sawdonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day four

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1418298978.084550.jpg

You better wet down that skim if you want a full cup by Sunday! Nice dry skim though.

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 4. Anyone know how I can get a darker skim. Seems really light.

Attachments

• 20141211_111117.jpg
    20141211_111117.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 181

Reef Junky150

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try turning it back a smidge and watch after feeding see if it picks up a little over a period of time. Just have to find its sweet spot.

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ill do that thanks. Its kinda hard cuz my sump water level is always changing. I really need an ato.

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah. Just have really limited space. So I have to find a compact solution for my set up. Gotta get xmas done so I can spend money. Lol

OP
OP
afamousjohnson

afamousjohnson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 4 in the johnson household

Attachments

• 20141211_100557.jpg
    20141211_100557.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 180
OP
OP
afamousjohnson

afamousjohnson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its cool peeps are noticing the small differences that they miss by simpy changing your cup after x amount of days. I myself have noticed as well - Have been out of the tank for the last few months and just recently gottin back into it this week. I used some putty for coral placement around day 2 and noticed on day 3 I was already running wetter skim than usuall - hence I am guessing the putty caused my skimmer to run a bit high. I also noticed there is a slight slant on my skimmer due to how the skim is settling - and it is good to keep your skimmer level - so I will need to look into that after the weeks end.

Anyone else noticing any lil specifics as we progress thru this.

It would be cool for someone to run a test like this - for a week each set - between 1 week just letting the tank be with only feeding and see how the skimmer reacts and the skimmate product at the end. Than do the same for the next week but be all up in the tank. placing corals doing work etc(things that can both idle your skimmer or make it go nuts - usually bringing down finished quality. Than a side by side comparison could be made.
It would really only work on a tank that ran export media/equiptment that ran the same week to week like a skimmer an ats vs gfo that would be different from the 1st week to the 2nd.

OP
OP
afamousjohnson

afamousjohnson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its cool peeps are noticing the small differences that they miss by simpy changing your cup after x amount of days. I myself have noticed as well - Have been out of the tank for the last few months and just recently gottin back into it this week. I used some putty for coral placement around day 2 and noticed on day 3 I was already running wetter skim than usuall - hence I am guessing the putty caused my skimmer to run a bit high. I also noticed there is a slight slant on my skimmer due to how the skim is settling - and it is good to keep your skimmer level - so I will need to look into that after the weeks end.

It would be cool for someone to run a test like this - for a week each set - between 1 week just letting the tank be with only feeding and see how the skimmer reacts and the skimmate product at the end. Than do the same for the next week but be all up in the tank. placing corals doing work etc(things that can both idle your skimmer or make it go nuts - usually bringing down finished quality. Than a side by side comparison could be made).
It would really only work on a tank that ran export media/equiptment that ran the same week to week like a skimmer an ats vs gfo that would be different from the 1st week to the 2nd.

Browner20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg image.jpg day 4 at my place
tigerdragon this things are dialed in as well! Holy crap - pun intended.

What is the deal with the drainage tap on the first skimmer? Is it closed permanently, closed for this exercise, or does it have valve that you open to clean it? Looks like the rubber tubing in the pic just goes a couple inches the stops?

zesty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
KorD you talking about the gif?

Here's lunch time pic from today.
1211141216a.jpg

@afamousjohnson I've noticed that I was running dryer than I wanted after 2 days. It's true, had I not done played along, I would have left it at it's setting and thought nothing of it.

Reef Junky150

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It would be cool for someone to run a test like this - for a week each set - between 1 week just letting the tank be with only feeding and see how the skimmer reacts and the skimmate product at the end. Than do the same for the next week but be all up in the tank. placing corals doing work etc(things that can both idle your skimmer or make it go nuts - usually bringing down finished quality. Than a side by side comparison could be made).
I check over my system every night when I get home from work so usually no surprises over a week period. I'm curious if down the road my skimmer will slow back down like before I took it offline for such a long period of time.

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 3.5, and starting to build up that oh so lovely skimmate you could remove with a fork. And yes I have noticed the not quite level Skimmer position which I'll rectify with a new acrylic stand for the new Vertex Skimmer.

IMG_20141211_112541331.jpg

Cheers, Todd

P.S. The plumbing lines on right side is for a temporarily inline Frag Tank and plumbing on lower left is my Phosban 150 Reactor.

Last edited:

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back