OP
OP
Brandon Rutherford

Brandon Rutherford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone at Reed Mariculture thanks the children for sending us these great art pieces.
Stratton Elementary Art Work.jpg

You're very welcome Chad! And say hi to Dr. Henry for me.

I have several more nice paintings that we'd love to give away to any interested R2R members.

Reef Nutrition

We Feed Your Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love to be on the list of recipients. Maybe we can use it as an example for a project for our kids. :)
Hi Denise! Chad here. I just got on R2R recently and it's great to see you in the forums. I look forward to seeing you and the group again at Aquatic Experience!

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We plan to be there again this year. Welcome. I have been on a while, but just recently started actually participating. :) Glad to see you on here too. Love what Brandon is doing there in IL. I wish I could get more schools here involved. Hope to fix some of that this spring. :)

NBcoralreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few days ago I saw my cleaner shrimp shed its outer covering. So when I read more about it, I learned that as the shrimp grows, it undergoes molting. This is when the shrimp has already grown it's new shell and is ready to shed the old covering known as exoskeleton. :)
image.jpeg

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My crabs regularly make me panic that they died because they do this too. Only it is even more difficult to tell it is a shed. Just know by seeing it later healthy and happy. :)

Cool stuff you learn about these creatures. Keep on learning!

Gomery12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few days ago I saw my cleaner shrimp shed its outer covering. So when I read more about it, I learned that as the shrimp grows, it undergoes molting. This is when the shrimp has already grown it's new shell and is ready to shed the old covering known as exoskeleton. :)
image.jpeg

That's one of the neatest things that you get to see in our reefs! Freaks you out at first because you think your shrimp is dead when you see the shell floating around but then you see it and it's bigger and colors are probably more vibrant. Like a reptiles cycle where they shed their skin every so often! It's a cool thing to see!

NBcoralreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's one of the neatest things that you get to see in our reefs! Freaks you out at first because you think your shrimp is dead when you see the shell floating around but then you see it and it's bigger and colors are probably more vibrant. Like a reptiles cycle where they shed their skin every so often! It's a cool thing to see!
True! We thought our shrimp died but it was right there. :)
Can a snail just go into a different shell that is in the tank & leave the old one?

tj w

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love this thread. You guys rock! I have continuously shared this thread with other people. All of you have done a fantastic job this far.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Look at this beautiful artwork I received in the mail! Going to cherish them!

1.jpg

4.jpg

3.jpg

2.jpg

Gomery12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
R2R, you have to make a visit to Stratton! Brandon's kids are phenomenal! They know more about fish biology, reef keeping, etc, at their age than many who try to start a reef just because it looks cool! You can see the passion in his students when they give you a tour of the tanks! They really know their stuff!

OP
OP
Brandon Rutherford

Brandon Rutherford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpeg

I agree that it's a little startling when you first come across an exoskeleton.

In an unrelated story, our largest chocolate chip starfish recently killed and ate three smaller starfish. My fault for telling the crew to feed it as much as it needs. The dead starfish looked exactly like a cast off exoskeleton but when I touched them, they melted into goo. Apparently the biggest one covered the others in some kind of digestive enzyme, liquified and ate parts of the smaller starfish and then left the rest. It was pretty gross.

Anyhow...I'm always amazed that shrimp can shed the outer layer of their long antenna without breaking it. It must feel really weird to split out of your own skin. I know snakes get grumpy and aggressive when they molt. Wonder if shrimp do too?

OP
OP
Brandon Rutherford

Brandon Rutherford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
R2R, you have to make a visit to Stratton! Brandon's kids are phenomenal! They know more about fish biology, reef keeping, etc, at their age than many who try to start a reef just because it looks cool! You can see the passion in his students when they give you a tour of the tanks! They really know their stuff!

Aww thanks dude! We enjoyed hanging out with you and your daughter.

6b38390ed245e20d07aa0ce114a84e8e.jpg

You (and other visitors) are always welcome. Come back later and take home a pair of the clownfish after they've grown out a bit. They're starting to look pretty cute and now that they're big enough to not be killed by a filter, the water quality in the tank has stabilized. I'm optimistic all the rest will survive.

7afb54116d5e8cc69a734a1067dd195f.jpg
ebcd0f41110f9e300bcf38e884422fb1.jpg

Gomery12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those saddlebacks are looking good! I showed Ella the eggs we saw, that they hatched, well me might need to make another visit! She was saying they are "so cute". How many did you end up with? Like I have said if anyone is in the Champaign, Il area, reach out to Brandon and see what's going on at Stratton! If I was in 3rd grade, I'd be begging to be in his class!

Last edited:

Neptune1707

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is just so awesome!!!! I grew up in Springfield, IL not for from Champaign...so glad to see a program like this downstate! One would think you would only see a program like this at private/Chicago school. Keep up the great work!!!!!!

fishtal9

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's great to see how well this project is going. Keep up the excellent work! :D

OP
OP
Brandon Rutherford

Brandon Rutherford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's great to see how well this project is going. Keep up the excellent work! :D

Thanks Tal,

I was just reading up on fish propagation on your excellent website. My students and I are excited about exploring this side of our hobby. I hope we can pick your brain a bit when we start doing this regularly :)

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 38 36.9%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 55 53.4%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 5 4.9%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 4 3.9%
Back