Jisko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Current Build Phase: Planning

Intro:
So I've been in the hobby for going on 2 years now and by far my favorite part is the corals. Being in college has put my in a tight spot while trying to enjoy this hobby. I currently have a 29g display with a 20g sump setup at my house which my father looks after. He also has a 29g display with a 20g sump so we can each have our own fish and corals. The problem with this is my tank is starting to get crowded. The rock space in a 29g is not that much and I have to take in consideration that the corals are going to grow and fill in the gaps. So to counter this real-estate problem I've decided to build a frag tank in my dorm. I've spent the last 2 weeks planning the build and I'll spend another more or two continuing the planning stage. A lot has to be thought about before doing this build. I'm going to be making a list of everything needed and a check list of things I need to confirm before any buying is done. With that said I'll stop rambling and get into things.

Check List (what's needed before hand):
Figure out how much water I can have in my dorm room.
- Found out I can have a 30g tank and my sump does not count. Also the school has zero regulations on the amount a water a student can have in his or her room
What is my total budget.
- I'm aiming for around $500-600... yeah I know its a bit low budget ;)

[] How is maintenance going to be done over winter break which is a little over a month. This is a problem I'm trying to figure out because the college normally doesn't allow people to visit the campus during the break unless you're living on campus for the break. Because of this I might be looking into winter classes so i'll be allowed to stay on campus throughout the winter break. I'll have to keep doing research on this and meeting with people that can give me more information.

The Build Design & Whats Needed:

The Tank & Stand:
So the tank was my first real problem I ran into. Having a small budget forced me to look into other options besides a $300 frag tank. For the tank I decided to purchase a 40g breeder and then take it apart. I'm then going to be taking it to a glass shop where they will cut the glass down to the size I want. I aiming for a 36" Wide x 18" Deep x 9" High this will give me about 8 inches from the frag wrack to the top of the tank. The overflow box position is still in the works as I'm debating to either have it in the back center of the tank or on the right corner of the tank. The decision to put it in the right corner is because the sump design I'm looking at is only 15x15 inches. This means the return will have to be close to the overflow. I've come up with an idea that allows me to house the ATO and other equipment all inside the stand so everything is hidden. This design also allows the high flow in the right side of the tank while keeping lower flow towards the left side so I can have a wide variety of corals(I don't want to be limited).

Here is kind of the rough idea of the tank and stand idea. The stand is 36"x36"x18". I've also put a photo of what it would be like to look down at the 2x4s being used to hold everything up.

college.jpg
floor.jpg

The Sump:
This is the next thing on the to do list. updates soon to come

So far this is where I'm at in the build and so a lot will be added over the next few weeks. I've also been working on my own frag wrack design which will be used in this build. I know the "mock ups" arnt 3D but I'm terrible using 3D programs so using photoshop is so much easier for me

all feedback is welcome :)

wkscott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You love coral and I love coral. Does your roommate love coral? Will you be taking up too much space in the room? Tanks can sometimes smell. Will the noises from the sump pumps and gurgling water prevent your roommate from sleeping or studying?

Winter break: I stayed one year and took one class. A difficult and very boring accounting class. Five hours per day, four days a week. Forty hours+ homework weekly. Absolutely hated it. Don't even consider taking a winter break class unless it's skiing. NO coral is worth it.:D

OP
OP
Jisko

Jisko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You love coral and I love coral. Does your roommate love coral? Will you be taking up too much space in the room? Tanks can sometimes smell. Will the noises from the sump pumps and gurgling water prevent your roommate from sleeping or studying?

Winter break: I stayed one year and took one class. A difficult and very boring accounting class. Five hours per day, four days a week. Forty hours+ homework weekly. Absolutely hated it. Don't even consider taking a winter break class unless it's skiing. NO coral is worth it.:D

I reserved a extra large single dorm room which is double the size of a double meant for two people. So no roommate for me :)
My display tank and everything I have setup at home is in my room... next to my bed even haha and weird enough I love the sound of water so it knocks me right out at night :D

Yeah I'll be doing math classes over winter break... such a bummer but I know the professor and he isn't to harsh so it shouldnt be that bad :)

OP
OP
Jisko

Jisko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No roommate = good:p
Math class = horrible:mad:
you're telling me haha I had a roommate one semester... never again haha I've had an extra large single ever sense

yeah math is terrible -.- but I'll need it either way so its a good reason to sit inside and look at the corals all day haha

OP
OP
Jisko

Jisko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just a little update for people who are wondering...

I've been working on a few different designs. I'm really focused on keeping the sump because of the extra water volume and I'd also like to be able to grow macro algae and house different pods. I'm aiming to keep everything under $500 so that is something to keep in mind.

I still have a little while to make final decisions but this is kind of where I'm at right now.

This design would cost me about $150 for the tank, stand, sump, and plumbing. I'm also looking at painting it to help protect against water. The little section on the side is a little work station for when I'm adding new corals or just doing maintenance, feedings, etc. The display is a 20g long with a 10g sump. I've debated on changing it up a bit and changing out the 10g sump for a 20g long but I'm not sure yet. It really depends on how much its gonna cost because I already have a 10g sump in the basement ready to go.
Screen Shot 2017-04-18 at 10.35.27 PM.png

This is kind of what I was originally aiming for. Its a 24x24x10 tank on top with 2x 10g tanks below to create a duel tank sump. I created a thread talking about this idea and it seemed pretty cool. The back tank would house all the equipment and the front tanking being the refugium.
Screen Shot 2017-04-10 at 7.36.14 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-04-11 at 1.36.25 AM.png

OP
OP
Jisko

Jisko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Catch the Petco dollar a gallon sale.

Yeah im thats what im looking to do :) i have 2 or 3 tanks in the basement and 1 is turned into a sump so it's really just a debate to keep a 10g sump or go 20g sump for the extra water

Back