The best frag plugs for certain corals

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Joined
Dec 21, 2010
Messages
4,699
Reaction score
1,035
Location
North Kingstown, RI
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always found that certain plugs work for certain corals, for example, disks work for chalices and acans, and encrusitng corals alike. Plugs seem best for zoas and some softies, and cone shaped plugs seem best for branching sps and LPS. What do you guys like to use?
 
I like the small area cone shaped plugs for branching SPS. A larger plug gives algae, cyano, etc a chance to grow next to the tissue, which can severely slow down growth. A small plug allows the coral to quickly encrust over then edge, then focus on growing upwards.
 
I like liverock rubble! It's got a bit of weight so it dosn't get knocked around. Also you can trim it to desired specs!
 
I like tiles for zoas, chalices, favias....most everything except branching SPS. I have been reconsidering plugs for my zoa frags as they work well to stick them in the sandbed and let them grow.
 
Plugs for paly/zoa rock rubble for leathers and xenia, Disk for sps- I am learning though that a lot of corals well spread better and faster depending on the surface they are supplied with after fraging. I been eyeballing the cones but haven't found (made up a excuse) to use hem yet.
 
It entirely depends on where the frag is going... into the tank... plugs are nice.

Into a FRAG tank... discs/tiles ALL the way. Room for growth, whats the point of letting something grow onto the frag rack:squigglemouth:
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 12 26.7%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 16 35.6%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 5 11.1%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 2.2%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 6.7%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 5 11.1%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 6.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new