The best thing I did in 1yr reefing was switching to T5.

Nonya

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just read all the comments here, and I do want to say one thing. How many LED fixtures are for sale right now in the dry goods? I feel like it’s a hype. I feel like led fixtures are like iPhones now. The next generation comes out every year and people want the latest and greatest. I’m good with my g4 and t5 setup. And now a days you see lots of reefers come and go within 1-2 years.
It's that way with any hobby (and non-hobbies). There will always be people who believe the latest and greatest is either better, or is some kind of status symbol. As far as getting out of the hobby, it seems most newbs are expecting instant gratification and/or are too lazy to do the research and use a little patience. I loved all of the BRS video series on planning, setup, and establishing a stable tank before adding livestock. Fenner's book came out years after I got started, so we were all pretty much self-taught back then.

Last edited:

Nonya

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
T5s are the easiest way to light a reef tank and have superb results!! Way better than any LED fixture for distribution and spectrum, showing amaing results!!! As I've always said... all T5 fixture is the way to go! When T5s share with any LEDs it will compromise it's great ability for that superb results! That makes a huge difference! All T5! ATI non dimmable! Cheers!
I've read a lot about T-5s. They're much better than boiling the water, for sure.

OP
OP
KonradTO

KonradTO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By the way, I had to break down my 32g and I am switching to a 20g (I will be moving house often for work and 20g is more manageable) . I got another ati sunpower 6x24w for 30€, since I was satisfied with the results with the 6x39w. I sold most of my sps and will be keeping mainly softies and lps, with some easy sps like monti cap etc, which I hope will survive few house moves within a year. I think I will be running again only 4 out of 6 bulbs (tank is 15', 34cm high). Does that sound good? I will probably have to design properly the aquascape to create some shading for the acans

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By the way, I had to break down my 32g and I am switching to a 20g (I will be moving house often for work and 20g is more manageable) . I got another ati sunpower 6x24w for 30€, since I was satisfied with the results with the 6x39w. I sold most of my sps and will be keeping mainly softies and lps, with some easy sps like monti cap etc, which I hope will survive few house moves within a year. I think I will be running again only 4 out of 6 bulbs (tank is 15', 34cm high). Does that sound good? I will probably have to design properly the aquascape to create some shading for the acans
I don't see how a 20 gallon could be "more manageable" than a 32 gallon, but that's your choice. I personally always find a bigger tank to be way much easier to maintain than a smaller tank.
Cover the whole surface area with the T5s and don't be afraid cause they are very forgiven. Go through the initial phase of the system as always with caution adapting the organisms slowly, and get them used to the new tank because of the nutrient pool. I've had zoanthids touching the water surface in a well established system under a 6 and under an 8 bulb ATI fixture without any problems. It will be easier than you think. It's the easiest way too plan and light any tank IME.

OP
OP
KonradTO

KonradTO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see how a 20 gallon could be "more manageable" than a 32 gallon, but that's your choice. I personally always find a bigger tank to be way much easier to maintain than a smaller tank.
Well it is more about space in the car. I will have the essential stuff moving with me in the car and a smaller tank which does not steal space from my wife's clothes it's a reasonable compromise for now :) also I like the new tank much more, I have a fluval flex now and the front bow glass it's annoying.
I will probably make a 10g sump to increase the system volume at some point
Cover the whole surface area with the T5s and don't be afraid cause they are very forgiven. Go through the initial phase of the system as always with caution adapting the organisms slowly, and get them used to the new tank because of the nutrient pool. I've had zoanthids touching the water surface in a well established system under a 6 and under an 8 bulb ATI fixture without any problems. It will be easier than you think. It's the easiest way too plan and light any tank IME.
Yeah that sounds good! When I switched from led to t5 the first time I was amazed how all the corals responded well without skipping a bit despite I did switch without gradually increasing the tubes, but I did not have any Acans by then. I had the impression that people would keep them under 50-80 Par usually, and with 4 bulbs I will probably have like 150-200 PAR. But I will simply start from a shaded area and slowly move them where I want and look for PE

OP
OP
KonradTO

KonradTO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
T5 alone tanks just look so flat to me, personally.
Yeah I have also a kessil so I know what you mean. In my case I am not really interested in the look on its own but I want corals to grow and thrive without having to question my setting. T5 gives you exactly that. You are sure that you get enough light no shading no issues and the spectrum is the one your corals need. If I will have the occasion to do so, I am planning to add some led strips in the ati fixture. But good leds are expensive so for now I will give up on this. I am already looking into other diy projects right now, but a cree led strip should not be too difficult to put together

Lebowski_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I have also a kessil so I know what you mean. In my case I am not really interested in the look on its own but I want corals to grow and thrive without having to question my setting. T5 gives you exactly that. You are sure that you get enough light no shading no issues and the spectrum is the one your corals need. If I will have the occasion to do so, I am planning to add some led strips in the ati fixture. But good leds are expensive so for now I will give up on this. I am already looking into other diy projects right now, but a cree led strip should not be too difficult to put together
I respect that. I only run a 25 lagoon these days. I’ve got 2 primes over it but I’m going to add a T5HO strip to deal with shadowing. I love the combination of both. Halides look best but just way too energy inefficient and hot, I’ll never go back.

Anyone remember the power compact craze? I’m glad that died out.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I respect that. I only run a 25 lagoon these days. I’ve got 2 primes over it but I’m going to add a T5HO strip to deal with shadowing. I love the combination of both. Halides look best but just way too energy inefficient and hot, I’ll never go back.

Anyone remember the power compact craze? I’m glad that died out.
I had pc over an old frag tank .
It was a combination of pc and led moon lights
Looked ok but couldn’t keep corals

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 97 44.3%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 73 33.3%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 35 16.0%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 5.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back