THE BEST WAY to implement a CO2 scrubber!

Lucidbeam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A motorized valve is such a great idea. I found this one on amazon (uses a 12v battery) and, if i understand correctly, should be able to connect it to the Apex breakout box. Looking forward to setting all this stuff up.

bbPCeqk.jpg
The "Motorized Ball Valve- 1/2" Stainless Steel Ball Valve with Full Port, 9-24V DC and 2 Wire Reverse Polarity by U.S. Solid" is not the correct device. Unless you have a device that is able to reverse polarity.

The correct one is "Motorized Ball Valve- 1/2" Stainless Steel Ball Valve with Full Port, 9-24V AC/DC and 2 Wire Auto Return Setup by U.S. Solid". This one will open when power is applied and close when power is off.

smartwater101

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The "Motorized Ball Valve- 1/2" Stainless Steel Ball Valve with Full Port, 9-24V DC and 2 Wire Reverse Polarity by U.S. Solid" is not the correct device. Unless you have a device that is able to reverse polarity.

The correct one is "Motorized Ball Valve- 1/2" Stainless Steel Ball Valve with Full Port, 9-24V AC/DC and 2 Wire Auto Return Setup by U.S. Solid". This one will open when power is applied and close when power is off.

Thanks, I kept forgetting to update that post in case someone stumbled onto the thread from google.

Xclusive Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey so i have a few questions. i have a jbj all in one and i am looking to raise PH but don't have too much room to play with. does Soda lime change color? how long does it usually last and how you know when it is time to replace it? I see some people connect a water container to the scrubber someone care to explain and show some pics of setups? so does air get pulled from the water container into the scrubber then into the skimmer?

Lucidbeam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey so i have a few questions. i have a jbj all in one and i am looking to raise PH but don't have too much room to play with. does Soda lime change color? how long does it usually last and how you know when it is time to replace it? I see some people connect a water container to the scrubber someone care to explain and show some pics of setups? so does air get pulled from the water container into the scrubber then into the skimmer?

My build has how I did my CO2 Scrubber with pics.

Kyuss414

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up a 45lb jug of soda lime from an online dive shop a few years ago for $120 shipped, still have about 1/3rd of it left.

I also run the water reservoir method and tossed in a small fish tank heater I had laying around, now it'll get condensate on the inside above the water line and I can stretch my media out a month. I'm fine with that as I just swap it out when I do my monthly tank maintenance.

I only run it in the winter though (windows are open all summer, I rarely run AC) so it's all stashed away right now so I got no pics.

Xclusive Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up a 45lb jug of soda lime from an online dive shop a few years ago for $120 shipped, still have about 1/3rd of it left.

I also run the water reservoir method and tossed in a small fish tank heater I had laying around, now it'll get condensate on the inside above the water line and I can stretch my media out a month. I'm fine with that as I just swap it out when I do my monthly tank maintenance.

I only run it in the winter though (windows are open all summer, I rarely run AC) so it's all stashed away right now so I got no pics.
few years ago? don't you usually replace media every 2-3 weeks? surprised it lasted so long and did not dry out. so you have a water container before the co2 scrubber ?so it is something like water container - co2 scrubber - skimmer ?

Kyuss414

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
few years ago? don't you usually replace media every 2-3 weeks? surprised it lasted so long and did not dry out. so you have a water container before the co2 scrubber ?so it is something like water container - co2 scrubber - skimmer ?
Yeah I stretch it out for a month, and I only use it about half the year or so (WI winters can be long.) It does taper off a bit towards the end of the month, but I'm happy with it keeping PH between 8.4-8.1, which is typically what I see during the winter. I just keep softies & LPS so I don't chase a number too much. The media still worked great last winter, I'll see in another month or two. I checked and this will be year three on that same jug of media.

And yup, just an old BRS GFO container, poked some holes in the lid, put in a push connect bulkhead and have an acrylic tube on the inside run down a couple inches so it doesn't just suck in fresh air from the vent. Tossed in a small/short fish tank heater to keep humidity up in the container. Then 3/8" line to the media reactor, then just the factory air line tubing on the skimmer run from the media reactor straight to the venturi. I just pop it off the bottom of the silencer and run it to the reactor when I set it up for the winter - no need for the silencer with it pulling thru the media.

Oldreefer44

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plumbed a CO2 scrubber into my Life Reef using an airline to the outside of the house. Eventually it plugged up the venture. Consulted with Life Reef after all attempts at cleaning it failed and ended up buying a new venture assembly for $35. LR was very helpful. Realized that if I already had an airline to th4e outside I might as well just pump fresh air directly into the water. Have been doing so for 2 years and it has solved my low PH issues year round.

Whasmack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tapped the top of my MRC Orca pro 2 skimmer lid - and I always had issues the c02 scrubber sucking up foam.
So I made a top that sits on top of my skimmer lid, both skimmer pumps draw air from it, only 1 is scrubbed.

IMG_20190902_113045.jpg

Michael Hull

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went ahead and installed a C02 scrubber. First half of the chart is the intake being in the sump area, you can see the media started to dry out (wasn't diligent about keeping moisture in bottom of reactor) so the pH steadily dropped and kept cycling but was incrementally dropping. Went ahead and hooked up the intake to the top of the cup of my RSK900 Red Sea skimmer, and now you can see it recovered back up to the 8.2s and I'm thinking the dips will be much less significant or severe now. Curious though, what would you all recommend as the best way to cut off the flow if the cup fills to the brim to avoid pulling skimmate into the c02 scrubber?
Screen Shot 2019-09-27 at 10.33.43 AM.png

Michael Hull

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh that's cool! Any thoughts on something that would work with APEX? I suppose not necesarry.

ClearLife

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I experimented with putting a CO2 scrubber between the collection cup and venturi. As I predicted, this created a slight vacuum in this sealed, closed system and that vacuum interfered with the proper operation of the skimmer. How come nobody has said anything about this?

Michael Hull

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I had my first hiccup with the recirc prior to my total fix. I programmed the APEX so if pH spikes over 8.4, it will shut the skimmer down, and whattdya know, before I was able to install the float switch in my skimmer cup, the cup fills and a small amount of water flows through scrubber media and spikes pH. Luckily, the skimmer immediately shut down (and the spike was more like a climb from 8.3ish to 8.46 (so....) now I have apex pH level alarm shutdown, and float switch shutdown (first). Have a look at my results post c02 scrubber.

Screen Shot 2019-10-07 at 12.42.49 PM.png

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back