The Bowser Paly

Invert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very few people have them as they are a truley slow grower and HATE to be fragged.
For those of you that have these,
Are you having problems with polyps after fragging ?

Great looking Paly,
I may have to dig a little deeper in my pockets,
A get a Polyp or two.

stryker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw some of these at the October, 2010 RAP at Dream corals and was not very impressed. Perhaps the polyps were not healthy, but the colors were drab and polyps were average in size. Vendor said they had been fragged a while already so that ruled out fragging stress.

firereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw some of these at the October, 2010 RAP at Dream corals and was not very impressed. Perhaps the polyps were not healthy, but the colors were drab and polyps were average in size. Vendor said they had been fragged a while already so that ruled out fragging stress.

+1. his frags looked fresh and I didn't know what a bowser was and the $200 sign didn't help it either.

ladyreefer1983

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what do u guys think about this?
DSC06855-1.jpg

DSC06404.jpg

NanoNano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Dirt!

Those that don't have .... complain ! !

1 candy apple will be 20-25 polyps in 6 months.
1 bowser will be 2-3 polyps in 1yr.
That's why the price is more.

That's just another reason to get the CAR's instead.

I

inactive

View Badges
I love it when they say a coral hates to be fragged.... What exactly does it hate about it? Could it be the fact people are trying to cut a baby polyp off one palythoa? Could it be poor propagation methods all around? I also love when people say.. "They love to melt" Hm.. interesting they just commit suicide, usually something eating them.

5 color rainbow > bowser paly for sure.

drainbamage

Extreme Whippersnapper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love it when they say a coral hates to be fragged.... What exactly does it hate about it? Could it be the fact people are trying to cut a baby polyp off one palythoa? Could it be poor propagation methods all around? I also love when people say.. "They love to melt" Hm.. interesting they just commit suicide, usually something eating them.

Certain zoas are simply more susceptible to frag-melting, Rastas are notorious for this no matter the colony size you're fragging from. And many zoas do melt when distressed, some are hardier than others. Sure if someone uses a blade covered in rust that you have to hack at the zoa with you're more likely to lose some, but there is a wide variety of toughness amongst the zoas.
glad you have a preferance, personally id rather have both =)

jaypainter24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
always haters out there.

TangGroomer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Certain zoas are simply more susceptible to frag-melting, Rastas are notorious for this no matter the colony size you're fragging from. And many zoas do melt when distressed, some are hardier than others. Sure if someone uses a blade covered in rust that you have to hack at the zoa with you're more likely to lose some, but there is a wide variety of toughness amongst the zoas.
I agree.

I

inactive

View Badges

Sounds like variables that would fall under the category of poor propagation methods.

As far as being a hater, I disagree... I am simple stating facts. I have never cut a polyp of a healthy, larger "colony," and had melting issues.

drainbamage

Extreme Whippersnapper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like variables that would fall under the category of poor propagation methods.

As far as being a hater, I disagree... I am simple stating facts. I have never cut a polyp of a healthy, larger "colony," and had melting issues.

You'd state that Rastas being susceptable to melting after fragging even under the most ideal fragging situations as a variable that falls under poor propagation methods? Really? I mean....really??
You've never cut a colony and lost even 1 polyp? Never even one under an un-ideal fragging situation where polyps were entwined? Really? Really??

I'm going to go with you just hating as the far more reasonable explination. Considering how often you bash stuff, only makes sense to add bowsers to the list :wink:

reefpeeper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i am sure if someone cut one of our arms off and just threw us back on the floor we would have a hard chance at surviving. also im sure that alot of us have brought home nice size colonys and for no reason they just melt when all other zoa/paly are ok.

Sikryd

hmm...Sweet!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone tried to blast the CAR's with light to see if the bowsers are a CAR morph blasted with light?

I'm curious how they can be the same style as a CAR, yet it is "said" they only grow 1-2 polyps per year. That just seems out of sorts to me...
I have a feeling after they get out more, and the price drops, all of a sudden it will be found out that they grow like banshee's.

That has happened with more than one morph. Not to mention with the chalice hype you had guys blasting things with light and then calling it some new name to cash in.

I'm not saying that is what is happening. It just seems like everything in this hobby is related to money nowadays...

I love the CAR's. They are definitely have awesome color to them. I'm sure the bower's do too.

Last edited:

KLR

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just moved my 5 polyp frag of car's to the top of the rocks in my tank, under 6 t5 bulbs..not blastign with light,but a little more than some of my palys have

drainbamage

Extreme Whippersnapper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my CAR's sit under a 4 bulb teklight, maybe <2" below water surface, light's about 5" above. So far they look like CAR's....

Another thing to consider with the lighting-typically when you give a Zoa more light, you'll get more polyps. The trade-off is usually the polyps retract to a smaller size. If Bowsers were just high light CARs, most likely you'd get pleanty of new pups, just not much size. The side-by-sides I've seen have not supported that. Plus when seen in person, especially side-by-sides, it's a very simple to see difference. Don't get me wrong, I like CARs and think they're a very nice polyp, Bowsers are just that extra bit nicer.

And of course as more people get them and the colonies grow the price will come down, it's just a matter of where it stabilizes at. Right now it's in the $200+ zone, once enough get out there I'm wagering it'll drop to the $80s give or take, with a large part depending on how well they frag. Rastas are a great example of a fast growing polyp that still demands a high price owing to the problems in fragging it. With Bowsers being a slow grower AND not liking fragging, it's likely to be a somewhat limited supply for quite awhile.

Sikryd

hmm...Sweet!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, they grow one-two polyps a year AND don't like to be fragged. Next its going to be they don't like being sold for less than $200 either or else they melt. :angel:

hehehehee

Just having a little fun. You have to admit that is pretty funny :tongue:

firereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, they grow one-two polyps a year AND don't like to be fragged. Next its going to be they don't like being sold for less than $200 either or else they melt. :angel:

hehehehee

Just having a little fun. You have to admit that is pretty funny :tongue:

That's not funny.

That's hilarious!!! lol!

I actually have some eagle eyes that don't like to be sold under $200 but since I'm in a good mood... Ill let a few go tonight for $95pp.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back