The Coral Reef Project At Stratton Elementary School

bdottington

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this is an awesome program you're running! I had several teachers through middle and high school that really fostered my interest in aquatics. I attribute,in part, my favorite hobbies as an adult to starting in their classrooms. Keep up the the great work, and I'm sure your students will remember this as fondly as I remember everything I learned from the great teachers I had that you remind me of.

BTW, all of you have some gorgeous tanks. Keep up the great work!!

NBcoralreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Nipun
Hi Nipun
Hi Ms.Cass,
Today at school I did a few water tests for the water from my tank at home. The results were great.The ammonia is very low, the nitrite is getting high,the nitrate is pretty good, and pH level is ok. I was working on these tests with my friend Swapnil.:cool:;) Mr.Rutherford said that I will be ready to have fish in my tank soon.:):D

OP
OP
Brandon Rutherford

Brandon Rutherford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Ms.Cass,
Today at school I did a few water tests for the water from my tank at home. The results were great.The ammonia is very low, the nitrite is getting high,the nitrate is pretty good, and pH level is ok. I was working on these tests with my friend Swapnil.:cool:;) Mr.Rutherford said that I will be ready to have fish in my tank soon.:):D

Your science power is strong young one, but you should probably quantify your test values with a numerical value. 'Pretty good' isn't a very accurate way to communicate your results.

OP
OP
Brandon Rutherford

Brandon Rutherford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought you couldn't drill tempered?

Got one hole done free hand. Two more to go.
47acbf2d1d4cb3ad8694fd736b1c4499.jpg

OP
OP
Brandon Rutherford

Brandon Rutherford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I've drilled tempered glass multiple times, though as you saw, sometimes it doesn't work. It's still glass, just has pre manufactured stress points. If you exert minimal pressure when grinding it will eventually cut through without shattering.
debd19cb27877f7c08c0f971443012f8.jpg
f5a4ef0a3f792e4f9dfd13e243f490d2.jpg

chickofthesea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Ms.Cass,
cool beans! I'm excited for you. Do you know what kind fish you are going to put in yet? I'm sure it's a hard choice.

chickofthesea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm really happy that I have the resources to use this salt. I used to use a more common and cheaper brand and ultimately had to spend additional time and money to supplement calcium and trace elements to get the kind of coral growth I wanted. Now I can maintain calcium and alkalinity balance in my tanks with a lot of LSP corals without using 2 part or kalk dosing.

I always order salt online and if you buy in larger quantities, the lower price online (vs a dealer's store) makes up for shipping costs. This said, here's a link to the Tropic Marin dealer map. I also encourage you to email Lou Eckus, the US rep. He's a super nice dude and would be able answer any question you have.
I ordered salt on line. I actually qualified for free shipping. Thanks for the advice. I dose Kalk now. hoping to do away with that after changing brands. I'm a fan of the keep it simple club.

NBcoralreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cool beans! I'm excited for you. Do you know what kind fish you are going to put in yet? I'm sure it's a hard choice.

Hi,
I think I'm going to put a firefish, 2 clownfish,shrimp,snails,and crabs. I am very excited my tank is almost fully cycled! Thankyou so much.

NBcoralreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I try to setup my managers and other students who show continued interest and responsibility with tanks at home. Nipun is already a dedicated reefer and for his birthday last month I setup a 10 gallon marine tank at his house. He's still cycling his tank with fish food and trying to pick what goes in it. I'm sure he would be happy to take suggestions.

4138144_orig.jpg

1027870_orig.jpg

Special thanks to Robin Knapp for donating the tank, rocks and filter.
Mr. Rutherford, my teacher is the one who introduced this project to our school. He made my birthday special.In addition to his guidance,I intend to expand my knowledge about this hobby with help of the experienced members here at reef2reef.Learning about coral reef is awesome.

Hello r2r,
I had a question about my live rock. What is that white stuff on the rock?o_O And why is the rock turning all kinds of colors?
image.jpeg

chickofthesea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really love fire fish too. Sounds like a plan. Yesterday durring a water change I accidently caught 3 mysis shrimp. I did not put any in though. Be ready to spot all the creatures even the the tiny ones lol

chickofthesea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello r2r,
I had a question about my live rock. What is that white stuff on the rock?o_O And why is the rock turning all kinds of colors?
image.jpeg
It looks like diatoms. That is just part of the cycle process. what is the temperture you have set? It should run it's course then die out when all it's food source runs out. Keep up the great observations.

NBcoralreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like diatoms. That is just part of the cycle process. what is the temperture you have set? It should run it's course then die out when all it's food source runs out. Keep up the great observations.
72.6 F but it becomes warmer if the temprature outside is warm.

120reefkeeper

Reef keeping with Military Precision!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Worth a study for your students....

This is just a short link to a very large and interesting subject. This was a noble prize winner . They are trying to use this fluorescence to map the human brain. They have already used it for cancer and for HIV.

7hogwarts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello r2r,
image.jpeg
I think the white stuff on the rocks might be a precipitate from the rocks or perhaps if something got added to the tank and wasn't in solution.
All the different colors- Think about the plant life that is part of your ecosystem.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 48 55.2%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 26 29.9%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 8.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.4%
Back