The best way to use a doser for 2 part

Snuggs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Santa brought me a spiffy new doser because I was very good this year. Is it best to dose 2 part over 24 hours or just when lights are on?

Do corals use the calcium and alk when the lights are on or 24/7

Last edited:

RobZilla04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on the total volume to be dosed. Some folks who dose a large volume will spread that over the dark hours to avoid huge doses all at once while others only dose while the lights are on. I manage to keep all doses over the light period which is just about 10 hours. Really doesn't make a difference overall.

OP
OP
Snuggs

Snuggs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on the total volume to be dosed. Some folks who dose a large volume will spread that over the dark hours to avoid huge doses all at once while others only dose while the lights are on. I manage to keep all doses over the light period which is just about 10 hours. Really doesn't make a difference overall.
Thank you. I use 2 part because this is a small tank. Reefer 170. 13 mls total for each of my 2 part. Will change to a lights on schedule.

RobZilla04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. I use 2 part because this is a small tank. Reefer 170. 13 mls total for each of my 2 part. Will change to a lights on schedule.

Probably a good idea since the Alkalinity will decrease pH, which is already lower at night. I dose P1 30 min apart from P2. You'll be fine to spread 13ml over the light period into doses as small as the math will allow. Two to three ml at a time is pretty reasonable though.

afartindolphin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably a good idea since the Alkalinity will decrease pH, which is already lower at night. I dose P1 30 min apart from P2. You'll be fine to spread 13ml over the light period into doses as small as the math will allow. Two to three ml at a time is pretty reasonable though.

What two part are you using? Most alkalinity supplements boost pH, some more than others.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just devide the clock into 24hrs.
All on the hour , cal on the half hour.
First dose 1hr before lights on.

Split the the dose equally on The clock.
As use increases add one or two mil to each point.

Yes. Coral use more alk when the lights are on.

bo0sted2g

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive been debating this aswell. I just got my doser hooked up this past weekend. I am currently doing one 30ml dose each per day but now I am thinking maybe 3x 10ml doses may be better...

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 76 35.2%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 58 26.9%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 67 31.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.7%
Back