THE BEST WAY to implement a CO2 scrubber!

Velcro

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What this thread has: A way to implement a CO2 scrubber into your system in the most efficient way possible.

What this thread doesn’t have: Pictures of a clean skimmer. :D

I finally had a chance to shoot some pictures of my skimmer/CO2 scrubber setup, since I had the system out of my sump for some maintenance.

With the rise in popularity of CO2 scrubbers seemingly growing by the day, I decided to make a write up of what I think is the best way to implement these devices. While the reactors are very effective at removing CO2 from the air that passes through them, there are a few considerations that have a heavy influence on how quickly the media is depleted.

Firstly, the media must be protected from drying out. When the media dries out, it is no longer capable of neutralizing CO2. Secondly, the concentration of CO2 entering the scrubber has a huge effect on how long it will be able to function before needing to be replenished.

Protecting the media from drying out traditionally was done by adding a tablespoon or so of water to the bottom of the reactor. The idea is that this water would keep the flow of air relatively humid prior to hitting the media, which would prolong its life. In my experience, this was short lived. The water that was added to the reactor would be quickly depleted and the media would dry out. This is not a huge deal if you are okay with adding new water to the reactor every few days, but this wasn’t really an option for me.

To my knowledge, the only solution for reducing the amount of CO2 pulled into the reactor was to plumb the intake to the outdoor air. The amount of CO2 in the air outside the home should be pretty low to begin with, so it’s questionable as to how much benefit there really even is to have a CO2 scrubber before the skimmer intake in a situation where you are able to easily plumb the intake to the outdoors. The problem specifically for me with plumbing an intake outside is that I have neighbors living relatively closely to my home and I know they use a fair amount of chemicals for insects and grass. I’m not interested in chancing an air intake in that environment

The good news is, I have a solution for both of these issues. Lifereef skimmers are especially great candidates for this implementation because of the way their venture is plumbed. A major downfall to older style pump-drive venturis such as the lifereef is that if it is fed dry air, there is a very probable chance that the venturi will clog with salt creep. Lifereef solves this issue by being plumbed so that the venture pulls air from the skimmer cup. The skimmer cup is humid by nature, so it only makes sense to pull air from this source to keep the venture intake air moist, thus preventing the salt creep clogging. What is great about this relating to a CO2 scrubber is that you can place it inline between the skimmer cup and the venture so that it is fed nothing but humid air. This has completely prevented premature drying of the CO2 media, with significantly prolongs it’s lifespan.

The other major benefit to placing the reactor inline between the skimmer cup and the venturi is that you are basically recycling the air inside the skimmer. This means that the amount of CO2 being introduced to the media will be quite low compared to room air. The setup is extremely efficient as far a longevity of the media is concerned.

Now for the pictures! This is my setup… very simple. A single BRS media reactor filled with soda lime from shopvetmed.com (the best price I can find). Airflow travels from the skimmer cup, through the media reactor and into the venture. Doesn’t get much more simple that that .

This works great with a lifereef skimmer because they require a large pump to begin with, so there is no worries about bogging things down as far as air intake is concerned. I do understand that other skimmers are not set up with this type of plumbing from the skimmer cup, but I have heard of people drilling their cups and adding a hose barb in a similar fashion. I don’t think that air constriction will be a concern with most skimmers since the media isn’t densely packed, and allows for a pretty easy airflow through it.

I hope that this helps you all with implementation of a CO2 scrubber in your aquarium!

bc-46.jpg
bc-47.jpg

Crashjack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope, never. I have never had the water level in the skimmer cup go higher than where the foam enters the cup.

I'm looking at doing this exact setup with my Lifereef skimmer. However, I have had a few overflows inside the cup that would have sent skimmate to the reactor and then to the Venturi. Not only would this create a big mess, but I don't know if the soda ash might be harmful to the tank if the overflow went outside the cup.

OP
OP
Velcro

Velcro

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking at doing this exact setup with my Lifereef skimmer. However, I have had a few overflows inside the cup that would have sent skimmate to the reactor and then to the Venturi. Not only would this create a big mess, but I don't know if the soda ash might be harmful to the tank if the overflow went outside the cup.
You'd probably want to add a skimmate collector with a float switch to turn the skimmer off if it fills, or just put a float switch int the cup.

Crashjack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'd probably want to add a skimmate collector with a float switch to turn the skimmer off if it fills, or just put a float switch int the cup.

That would work but would take away from the simplicity. Also, Jeff at Lifereef doesn't recommend using a collector, but I don't remember why. I believe the two contributing factors to my overflows were: 1) sump level changing, and 2) running too wet. Both of these issues have been corrected. However, I have noticed when running dryer, a light thin foam fills the cup up to the lid, instead of spilling over the sides of the cup opening like wetter thicker foam. I don't think this would cause a problem as the foam is very thin and light, but I don't really know for sure.

