my tank (where I'm less concerned about an errant scratch) but far and away the best algae scraper I've come across is this:

1600798462692.png

• The handle is very stiff allowing you to really get a lot of pressure on the blade (this makes a huge difference)
I did have to put a dollop of silicone on the hole at the end of the handle to keep it from filling up with water when submerged. It actually hasn't scratched the glass but I still defer to my Tunze scraper for the front glass.
Own it. Got mine in the tile section of the hardware store.

I don’t use it all the time (have a piranha float for everyday use), but if you’re doing some big maintenance and want to “reset” the glass, there is no better tool

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I slotted a piece of PVC pipe and stuck a blade in it.
IMG_3055_heic-L.jpg

I did something similar with fiberglass rod, but it doesn’t hold the blade firm. Plastic would “give” and hold the blade better!

38bill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did something similar with fiberglass rod, but it doesn’t hold the blade firm. Plastic would “give” and hold the blade better!

I use a wood dowel, cut a kerf in it for the blade and then hot melt glue it for support. The glue is easy to cut and peel off for a blade change.

stephen wyard

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a flipper but also use utility blades.Buy at home depot they have a strong back on them so you can hang on without the cuts.cheap also

GeoSquid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1600798462692.png

I used to use one just like this, but I found that with such a large thick blade, it would lose it's edge fairly quickly. I tried sharpening to no avail. Now, I use a long thin wooden dowel used for BBQ skewers with a slit in the end and a double sided razor blade in the slit tied with a rubber band. I've been using the same blade for 6 months and still super sharp.

1609965227432.png

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back