The Damsel Question...

HWY61

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 75 gallon mixed reef that has been going strong for some time now. The problem is, I’m wanting to add more fish and damsels have recently caught my eye.

yeah...

Specifically, Rolland’s Damsels (I’ve read) are pretty tame and I like the way they look. I’ve also read the Azure Damsel can be successfully kept.

I currently have a pair of clowns and a pair of chromis, as well as a lawnmower blenny and shrimp/goby combo. The goby and blenny can hold their own but I’m worried the other fish will fight new arrivals, since they are also damsels.

Is there a way I can introduce a pair of damselfish successfully or should I give up with it? Are there alternatives?

bsr2430

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s my personal opinion about Damsels. Take it with a grain of salt too!

Don’t buy Damsels! They’re the worst fish.
They’re cheap for a reason.
I also think the more you have of them, the better they are to other fish. I also heard a few horror stories where every rock had to be taken out to catch these guys.
Just pass on this and get a much better fish!

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s my personal opinion about Damsels. Take it with a grain of salt too!

Don’t buy Damsels! They’re the worst fish.
They’re cheap for a reason.
I also think the more you have of them, the better they are to other fish. I also heard a few horror stories where every rock had to be taken out to catch these guys.
Just pass on this and get a much better fish!
swallow tail damsels aren't like other damsels. fairly laid back.

Alexopora

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 75 gallon mixed reef that has been going strong for some time now. The problem is, I’m wanting to add more fish and damsels have recently caught my eye.

yeah...

Specifically, Rolland’s Damsels (I’ve read) are pretty tame and I like the way they look. I’ve also read the Azure Damsel can be successfully kept.

I currently have a pair of clowns and a pair of chromis, as well as a lawnmower blenny and shrimp/goby combo. The goby and blenny can hold their own but I’m worried the other fish will fight new arrivals, since they are also damsels.

Is there a way I can introduce a pair of damselfish successfully or should I give up with it? Are there alternatives?
In my experience, damsels once they have settled will definitely be territorial. I think many can testify that adding damsels after you have added all your other desired fish is the best way to introduce damsels to your tank. Since you already have existing fish in your tank, you should be good.

I personally love damsels hence I would rather not introduce any other fish and just let the damsels be by themselves. Also, damsels are nimble and swift, so once you add them to your tank, forget about catching them. You would have to tear down your entire tank to catch them.

OP
OP
H

HWY61

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As @sp1187 said, having more will be much better!
I have heard that, like Chromis, in a general reef tank environment they’ll eventually whittle themselves down to 2-3. I’ve also read that I shouldn’t mix damsels, how true is this? Do I buy six fish, three pairs of three species, or six total of one species?

badonkadonk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I avoided damsels for years because of their bad (and deserved in some cases) reputations. But I started reading about peaceful species, and with some hesitation, decided to give the springerii, alleni (Neon), hemicyana (azure) and Ambon a try. All but the Ambon (which is a single - the others are pairs) are model citizens in my mixed reef. And they add great color and moderate movement. The neon is aptly named, a metallic blue. The Ambon is a brute, big and will chase, but not incessantly. Everyone seems to put up with him, but I would not recommend one (and the color isn't to write home about). But the others are highly recommended - and they are relatively inexpensive, long lived. I've also had chromis, but they disappear as many have noted (I never find a body!). Not worth going with chromis when these other damsels are available.

Crashjack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a mated pair of Azures, and they bother nothing. They will chase a fish away from where they have eggs laid, but it is just away from that immediate area, and it is a "bluff rush", meaning they don't actually touch the fish, they just quickly rush at it. It is also only the damsel protecting the eggs, and the other fish has to get very close.

Sailingeric

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 5 different dansels, no problems. A yellow tail, sapphire, azure, tracy, and 3 stripe as well as a pair of clowns and a chromis. I did have a jewel damsel, pretty but after a month it was a terror, gave it away

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fwiw, I got a yellow belly damsel to my 4 year 29g that already has 2 clowns, 1 gobie, and 1 black cap basslet.

I have a lot of rock work

It's been 2 months and he's behaving very nicely. I think being the smallest helped. The 2 clowns are 3+ inches, the black cap is close to 4, the gobie is almost 3. The damsel is 1.5

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gee .... I have 50-60 damsels in my tank. OK, its a big tank, but they haven't given me any trouble. Mostly they just bicker amongst themselves. People who don't know damsels will generalize that they are a problem because some genus are! Stay away from any in the Dascyllus genus and any with 'devil' in their name. Most of the chrysiptera genus are fine and many of the the pomacentrus are also, though they get bigger. The key is to provide them with enough space to establish their micro-territories and keep a small group to disperse any aggression. Any fish will bully if it can, so avoid really timid tankmates.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 135 87.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 10 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back