Ty Hamatake

Hi, my name is Ty and I'm a Reefer...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oddly enough I was sitting in front on my tank last night and I found myself trying to work through this problem, and I think I figured something out. What if you were to add an "emergency collection cup" between the skimmer and the scrubber? I use a mason jar as the humidifier for my scrubber and it would be along the same lines. All you would need to do is, take the line running from the skimmer, cut it in half (or wherever you wanted to place the container), get a sealed container and cut two holes in the lid, insert the tubing from the skimmer into one hole (maybe inserting it all the way to the bottom will help prevent foam from transferring from one opening to the other), then insert the scrubber's tubing into the other hole. Now if the skimmer's collection cup does overflow, it'll go into the container and at least give you some time to notice what's going on before it gets into the scrubber. Lol if this doesn't make sense and you're interested I'll try my hardest to draw a picture.

Crashjack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oddly enough I was sitting in front on my tank last night and I found myself trying to work through this problem, and I think I figured something out. What if you were to add an "emergency collection cup" between the skimmer and the scrubber? I use a mason jar as the humidifier for my scrubber and it would be along the same lines. All you would need to do is, take the line running from the skimmer, cut it in half (or wherever you wanted to place the container), get a sealed container and cut two holes in the lid, insert the tubing from the skimmer into one hole (maybe inserting it all the way to the bottom will help prevent foam from transferring from one opening to the other), then insert the scrubber's tubing into the other hole. Now if the skimmer's collection cup does overflow, it'll go into the container and at least give you some time to notice what's going on before it gets into the scrubber. Lol if this doesn't make sense and you're interested I'll try my hardest to draw a picture.

Good stuff! I think I understand but not sure it would do anything but fill-up and then go to the scrubber, but like you say, it might buy enough time. You could also keep some water in the jar to help with moisture. Keeping water in an external jar might work great for someone who doesn't have a connection to their skimmer cup.

XNavyDiver

Insightful answer loading... please wait.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hooked up my co2 scrubber in this EXACT way a few months back, and yes, the absorbent media was lasting up to 3 weeks before turning all purple. I have a RO 3000sss skimmer and I had to drill out one of the holes on top of the collection cup lid and siliconed in a nylon barb fitting. The only problem is that the scrubber worked TOO well. My pH would climb to 8.6-8.7 most of the time. I unhooked it a few weeks ago, and weirdly enough, my pH now hangs pretty stable at around 8.0-8.1. The reason I installed it in the first place was because my pH was staying in the 7.6-7.9 range all the time. I think if I ever needed it again in the future, I'm gonna install a solenoid valve hooked into the apex to open and close the intake from the scrubber based off the pH probe readings, that way it wont climb too high or dip too low.

CoralNerd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I hooked up my co2 scrubber in this EXACT way a few months back, and yes, the absorbent media was lasting up to 3 weeks before turning all purple. I have a RO 3000sss skimmer and I had to drill out one of the holes on top of the collection cup lid and siliconed in a nylon barb fitting. The only problem is that the scrubber worked TOO well. My pH would climb to 8.6-8.7 most of the time. I unhooked it a few weeks ago, and weirdly enough, my pH now hangs pretty stable at around 8.0-8.1. The reason I installed it in the first place was because my pH was staying in the 7.6-7.9 range all the time. I think if I ever needed it again in the future, I'm gonna install a solenoid valve hooked into the apex to open and close the intake from the scrubber based off the pH probe readings, that way it wont climb too high or dip too low.
Ideally you would have 2 solenoids. One always open on the scrubber side and another always closed that pulls normal air.
PH gets to high, the open solenoid closes, and the closed solenoid opens.
I'm just waiting for my solenoids to come in the mail, then I'll set mine up.

Crashjack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It totally does!

20171018_124532.jpg

An Idea... what if you added kalk to the jar of water and put an input tube running from outside the jar to under the surface of the now kalk water? The tube running to the scrubber would obviously have to be above the water line. It seems to me that would force air through the kalk, which would have to reduce the CO2 making your scrubber media work a lot less hard.

Ty Hamatake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An Idea... what if you added kalk to the jar of water and put an input tube running from outside the jar to under the surface of the now kalk water? The tube running to the scrubber would obviously have to be above the water line. It seems to me that would force air through the kalk, which would have to reduce the CO2 making your scrubber media work a lot less hard.
I tried something similar (just water, no kalk) to increase the evaporation rate, but it is louder than all get out. Easily louder than the rest of the tank combined!

EDIT: if it was in a separate room though... Lol I may have to experiment with that.

Crashjack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Odd it would be that loud especially if the tube coming into the jar was below the water's surface. Maybe try a larger diameter tube coming into the jar. That would allow more air to enter the jar and should create less resistance.

Ty Hamatake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Odd it would be that loud especially if the tube coming into the jar was below the water's surface. Maybe try a larger diameter tube coming into the jar. That would allow more air to enter the jar and should create less resistance.
It's the bubbling fluid that makes all the noise, lol surprisingly loud in a confined space.

spacetime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I just got the info from Jeff at Lifereef as well. Can't wait to see if this has been the thorn in my reef's side.

Back